Episodes 1 and 2, 10pm on FX and Hulu.

Been waiting for this one.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Shogun premiers tonight [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reminder!

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Episodes 1 and 2, 10pm on FX and Hulu.

Been waiting for this one.

I agree looks good.

I intend to watch. I intend to let a few episodes fall (assuming they are falling one at a time) because I think this might be a "complicated" enough series to want to watch the first few at once.

thanks for posting
Quote Reply
Re: Shogun premiers tonight [Tylertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think this might be a "complicated" enough series to want to watch the first few at once.

Between my evening attention span and distractions and the types of shows I prefer I tend to watch new episodes twice before the next is released. It's incredible how much detail I miss on the first go round. And yeah, this looks like it could be one of those series.

I had to rewatch Dune last week before the second chapter came out because I didn't follow who was aligned with who the first go round, and that wasn't all that complicated of a plot in retrospect. My brain just doesn't sort that stuff out on the first go round, which is mostly taking in the aesthetics and characters on first viewing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember watching the Shogun mini-series back in the day, waiting each week for a new episode. I had to look up how long it lasted, but it was pretty good back then.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
I think this might be a "complicated" enough series to want to watch the first few at once.

Between my evening attention span and distractions and the types of shows I prefer I tend to watch new episodes twice before the next is released. It's incredible how much detail I miss on the first go round. And yeah, this looks like it could be one of those series.

I had to rewatch Dune last week before the second chapter came out because I didn't follow who was aligned with who the first go round, and that wasn't all that complicated of a plot in retrospect. My brain just doesn't sort that stuff out on the first go round, which is mostly taking in the aesthetics and characters on first viewing.

My thought and experience is similar. Thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: Shogun premiers tonight [Tylertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got derailed by a few other series, haven't watched since E3. Worth picking back up?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO yes. Hiroyuki Sanada, Anna Sawai and Tadanobu Asano all are great in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, yes it's worth it. Just watched E10 last night and, like Tyler says, I'll likely watch it again just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Watched most of them 2X - initially, just trying to keep up with who's who and the various plot lines. It's very well done, although there are a few scenes here and there that are laughably bad, but not enough to detract from the overall high quality.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shogun premiers tonight [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
IMO, yes it's worth it. Just watched E10 last night and, like Tyler says, I'll likely watch it again just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Watched most of them 2X - initially, just trying to keep up with who's who and the various plot lines. It's very well done, although there are a few scenes here and there that are laughably bad, but not enough to detract from the overall high quality.

I recommend the nymag recaps in their vulture vertical for making sure you get all the details placed - they're great. I'm also intrigued by which scenes stood out to you as bad. I honestly thought the entire season was stellar - one of the most satisfying prestige TV series I've ever seen. Mariko's teenage son wasn't a great actor for his 40 seconds of screen time. The CGI in the scene of Toranaga on a horse in the last episode was 8 out of 10 instead of the show's usual 9.5. Beyond those I have very few notes,

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Shogun premiers tonight [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the worth to finishing. Best to just get the book and read it again to fill in the holes and complexities left out in filming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
TiDriver wrote:

I recommend the nymag recaps in their vulture vertical for making sure you get all the details placed - they're great. I'm also intrigued by which scenes stood out to you as bad. I honestly thought the entire season was stellar - one of the most satisfying prestige TV series I've ever seen. Mariko's teenage son wasn't a great actor for his 40 seconds of screen time. The CGI in the scene of Toranaga on a horse in the last episode was 8 out of 10 instead of the show's usual 9.5. Beyond those I have very few notes,

Thanks for the tip on the recaps. I didn't really mind watching episodes a couple of times, as the cinematography was generally top notch and the story and characters compelling. When I said there were some bad scenes, I wasn't necessarily referring to acting alone. For example, in E10 when they were trying to pull the wrecked ship out of the harbor - there were maybe 30 guys pulling on those ropes and they got nowhere. Add 2 more guys and now they're able to drag tons of waterlogged ship through the sand? C'mon man. If those 2 guys had come with a bunch (and I mean a BUNCH) of others, then maybe it'd be easier to buy, but if they did, it wasn't evident in that scene. There were a couple others scattered about, some acting related and some simply factually unbelievable, but can't remember the details enough to recount here without rewatching. Also couldn't help thinking that Jarvis (Anjin) could have been the result of Russel Crowe and Mel Gibson having a son. Overall, thoroughly enjoyed it and my critiques are few.

Quote Reply
Re: Shogun premiers tonight [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
Bretom wrote:
TiDriver wrote:

Thanks for the tip on the recaps. I didn't really mind watching episodes a couple of times, as the cinematography was generally top notch and the story and characters compelling. When I said there were some bad scenes, I wasn't necessarily referring to acting alone. For example, in E10 when they were trying to pull the wrecked ship out of the harbor - there were maybe 30 guys pulling on those ropes and they got nowhere. Add 2 more guys and now they're able to drag tons of waterlogged ship through the sand? C'mon man. If those 2 guys had come with a bunch (and I mean a BUNCH) of others, then maybe it'd be easier to buy, but if they did, it wasn't evident in that scene. There were a couple others scattered about, some acting related and some simply factually unbelievable, but can't remember the details enough to recount here without rewatching. Also couldn't help thinking that Jarvis (Anjin) could have been the result of Russel Crowe and Mel Gibson having a son. Overall, thoroughly enjoyed it and my critiques are few.

Haha! ok, we're on exactly the same page about that boat scene, that was ridiculous. I was struggling to imagine they'd make any progress with less than 300 guys.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
TiDriver wrote:
Bretom wrote:
TiDriver wrote:

Haha! ok, we're on exactly the same page about that boat scene, that was ridiculous. I was struggling to imagine they'd make any progress with less than 300 guys.

Glad to hear that it's not just me being persnickety on this one. I'm willing to suspend my understanding of physics to a point to accommodate artistic license, but there are limits.

Quote Reply