Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
monty wrote:
And here is another guy I used to train with in the pool in the 90's while he was working towards his triathlon olympic dream, 3;55 mile and 13;24 5k..

https://worldathletics.org/...eg-whiteley-14254786

And we have guys that ran much faster miles than he did too!!! Low 3;50's as I recall...

And all before super shoes too, so handicapped maybe a 13;15???

I would not consider Motram as a pro triathlete at all, and the other american man you mentioned neither. I was meaning pro triathletes, but in a long basis and competing in the big races (not a former athlete turned a sort of age grouper)... The brownlees and gomez have not recorded either better PBs than Wilde or Yee...so I could suspect Paris will be the fastest run ever in triathlon? I think they are quite even. Waiting to see Blummenfelt's shape after these months...I don't think none of the frenchmen will be close to the big 2.

they need to make the swim-bike incredibly hard to keep wilde-yee away.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not consider Motram as a pro triathlete at all, and the other american man you mentioned neither//

Ok, so discussion with you is only about who you think are the pros, not the actual pros that have raced the sport..You should have said up front that you cannot be wrong no matter what, and then you could carry on with your right thinking about your sport... Never mind those guys I mentioned, or Derek Kite, Benjamin Parades, or Alan Webb, most of who raced ITU for a time, some years, I guess they just dont count in our history since you were not around then.....
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would not consider Motram as a pro triathlete at all, and the other american man you mentioned neither//

Ok, so discussion with you is only about who you think are the pros, not the actual pros that have raced the sport..You should have said up front that you cannot be wrong no matter what, and then you could carry on with your right thinking about your sport... Never mind those guys I mentioned, or Derek Kite, Benjamin Parades, or Alan Webb, most of who raced ITU for a time, some years, I guess they just dont count in our history since you were not around then.....

Mottram didn't run that time off of tri training.

Big difference.

And please don't start the "Athlete X from 1992 could have easily broken 29...."
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be as blind a the other poster, no need to say they could have, they did.. And this was just one guy that I happened to train with for a couple years while he was doing ITU, there were others, and with old plodding shoes;

https://worldathletics.org/...eg-whiteley-14254786
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty, did he run those times when he was training as a triathlete or as a runner?

mottram and webb ran their times as runners.

I understand Daniel Kowalski has done at least 1 triathlon. 1996 Summer Olympics he got 3 medals, 2 bronzes in 200 and 400 free and silver in 1500 free. Not sure if many people faster than him have done triathlons. This does not mean that triathlon has swimmers as fast the top elites. Lucy Charles would still get thrashed at an olympic level, yet she is one of the most dominant swimmers we have seen in triathlon history.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty, did he run those times when he was training as a triathlete or as a runner? //

Yes greg did those runs as a triathlete, at least the 13;24 5k in 1993. Look, none of these guys today just magically became top runners overnight, they all had run backgrounds at some point. Do we think Yee just did a 27;50 10k because he was a triathlete?? Lots of top racers come from a background in one of the other sports, and a rare few even get faster as a pro triathlete too.

But what are we really talking about here, is there some formula to discern if someone is eligible to be the fastest in one of the 3 sports, or should we just use the clock and the fact that they were/are pro triathletes? Does everyone presume that Hayden doesnt come from a run background?

There are now a group of pro triathletes that did come up through the 3 sport programs since they were nippers, but if you dig deep there, many also excelled at one of the sports and often pursue that sport individually. We had a super promising kid like that here, one of the fastest ever high school runners in history, and a scholarship runner at Oregon. But he was a triathlete first as a young kid, and just followed his dream of running, then to return to triathlon. Is a kid like that allowed to be in the conversations of fastest ever, I'm not sure where you all are drawing the lines of who gets in and who doesnt. Is there some rule it has to be during triathlon training too, fill me in and I can play by these rules..

And your guy Daniel isnt a pro triathlete just for doing 1 triathlon, give me some credit. The guys I'm talking about raced in pro races and had a go at making a living. So for swimmers you would have to go back to my day and it would be a guy named Djan Madruga. Pro triathlete for many, many years, and olympic finalist in several events and medal winner too. Did he win those medals triple training for triathlon, of course not, no one ever does that at that level. But it was shortly after those medals he became a pro, and his off the front swims were legendary, only accompanied by the likes of Paul Donahue or Rob Mackel...
Last edited by: monty: May 2, 24 19:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wilde played hockey as a kid as I understand it. No other single sport background
Quote Reply

Prev Next