Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Changes Women’s World Championship Qualification Process [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Anyway, I do get the challenges and frustrations on the men's side. I did 12 Ironmans before my first KQ and missed several times by as little as 8 second to 5 minutes. You walk away beating yourself up about what you can do better. Many of my peers from that time with the dream of Kona walked away from the sport, so when they see slots rolling thru the women's field, it almost feels like "we" are getting slighted by "women". This is why we see the venom.

Had I been less persistent and quite after Ironman number 10 thinking, "I will never qualify" and then sit here 17 years later seeing many women waltz to Kona, would I be as supportive of their road to Kona. I would like to say "yes", but we're human and there is a degree of jealousy in every human for someone who has or gets what we don't have. Whether someone is richer, faster, smarter, more beautiful, has better toys, a more attractive spouse, all star kids etc etc. We all have a degree of jealousy for what other humans have that we don't no matter how objective we want to be. So the volume of push back against women in Kona is explainable but that does not make it justified.

This goes back to one of the points I put in parenthesis in the article about this, but...

...nobody "deserves" anything. Nobody is getting slighted. It's merely a pivot in IM determining that it's more important to have an equitable solution versus an equal one.

I hope that at some point I get to qualify for one of the IMWCs. But I'm not going to begrudge somebody else for being able to get there because their circumstances are different.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Changes Women’s World Championship Qualification Process [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AchillesHeal wrote:
D_Marc wrote:
rhudson wrote:
My love affair for Ironman has ended. Turning the world championship into a joke it is time for me to leave. I was over looking the expense of chasing the Kona dream have been there 8 times but now the quality and excitement has been destroyed. The whole world has turned info a bunch of pretenders that have no business being at world championships. Ironman has turned into a total joke.

Fully agree.
If you understand that the only “value” the IM organization lives by is money, then it makes sense though.

Sounds like 2 more slots opened up!!

I like your attitude!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Changes Women’s World Championship Qualification Process [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I got a lot of hugely helpful information over the years for my races overseas, so I have tried in a way to pay it back by recording what I found for NICE WC 2023 as a mid level age grouper which maybe can help a few of the ladies and men considering to qualify in future years.

Just my opinions on stuff, a few ideas on accom, pre race training, etc - hopefully useful to someone. Really apprecciated the guys who recorded course recces and have linked them in the description as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84us-xOWAQg
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Changes Women’s World Championship Qualification Process [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Useful and well-balanced review. Have a great 2024.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Changes Women’s World Championship Qualification Process [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much. I've only done 2 full IMs so grateful to others who shared stuff like this so tried to pay it forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Changes Women’s World Championship Qualification Process [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing your video and experience, but also YOUR CAT! <3

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next