Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon After Shoulder Replacement
Quote | Reply
Howdy. On June 3 of 2021 I had my right shoulder replaced after suffering from significant pain from osteoarthritis. I've been a triathlete since 1999 but like many, didn't do much during Covid. My surgeon cleared me to swim at 3 months post surgery (although with nothing to train for, I didn't start swimming until January) and to play tennis at 6 months. That said, he never would give me any specific guidelines as to how much activity my new shoulder could safely handle. He just authorized "moderate" levels of activity.

So, I did my first triathlon (sprint) in 3 years this past weekend. It was a 400 meter pool swim that I got thru fairly well.

My question....has anyone else here had full shoulder replacement and continued to race? How much swimming volume have you done? Did you get any specific guidance from your surgeon? I'm open to any and all info. I sure as hell don't want to have to go under the knife again, but I also don't want to just sit on the couch and slowly fade away.

Thanks...MG
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon After Shoulder Replacement [Endure31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endure31 wrote:
Howdy. On June 3 of 2021 I had my right shoulder replaced after suffering from significant pain from osteoarthritis. I've been a triathlete since 1999 but like many, didn't do much during Covid. My surgeon cleared me to swim at 3 months post surgery (although with nothing to train for, I didn't start swimming until January) and to play tennis at 6 months. That said, he never would give me any specific guidelines as to how much activity my new shoulder could safely handle. He just authorized "moderate" levels of activity.

So, I did my first triathlon (sprint) in 3 years this past weekend. It was a 400 meter pool swim that I got thru fairly well.

My question....has anyone else here had full shoulder replacement and continued to race? How much swimming volume have you done? Did you get any specific guidance from your surgeon? I'm open to any and all info. I sure as hell don't want to have to go under the knife again, but I also don't want to just sit on the couch and slowly fade away.

Thanks...MG

A lot depends on the type of replacement you had and whether you have muscle impairment. Me, I’m 3 years post op for a reverse total shoulder replacement. Didn’t do a standard replacement because all four rotator cuff tendons are fully ruptured and I wouldn’t have any functionality at all. As it is, I have no active rotation and very limited use of the arm. If you’re able to swim, I’m jealous.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon After Shoulder Replacement [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
Endure31 wrote:

Thanks...MG

A lot depends on the type of replacement you had and whether you have muscle impairment. Me, I’m 3 years post op for a reverse total shoulder replacement. Didn’t do a standard replacement because all four rotator cuff tendons are fully ruptured and I wouldn’t have any functionality at all. As it is, I have no active rotation and very limited use of the arm. If you’re able to swim, I’m jealous.

Dang....sorry to hear that. I had a traditional (non reverse) replacement with no other significant damage in the shoulder other than bone spurs. While my use and rotation is not that of my natural shoulder, it allows for a pretty similar swim and tennis stroke to what I used to have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I haven't had a shoulder replacement, but thought I'd share some of my experience with my shoulder.

I had an arthroscopic shoulder operation in 2016. The reason for that was a long-lasting shoulder injury - a 'simple' shoulder injury turned into an impeachment syndrome, which couldn't be helped with rest nor physiotherapy nor hyaluronic acid injection. It wasn't clear whether I broke my acromion. I couldn't exercise nor even sleep well.

During the arthroscopic operation they did: rotators debridement, partial bursectomy and subacrominal space decompression (no titanium nor adamantium lol). I didn't start to exercise immediately and that was a mistake. I also didn't go to physio soon enough and that was a mistake as well. I re-gained around 95% (with 0 pain) of the original shoulder functionality around 6 months post operation. It has been around that percentage until now.

I started doing triathlon training only in 2020, so here my training type / volume experience:
  • I'm fine with swimming 3x / week, but whenever I increase to 4x / week I get a shoulder pain at some point (seems like I need to have a day rest in-between the sessions; I tried that in 2020, then in 2021 and now again in 2022, and the pain has always been showing up after 2-4 weeks after starting swimming 4x / week)
  • I can do long (for me) sessions of >3000m without issues
  • There's a technique / mobility difference between my arms - my weaker arm sinks slightly (I have learned front crawl swimming a few years after the operation, because before I could do maybe only 100m straight)
  • I should be careful with toys - I'm a fan of pool buoy + paddles (simply because my legs sink as well lol), but doing it heavy 2 days in a row is a no go

Best, Michal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Endure31!

I am 6 weeks out from a total shoulder replacement that also involved 2 rotator cuff tears (bike crash), so I'm curious to know how you are doing, especially with swimming. I have dabbled in triathlon in the past, just shorter distances (nothing longer than an Olympic) but it's been several years since I have done a race. I have kept up with swimming and biking recreationally. I'd really like to be able to maintain some level of swimming activity, but am concerned about having to have a revision surgery in the future (I'm only 49) if I do too much.

