Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which aero road helmet would you buy?
Quote | Reply
I’m doing a 350 mile race in a few weeks and want to make wise equipment choices. I feel like I’m pretty dialed in with most gear, but my helmet is a few years old and I have budget to get a new one.

I’m currently using an Abus Gamechanger. Love the comfort and fit. Not sure how aero it is.

I can get a good deal on a MET Manta or Trenta, but not sure if they are any faster than the Gamechanger. I haven’t found any actual data.

I can also get a v2 or v3 evade. The v1 evade didn’t fit my head that well (helmet was too narrow) but I heard the v3 is wider.

Does a black helmet make your head feel any hotter than a white helmet or does all the foam between the plastic and your head even it all out.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero road helmet would you buy? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is the evade has always been a very fast helmet, as has the bontrager ballista. If you can get you hands on either of those and they fit, b that's likely to be faster than what you have
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Gamechanger is plenty aero enough. The question is how much cooling do need. Some aero helmets allow more air to pass through (ie., Evade 3).

A black helmet is not going to be hotter since the typical foam type insulation has too much thermal resistance. It might be a slight bit hotter when standing around but not if you are moving. Still, a lighter colored helmet will be more easily seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Met Manta MIPS and Trenta MIPS only ever use the Trenta if it’s exceptionally hot!
So maybe once a year in Scotland!
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero road helmet would you buy? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
My understanding is the evade has always been a very fast helmet, as has the bontrager ballista. If you can get you hands on either of those and they fit, b that's likely to be faster than what you have

Thanks! I forgot that I have a Ballista too. That's another potential option to wear.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero road helmet would you buy? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
I think the Gamechanger is plenty aero enough. The question is how much cooling do need. Some aero helmets allow more air to pass through (ie., Evade 3).

A black helmet is not going to be hotter since the typical foam type insulation has too much thermal resistance. It might be a slight bit hotter when standing around but not if you are moving. Still, a lighter colored helmet will be more easily seen.

Thanks Neal. Good info on the thermal resistance. Hopefully i'll have a hot day soon enough to do some testing on air flow differences between the gamechanger, ballista, and a non-aero helmet. The gamechanger seems to have pretty good airflow. I also have an Abus Aventor (standard non-aero helmet with lots of vents) and it doesn't feel like it pushes any more air through than the gamechanger. I also have an LG Course i can do some testing with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever do testing comparing the LG Course (which I currently have) with the Met Manta (which I am considering buying)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I change helmets every 5 years or when I crashed with them.
My head fits Kask helmets better.
I have a preference for a forehead sweat band in the helmet as I sweat a lot.
I want a white helmet.
My budget is limited to <200 euro per helmet.
I chose two helmets: Kask Valegro for hot weather, Kask Utopia Y for the rest of the season. Although if intensity is not high Utopia can be used in summer as well.

I recommend you do your own criteria, order a couple and see which one fits you better.
Last edited by: ipstefan: Apr 15, 24 3:27
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero road helmet would you buy? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
Did you ever do testing comparing the LG Course (which I currently have) with the Met Manta (which I am considering buying)

Is it for Tri position or road ? I recently tested a bunch of road helmets in road position on 6 riders and the impacts was far less than what I normally see on a tri bike.

In other words, if for road, go with what is comfortable and cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero road helmet would you buy? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be my road helmet - thanks fo your reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helmet color makes no difference. Due to the thick layer of polystyrene foam (basically a beer cooler) between the outer shell and your head, there is virtually no thermal transfer happening there. The outer shell temp may be slightly elevated, but the inner temp is not.

All that being said, everyone knows that red helmets are faster.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero road helmet would you buy? [ipstefan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ipstefan wrote:
I change helmets every 5 years or when I crashed with them.
My head fits Kask helmets better.
I have a preference for a forehead sweat band in the helmet as I sweat a lot.
I want a white helmet.
My budget is limited to <200 euro per helmet.
I chose two helmets: Kask Valegro for hot weather, Kask Utopia Y for the rest of the season. Although if intensity is not high Utopia can be used in summer as well.

I recommend you do your own criteria, order a couple and see which one fits you better.

I like the way Kask fits as well. I just got a Protone Icon last week. It was expensive as all heck but it sure is a nice helmet. It replaced a Lazer G1 that was crashed.

I crashed a Bambino last November, I was really happy how it protected my head on the impact.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero road helmet would you buy? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
rmt wrote:

Is it for Tri position or road ? I recently tested a bunch of road helmets in road position on 6 riders and the impacts was far less than what I normally see on a tri bike.

In other words, if for road, go with what is comfortable and cool.

This makes sense intuitively. A road position has the helmet completely above the back/shoulders, with little if any direct airflow interaction. A tri position has the helmet more or less in between the shoulders, so it's aero is both the actual helmet and the interaction.

Makes me think the most efficient road helmet is likely to be the smallest one that has a reasonable Cd. But aero is always so weird so who knows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JP Ballard of SwissSide was interviewed on the Performance Process podcast. He said the Evade helmets are typically the benchmark aero road helmet. That would make it a pretty solid recommendation.

If I remember correctly, he also said that is the benchmark helmetthey used to design the new Van Rysel aero road helmet. If those are available, they are probably 1/2 the price of the Specialized and have similar aero and cooling performance.
Quote Reply