Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What should I do?
Quote | Reply
I had diarrhea (no smart comments) for 3 weeks it ended up with me in the hospital with muscles around my intestines in a spasm. They thought I cought something on a cruise ship or on a island. During this time I continued to train and also got a skin problem which i thought was from clorine,Then I came down with a really bad cold and sinus infection. I never felt bad enought to stop training but this Sunday I hit the wall swimming I just couldn't do anything. I have been on medication for this STUFF for along time.
I'm doing i/2 ironman Gulf Coast in May. Should I take a week off then start slowly or take a week off then pick up where my training plan is, Or should I not take time off and cut way back? Has anyone else had this happen? I don't think I was over training but it may be my body saying something
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do? [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at it this way--what's more important, my health? or my race that will happen again next year?

It stinks to take time off but life is more important than racing, most of us are not pro's. If your somewhat in shape, a week off probably will not affect you that much. It will help more than it hurts!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take time off, your body needs to use its energy to heal not to swim,bike, run. You will get better much more quickly if you take time off to get healthy so you can then train properly instead of half assed training because you are sick.
I am also glad that I don't swim in the same pool or go to the same gym as you if you have been going while sick.

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take a full week off occasionally if I'm feeling beat, sick, or just way too busy with work and other non-fun stuff. You do lose a bit of fitness, but it comes back quickly. I always feel reinvigorated after the week off. I'd definitely do it if you're pretty sick. Just think of it as a light recovery week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I vote for time off. It sounds like there are a couple things going on. Are you sure your doctor is up to speed on all your symptoms? I hope you feel better soon, sounds quite unpleasant. Good luck and better health to you.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember you writing that you had lost 20 pounds on a diet of Balance bars. I'm no expert but it seems that the combinaton of poor nutrition and increased training has caught up with you.

Without proper recovery, no improvement in conditioning will take place. So by further pushing yourself without recovering you are only going to get in worse shape.

The desire to improve is positive but there are no short cuts. Besides, unless you are an elite the goal is to enjoy the sport for a long time.
Quote Reply