Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri clubs / training in Qatar
Quote | Reply
Hi

Later this year it looks like I'll be moving to live and work in Qatar.

Anyone got any recommendations- where to train, who to train with?

I appreciate it can be 'quite hot at times'

Cheers FT
Quote Reply
Re: Tri clubs / training in Qatar [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fruit thief wrote:
Hi

Later this year it looks like I'll be moving to live and work in Qatar.

Anyone got any recommendations- where to train, who to train with?

I appreciate it can be 'quite hot at times'

Cheers FT

I lived there before I did tri, so not sure if there are tri clubs. But the place is insanely hot. The hottest it got when we lived there was 50C (122F) and often the lowest in summer would be 32/33C. Anyone that ran back when I was there did so in winter, summer was usually in air conditioned gyms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived and worked in Qatar from 2009 - 2012. During that time the bike club Qatar Chain Reaction was born and has become a the main bike club in Doha. There was no official triathlon club while I was there but a few triathlons here and there. I believe there is now Triathlon club Tri Doha and I am sure you will find out about the Tri club through the bike club.

Back in the day QCR used to meet on the Corniche early mornings and ride out to Al Khor on the hard shoulder of the main road. Training and time trials took place around the service roads of Lusail - although I believe they have built a football stadium there now so not sure if that still takes place. There were the odd time trail around Lusail track and I believe there is still bike racing around the track.

Occasionally we would drive out to Dukhan where there was another big Expat community and a separat bike club. We would have races and TT's out there. There was also the annual North to South ride which is self explanatory and regular 100 mile rides.

I believe these days the club meets somewhere on the Pearl just oustide Doha and rides from there. You will need to get up really early to miss the heat and the humidity - but I had a great time riding with the club. I am sure you will too. I hope you like flat roads - no need for 2 chain rings up front thats for sure!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I coach a guy who lives there, very active Tri scene driven by the exPat community. He lives in Doha
triclubdoha.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that info, much appreciated. So sun cream and a 1x it is :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been out here for over a year now & just want to say to anyone else heading out this way - look up Tri Club Doha.

Great bunch of people & a busy tri calendar October to April.
Quote Reply