Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman World Championship - Nice - Additional Slots
Quote | Reply
Just curious. Anyone else received an email like this due to them participating in an Ironman race last year? I also received an email for a 70.3 world championship slot in Italy, but the last time I did a 70.3 was a decade ago. For the message below, I actually did a race in Chatt last year, 8th in my AG. There were 5 slots available last year in my AG. Only asking because earlier this year I got an email saying that I qualified for the USAT oly/sprint Championship, but the last time that I did an oly/sprint was a decade ago, which I thought was because they were short on athletes vs me being fast at anything.

"Congratulations!

We have added slots for the 2022 IRONMAN Chattanooga event and you received a slot! Please note that the link below expires after 48 hours. After 48 hours, the slot will roll to the next athlete in your age group.
You are now ready to finalize your registration for the 2023 IRONMAN World Championship in Nice, France that will take place on September 10, 2023 (the “Event”). Please use the link at the bottom of this email to access your registration form and complete your entry.

I understand that I am accepting a qualifying slot for the 2023 IRONMAN World Championship taking place in Nice, France on September 10, 2023. Upon acceptance of the slot, I understand I will not be permitted to defer my slot to a future IRONMAN World Championship event and will be subject to the withdrawal policy of the event as follows:
Withdrawal requests must be received in writing via e-mail to kona@ironman.com. Without exception, all requests must be received on or before July 27, 2023 to be eligible for a partial refund of $175.00. Deferrals are NOT permitted."

Last edited by: rrheisler: Mar 24, 23 10:24
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship - Nice - Additional Slots [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
Only asking because earlier this year I got an email saying that I qualified for the USAT oly/sprint Championship, but the last time that I did an oly/sprint was a decade ago, which I thought was because they were short on athletes vs me being fast at anything.

Certain placement at a USAT sanctioned race of any distance qualifies for USAT Nationals. https://www.teamusa.org/...nships/qualification
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship - Nice - Additional Slots [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that you have to place, but I have friends to who got the USAT National slots email who hadn't race any distance (i.e., they've got of the game) for 5 years and got the same USAT email. We all chuckle at that email when we got it. I was just curious to see if the 70.3 and 140.6 email was for the same reason or it was actually because I came in 8th in my AG in Sept of 2022

jwmott wrote:
zoom wrote:
Only asking because earlier this year I got an email saying that I qualified for the USAT oly/sprint Championship, but the last time that I did an oly/sprint was a decade ago, which I thought was because they were short on athletes vs me being fast at anything.

Certain placement at a USAT sanctioned race of any distance qualifies for USAT Nationals. https://www.teamusa.org/...nships/qualification

Quote | Reply
I just got one for my 15th placing in M40 in IM Maryland last year. If I wasn't already doing 70.3WC Lahti, it'd be a slam dunk, but I'm not sure I can take 2 transatlantic trips in a month, and then gear up for IMAZ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the email today. I was 6th in my AG at Chattanooga and the rolldown stopped at 5 so I figured if they added any, I'd get one.

I'm torn on it. I've been chasing the KQ for years and am at 11 fulls this year and signed up for number 12 this fall that would put me on track for the legacy or outright qualification for 2024. At the same time, I'm recently married and our daughter just turned one. Last year was actually not that hard to train because my wife was nursing and there was only so much I could do to help. Now that she's playing and moving towards walking, I'm having a blast being a dad and also can contribute more which means it's harder to sneak in a workout.

Part of me wants to go do it. Check the Ironman World championship box and then retire from that distance til we are done having kids and I fill good about putting time into it again.
Last edited by: Gtjojo189: Mar 24, 23 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship - Nice - Additional Slots [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
I just got one for my 15th placing in M40 in IM Maryland last year. If I wasn't already doing 70.3WC Lahti, it'd be a slam dunk, but I'm not sure I can take 2 transatlantic trips in a month, and then gear up for IMAZ.

I just got the notification but no link from Active. That being said I was 105th on the 50-55 AG. Fingers crossed so I can say I "Qualified" for the world championship and cause some on ST to lose their minds lmao.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship - Nice - Additional Slots [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In in the same boat as you. I have a legacy slot if I wanted it. I'm torn also. Unlike you, I've never ever ever been anywhere near the zipcode of qualifying. I will probably never get to the zip code again. So, do I take Nice or do Kona on legacy? On one hand, it's cool to race as a qualifier. On the other, I'd be missing out on Kona. I've vacationed to both places, so Nice is definitely a much better city to be in for stuff outside of racing.

Gtjojo189 wrote:
I got the email today. I was 6th in my AG at Chattanooga and the rolldown stopped at 5 so I figured if they added any, I'd get one.
I'm torn on it. I've been chasing the KQ for years and am at 11 fulls this year and signed up for number 12 this fall that would put me on track for the legacy or outright qualification for 2024. At the same time, I'm recently married and our daughter just turned one. Last year was actually not that hard to train because my wife was nursing and there was only so much I could do to help. Now that she's playing and moving towards walking, I'm having a blast being a dad and also can contribute more which means it's harder to sneak in a workout.

Part of me wants to go do it. Check the Ironman World championship box and then retire from that distance til we are done having kids and I fill good about putting time into it again.

Quote | Reply
Dude, I'm a legit 2 hour non-wetsuit swimmer on a fair course. Just strutting around with some 140.6 qualifier gear on, in front of the the ST folks, turns me on like nobody's business :)

davegibb26.2 wrote:
timbasile wrote:

I just got the notification but no link from Active. That being said I was 105th on the 50-55 AG. Fingers crossed so I can say I "Qualified" for the world championship and cause some on ST to lose their minds lmao.

Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:

My understanding was that accepting the Nice spot does not affect your Kona Legacy status.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship - Nice - Additional Slots [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

You could walk from Lahti and do Nice ?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship - Nice - Additional Slots [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was saying it more as in for so long I chased Kona qualification which was the same as qualifying for the Ironman world championships. By getting the email today I have technically qualified by race performance. One can argue that the qualification is diluted since it’s not at the same location as Kona but I think over the years we’ve seen qualification standards tighten, then loosen and so at the end of the day I’m not going to nitpick the details. I have checked the box that I have qualified.

As far as Kona and the legacy. Now that I’m starting a family and have technically qualified for the world championship, I’m not sure if it’s worth the headache of trying to stay in the Ironman game to do Kona after this year. I played the game, they changed the rules towards the end requiring more of me and I’m not sure if I want to keep playing because of the family sacrifice needed. The luster is a little lost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So - my husband got a MEGA rolldown for when the WC was in St George. Ironman was very clear that him taking that slot did not affect his legacy for Kona. Not sure if they've changed their minds, so you might still get your legacy.
Quote Reply