Anyway, if you're still around the forum, would love to hear an update. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon After Shoulder Replacement [mcclelland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there....sorry to hear about the crash..

Well, I have done a couple of tris since my surgery, but my ruined right knee is more a limiter then my shoulder. That said, I've still not been able to ride in the aerobars for any length of time due to the pressure it puts on my shoulder. If I were to decided on a longer race that Oly, I'd have to work on some significant modifications to my bike to be able to hold that position for any worthwhile time, or just ride the road bike. I don't have the range of motion back that I had before my shoulder really went downhill, but it's enough to swim.

Hope that helps....

MG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon After Shoulder Replacement [mcclelland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not shoulder replacement, but a number of surgeries on my shoulder, screws and wire etc that was 15 years ago. I was back swimming 8 months later, low volume. Had problems with it a few years later, multiple cortisone shots (which did nothing). But now it's good. It took a few years and just gradually got better bit by bit. Have done a few 20km races on it and 35km+/week in the pool with no issues. The only problem is I can't sleep on that side and never will be able to. So you might find it giving you grief after a year or two and feel that that is as good as it's going to get, but it might just take a while. I would say mine took a good 5 years to come good.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon After Shoulder Replacement [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Not shoulder replacement, but a number of surgeries on my shoulder, screws and wire etc that was 15 years ago. I was back swimming 8 months later, low volume. Had problems with it a few years later, multiple cortisone shots (which did nothing). But now it's good. It took a few years and just gradually got better bit by bit. Have done a few 20km races on it and 35km+/week in the pool with no issues. The only problem is I can't sleep on that side and never will be able to. So you might find it giving you grief after a year or two and feel that that is as good as it's going to get, but it might just take a while. I would say mine took a good 5 years to come good.

Zed - JOOC, were you swimming 35K/wk before your various surgeries??? Do you still have the screws and wire in your shoulder??? Thanks, Eric.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon After Shoulder Replacement [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Zed - JOOC, were you swimming 35K/wk before your various surgeries??? Do you still have the screws and wire in your shoulder??? Thanks, Eric.

Not directly leading up to the injury, but as a kid I was doing decent volume. Then post surgery was squad swimming 10k a week and a few seasons where I just swam and did 35+. The point I was making was that although it did take me a few years for the shoulder to come good, it's now Ok and can handle decent volume. Screws are out, but wire is in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Not directly leading up to the injury, but as a kid I was doing decent volume. Then post surgery was squad swimming 10k a week and a few seasons where I just swam and did 35+. The point I was making was that although it did take me a few years for the shoulder to come good, it's now Ok and can handle decent volume. Screws are out, but wire is in.

Right, I got your point in the beginning, and it's great you stuck with swimming. Based on your latest input, I'm guessing your shoulder injury was due to some sort of non-swimming injury, like perhaps a bike wreck or bad fall when running???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Right, I got your point in the beginning, and it's great you stuck with swimming. Based on your latest input, I'm guessing your shoulder injury was due to some sort of non-swimming injury, like perhaps a bike wreck or bad fall when running???

Rugby! Dislocated AC joint with all ligaments ruptured. I gave up ever playing rugby or swimming again, but was able to carry on with both. Must have had a pretty good surgeon, I know folk with grade 5 dislocations that were a lot worse post surgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Rugby! Dislocated AC joint with all ligaments ruptured. I gave up ever playing rugby or swimming again, but was able to carry on with both. Must have had a pretty good surgeon, I know folk with grade 5 dislocations that were a lot worse post surgery.

Ah of course, rugby!!! Well, I'm glad you had a complete (I think?) recovery and are able to do both sports. Obv though it took a lot of determination for you to spend 5 yrs building back your swimming. Thanks for the story. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No dramas :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your experience Zed. It's helpful to hear from others to be patient, especially as mine is a particularly slow rehabilitation due to the multiple tendon tears I had in addition to the "normal" shoulder replacement stuff.

Apparently the issue with shoulder replacements is that they can loosen over time (where the prosthetics are cemented to the bones) and require a revision surgery. My surgeon indicated they don't like to do elective shoulder replacements before about the age of 60 in order to minimize the possibility of a revision due to loosening (i.e. you're dead before that happens). Obviously mine was not elective and so my clock is ticking a decade earlier than preferred. I haven't looked into any studies myself (I don't want to know yet) but my surgeon mentioned that some early studies are indicating that with the current methods and prosthetics it may not be as big of a problem as they think. Fingers crossed that's the case!
Quote Reply