Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Recommend a wheelset <$2,000 [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aero Coach: Titan and Disc USD 2,654.33

Again, not sure there is enough value in spending $800 more than the Light Bicycle for this set up. These are pretty much the four wheelsets I've nailed it down to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And then Yoeleo will probably come in around USD 1600 for 88 and Disc.

HED at a premium. Like the product, struggle to justify the price.

Light Bicycle is probably leading based on customer feedback. Yoeleo is also well priced. Haven’t seen as many customer reviews though. Anything I’m missing?
Last edited by: JerseyBigfoot: Aug 13, 23 3:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did a review on the Shimano Ultegra C60 that are a really nice choice for the price range.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...l_Upgrade__8741.html

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a wheelset <$2,000 [Ewynn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have Jet 6 Black already on road bike. Want a set for racing only; whether that’s 88/90mm front and back or 88/90 mm front and disc rear. From an OCD perspective, I’d get Jet 9/Disc… if only they hadn’t changed their 20% off to be Jet4/6 on I would have pulled the trigger already.

Of the cheaper wheels, which have the best build quality?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwissSide Hadron is on sale. Use that for the front and whatever disc floats your boat for the rear?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a wheelset <$2,000 [blackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackey wrote:
SwissSide Hadron is on sale. Use that for the front and whatever disc floats your boat for the rear?

Thanks for the heads up in the sale. The SS are nice wheels but the shipping is a killer even with the discount. 800 front and rear is coming out at €1300 which seems a really good price, then shipping is €400 on top! HED shipping is around $30… I will contact SwissSide and see if I can find cheaper shipping option.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a wheelset <$2,000 [stewie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out Caden stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stewie wrote:
Looking for new wheels after going to disc brakes. What are the top choices at this price? (deep front/disc)

Just came across this in my search for wheelsets:

Marvel 82D Disc/82mm/$619 (The 82V is rim break for the same price)

full wheelset

https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/marvel-82d-carbon-700c-road-bike-wheels-disc-brake/

this sounds almost too good to be true to me? Anyone got any experience with Elite Wheels?
Last edited by: Tribike53: Nov 15, 23 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a wheelset <$2,000 [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I’m using Elite Maverick 88D rear and a 60D front. Reliable and definitely feels fast.

My wife’s using Drive 40V and those are among the nicest wheels I’ve ever seen. Crazy good hubs as well!

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread got me thinking about holiday gifts...(for me). A number of the recommendations are for wheels with carbon braking surfaces. On a 1-10 scale where 10 is 'as good as a disc', 8 is 'the same as the best rim brake ever', 4 'ugh this is bad' to 2 'arrgggghhh I'm going to crash', where are your carbon rim wheels/brakes? Has the tech improved to the point where carbon rims and aluminum rims are (nearly) equal in braking modulation and power (to rim brakes)?

I ask b/c I have a set of Farsports all carbon clinchers. True as an arrow on arrival and today (no truing despite plenty of rough surfaces, a bunch of car and air travel), hubs smooth enough, seems easier to drive at 22 mph than 20 mph. BUT the braking on 'basalt' surfaces - what's that? - using the suggested blue pads is barely functional. All the squeels. As you tighten the brake lever you get...nothing...nothing...nothing...nothing...a little...a lot...locked up. I give these a '4' on my scale b/c they do slow you down but are super twitchy once any slowing is getting done. Are new wheels better?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a wheelset <$2,000 [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for great rim brake braking wheels, look at the HED Jet Black version. 20% off now on Hedcycling.com

They are probably the best carbon braking (carbon fairing and anodized brake track) wheelset out there. Worth a look. I have many sets and highly recommend them.

If people are also looking for best bang for the buck, many options out there, but I would look at HED and premier wheels. They have been tested and both rank in the top percent with regard to competitors and price/value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see a pair of Enve 7.8 disc in the classified forum selling for $1300. That seems like a great deal. I have them and have had many wheels brands over the years. Zipp 808 among others. The Enve is just a great wheel. I run Conti 5000 tubeless 25mm. You can use the 7.8 for everything (tt, crit, RR). For the rear any rear disc will do. I have had the Zipp Super 9 rim brake disc wheel, an 80mm carbon rear with a Wheelbuilder Aerojacket that I modified for a disc brake rear wheel and currently a RON AERON X disc. I would not pay a lot for a rear disc wheel as I don't think there is any tangible difference between them. For the front I guess the question is are you going to use it for anything but a TT? The Enve is great in a crosswind. I am currently using a LightBicycle 88 front rim that I built up with a 20 spoke disc hub that I run with a 23mm Cosa Speed. It is not the most pleasant thing in a crosswind and I only use it for TTs. Another option is the Winspace Hyper 67 it's super fast, light and very responsive with the carbon spokes and a great price.
Quote Reply

Prev Next