Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Celebrating bipartisanship
Quote | Reply
The house passed aide to Israel and Ukraine without an attached border bill. Shouldn't people be happy.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Celebrating bipartisanship [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
The house passed aide to Israel and Ukraine without an attached border bill. Shouldn't people be happy.

Saturday night news dump.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrating bipartisanship [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:

Leadership here should be celebrated for allowing bipartisanship to the floor. It is refreshing to see the middle holding the winning hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrating bipartisanship [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
spockman wrote:

Leadership here should be celebrated for allowing bipartisanship to the floor. It is refreshing to see the middle holding the winning hand.

How many Ukrainians and Palestinians lost their lives because "leadership" took six months to do what was right? Right up there with calling VP Pence a "hero" because he did what he was supposed to do on January 6. Speaker Johnson finally got his ass out of the way; for that, he should get a modicum of credit.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrating bipartisanship [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO do the dems protect Johnson now, or let that party burn itself down once again, just in time for the election too!!!

I'm somewhat conflicted on this, half of me wants them to give him his due, but the other half wants to punish him and his party for taking so long, and for their general disregard in the whole matter and seeing it as only a political weapon to use...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
gofigure wrote:
spockman wrote:

How many Ukrainians and Palestinians lost their lives because "leadership" took six months to do what was right? Right up there with calling VP Pence a "hero" because he did what he was supposed to do on January 6. Speaker Johnson finally got his ass out of the way; for that, he should get a modicum of credit.

He let's people fuck around and play games but in the end he recognizes there has to be a functioning government.

It is sad that yesterday I'm having good feelings towards him just because he didn't burn the place down.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
gofigure wrote:
spockman wrote:

Delaying money for Israel was from the Left dude.

The US never truly stopped delivering munitions to Ukraine BTW
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrating bipartisanship [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
SO do the dems protect Johnson now, or let that party burn itself down once again, just in time for the election too!!!

I'm somewhat conflicted on this, half of me wants them to give him his due, but the other half wants to punish him and his party for taking so long, and for their general disregard in the whole matter and seeing it as only a political weapon to use...

Even if they support Johnson for speaker, they would effectively be pouring gasoline on the GOP fire. The whackjobs want to burn the house down if they don't get their way.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrating bipartisanship [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Tell him to denounce DJT and they’ll (Dems) will save him when the vacate vote comes.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrating bipartisanship [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

When was the last time a bill (by either party) was past without the majority of the majority (most of GOP voted against the bill).
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrating bipartisanship [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Oh, yeah, exactly.

The Ukrainians gave up Avdiivka because their soldiers were just getting bored and wanted to go to Hawaii on vacation. And the Ukrainian military was just rationing shells to be able to save some for their big 4th of July celebrations. Yeah, that's it! 🤣

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 23, 24 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrating bipartisanship [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:

Quote:

When was the last time a bill (by either party) was past without the majority of the majority (most of GOP voted against the bill).

I was going to respond with a "I don't know", but then remembered this internet google fu thingy was there to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastert_rule#: This wiki page offers up a fair account of the recent Speakers and how they acted with regard to legislation that lacked the support of the majority of the majority . Exceptions are rare.

Quote:
Tip O'Neill: position of giving Ronald Reagan enough rope to eventually strangle himself .

Tom Foley: "I think you don't want to bring bills to the floor that a majority of your party is opposed to routinely but sometimes when a great issue is at stake, I think you need to do that."

Pelosi: "I'm the Speaker of the House...I have to take into consideration something broader than the majority of the majority in the Democratic Caucus." She also said at that time, "I would encourage my colleagues not to be proposing resolutions that say 'the majority of the majority does this or that.' We have to talk it out, see what is possible to get a job done. And as I say, we do that together."

Boehner: he kept the government running with his exception to the rule but when handed a no brainer bipartisan supported Senate bill on comprehensive immigration reform he showed cowardice.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrating bipartisanship [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

US never truly stopped delivering munitions to Israel BTW.
Quote Reply