Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Muncie Endurathon History [Steven Tomboni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steven Tomboni wrote:
All:

As one chapter comes to a close; another exciting chapter opens. We welcome Ironman Muncie 70.3 to one of the oldest triathlon venues in America this weekend with the first race way back in 1980!
Tell us all some of your fondest memories of coming here, living here, barely finishing in the heat or qualifying for IMH in the early days.

Did this one bloody hot year & a Michigan pro named Rob Wood won it, with the eldest DeBoom brother (Todd, an M.D. recently retired), taking second. This was before either Tim or Tony DeBoom were household names--so met Todd afterwards with his dad. I never heard of Tim or Tony at that time. Years later, I was swimming laps at my local pool and who should ask to hop into the lane? Todd (just getting out of Med School--had moved here with his 2 brothers & they were household names at that point.) Of course, Rob (the winner) had also moved to the same town! Small world, good people--show up at the darnedest places seemingly so randomly.

Oddly enough--that same year I had met another amateur triathlete named Rob Wood (not related to the one who won OA at Muncie), who also lived in town. Todd & pro Rob I'd see regularly at the pool--Muncie is where I met 2 of the 3 of these gents. I do think Todd had the potential to race pro as well--he was an amazingly fast AG'r. We all recalled how our shoes were sticking to the asphalt like glue that year (and alledgedly, same went for other years). Great race though--lots of fun.
Quote Reply

Prev Next