Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Military disability and continuing work [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
19.5% of veterans receive disability compensation payments. That does not sound like systematic rigging of the system.

https://www.census.gov/...terans-report.html#:~:text=Nearly%203.9%20million%20veterans%20(19.5,600%2C000%20veterans%20received%20pension%20payments.
Quote Reply
Re: Military disability and continuing work [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

Lots of substance abuse and PTSD that complicates the management of critically ill Veterans. I have seen on more than one occasion the TV turned to a War Film channel. Families and staff know them well, and know they are sometimes more calm and at peace during active war scenes. It paradoxically helps them as it is something tangible they relate to, helps them feel more oriented. I can’t begin to imagine.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my dad (Vietnam) had undiagnosed PTSD, and we used to watch all the old WWII movies, which he loved.

But Vietnam? Nope. Full Metal Jacket was a hard pass. Not only would he not watch it, if you had it on 3 rooms over from him at normal volume he'd start screaming for you to turn it off.

He never, ever talked about Vietnam. Not once. I heard an awful story from one of his buddies. That's all I know.

Seeing the scale of human wreckage going to VA hospitals with my wife is just sobering. Spanning generations. Something largely invisible to most people.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 24, 24 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Military disability and continuing work [kbskelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbskelly wrote:
BLUF: so much abuse of the system

I am a GS in an O3 slot as a veterinarian, so not “real Army.” I am responsible for three junior enlisted 68T Soldiers at a time, veterinary technicians, so a pretty nice job. More than half of them have medically retired with 70% and more for “anxiety,” tinittus, and lower back pain. They have seen 3-5 years of air conditioning, ergonomic desk chairs, and hydraulic lift exam tables. They openly voice that these are issues that can not be objectively tested for and enjoy a year of back massages on duty time before medical retirement as an E4-5. I have a very limited view, but they know the game and a 1-2 yr timeline to retirement to never having to work again in their late 20s. They’re all “on profile” so can’t restrain military working dogs for anything and I’m a 48 yr old woman doing it while they laugh at me for the absurdity.

Well, everyone knows those Army guys are total dirtbags....

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Military disability and continuing work [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
19.5% of veterans receive disability compensation payments. That does not sound like systematic rigging of the system.

Like any system, there are definitely those who will find the ways to abuse it for personal benefit. I obviously can only speak to my experience and the Sailors I've watched or helped transition out of the Navy. My impression has been that there isn't widespread horrific abuse of the system to get benefits for people who don't qualify. There are some people trying to get just as much as they can qualify for, kind of like doing your taxes and trying to get your maximum refund. There are some who know they don't have much wrong with them and aren't going to be bothered. There are guys like me who made their claim fully expecting to get about 20% rating and got a lot more instead because we tend to undervalue the degree to which 30 years in the military can cause problems.

You get the whole range, and sure, that includes some abuse.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next