Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

getting fitted ?
Quote | Reply
I will be getting fitted into a new bike soon. I already hade a 2 1/2 hour session with my LBS's fitter on a computrainer and discovered a) that my current bike is too big and b) need a new bike. (Note: I trust the LBS and agree with the need for new bike.)

Questions: I'll be trying 3 or four different bikes -- during the first session I spent a lot of time trying one of the bikes already -- and buying the one that fits and feels best regardless of brand and model (No need for Demerly's rant on fit now). The LBs said to plan 2 - 3 hours on this session.

However, I'll be doing all the testing on the computrainer (weather is not good in midwest for riding now). Can I get a proper feel for the bike on the trainer or do I need to take it for at least a quck spin -- which I guess would be possible. All the bikes I am looking at are significant upgrades from my current entry level road bike both in components, setup and materials, so I anticipate they all will feel much different that what I'm accustomed to.

Just looking for some input and help here -- this bike stuff is newer to me.

thanks..

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: getting fitted ? [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me ask you this: By riding a bike how can you tell it fits? If your answer is "By how it feels" I strongly disagree with using that as a buying tool.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: getting fitted ? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom, I'm not questioning the need to get fitted properly, but there is a "feel" question that needs to be answered as well that I'm not sure gets answered on the trainer (maybe it does???). my main question is "is it ok to buy a bike based on how it fits and feels on the trainer."

I come from a running background and never would buy a pair of shoes without running on them for at least 10 - 15 minutes -- preferably longer, but few places will let you take shoes for a 1 1/2 hour jog! I've tried many shoes of virtually identical dimension and size (and at times the same brand) that have felt very different -- ranging from very comfortable to uncomfortable.

I had a very bad experience with my first bike -- the shop didn't spend 1 second (yes thats seconds!) fitting me -- I was an unknowing bike comsumer that was taken advantage of. I trust the shop I'm working with, but want the information to make the right decision.

Thanks.

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi lacverde, First off, I want to apologize for handing off the canned answer. Is it OK to buy a bike based on the fit and feel on an indoor trainer? No, IMHO, it is not an adequate test to confirm this is the correct bike. Is it OK to buy a bike after an extended (more than 1 hour but less than 3 hours) test ride outdoors in a real riding environment? No, I don't think that is either. No comes the controversy: How do you do it? Trust the person fitting you. If they know what they are doing, have experience and good product knowledge then do what they recommend. If they have to rely on fitting you on a trainer, I would not take their recommendation. We only use an indoor trainer for the final fit on bicycles we have already sized (stem, bar, crank, seatposty, saddle, pedals)for a customer, and when we do, we always tell them "The bike will feel different outside in the real world." In general the reach measurement on a trainer (static environment) feels longer than it actually "is" in a real world, outdoor road environment. I hope that helps, I don't mean to frustrate you, but bike fitters have a huge obligation and incur a sacred trust to the people they recommend bikes to.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it took 2.5 hours and a computrainer for someone at your LBS to figure out that a) your current size is too big, and b) you need a new bike, it suggests that your LBS does not have the most qualified fit experts. First, bike size has nothing to do with the features that a computrainer offers. Theoretically, you should be able to figure out someone's ideal size for a specific brand and model by knowing a couple of body dimensions and comparing that to a bike's geometry on a piece of paper in a matter of minutes. Practically, an experienced and knowledgeable fitter can usually estimate someone's frame size based on their apparent body dimensions (like height, torso/leg length). And if more than one option exists, the correct size usually becomes apparent when the person hops on a trainer for further examination.

And then when it comes to getting fit to a new bike, you shouldn't have to "try" 3 or 4 different bikes to see if they "fit" properly because the shop ought to be able to fit you the same on each bike or tell you the fit limitations of certain bikes to help guide you towards your decision. Based on the fit limitations of the bikes you try (such as forks cut shorter on some brands vs. others, e.g. QR/Felt vs. Cervelo), you ought to then get a sense of what to look for in regards to better or worse fit on the bike based on the shop's advice and your own sense of what your ideal position feels like.

Tom's advice to trust the fitter is really what it comes to though as many bikes are so alike in spec and initial "feel" whether on the road or indoors that you really have to just go with the fitter's recommendation if "best fit" is your top priority.

Kelvin
Quote Reply