Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gravel Tires: seeking large side knob, minimal center line tread [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have stupidly signed up for Tour Trans Alps and as such need to ride though the winter (you may remember i dont do trainers) - hence my search - i have a set of Terra Speeds on currently which are not bad however also have a set of G-One RS on order!!
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Tires: seeking large side knob, minimal center line tread [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard of that event but it looks DOPE. Have plotted a bikepacking route from Geneva to Zurich that I'd like to tackle at some point but this also is going on the list.

I also have abhorred the trainer but the partner recently got me onto zwift and oddly enough it's made it a lot more tolerable to watch a little digital avatar going around a fairytale land.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Tires: seeking large side knob, minimal center line tread [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gravelking SS hater here. Quick tire, I find the puncture resistance terribly over stated from BRR.

Mine constantly have tiny little cuts in the center tread weeping sealant. I'm riding Umstead in Raleigh. Not your midwest sharp flint gravel or mixed in rooted single track. I may get 1000 miles on one of them, maybe if lucky. Usually around 5 to 600 miles. Which is a horrible value proposition. They just look shreded to hell on the center tread also quickly.

Considering trying the Challenge getaway pros. Similar BRR rolling resistance and slightly better puncture score and more tread. I suspect the file tread on the Gravelking SS in the middle vs some kind of real "tread" is why they get ruined in that area quicker.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Tires: seeking large side knob, minimal center line tread [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Gravelking SS hater here. Quick tire, I find the puncture resistance terribly over stated from BRR.

Mine constantly have tiny little cuts in the center tread weeping sealant. I'm riding Umstead in Raleigh. Not your midwest sharp flint gravel or mixed in rooted single track. I may get 1000 miles on one of them, maybe if lucky. Usually around 5 to 600 miles. Which is a horrible value proposition. They just look shreded to hell on the center tread also quickly.

Considering trying the Challenge getaway pros. Similar BRR rolling resistance and slightly better puncture score and more tread. I suspect the file tread on the Gravelking SS in the middle vs some kind of real "tread" is why they get ruined in that area quicker.

Me and and a bunch of others I know had the casing delaminate from the tread on the GK SS.
The only indication visually was excessive weeping of sealant.
But you could heard the casing stick and unstick every tire rotation.
That was the end of Panaracers for me.

Never liked the way the side knobs felt either, squishy and sketchy on anything hard pack.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Tires: seeking large side knob, minimal center line tread [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me as well. I really don’t understand that tire: it rolls reasonably fast & well on hardpack but is useless as soon it gets more than dusty. That little file tread is for nothing more than looks, especially compared to a tire the Terra Speed, which does well in crr tests and grips well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can find the tufo gravel thundero, those might fit what you want. I'm not sold that the center tread would do anything for traction, but they seem to be awesome for durability. They also roll quite fast. Additionally, I've had great luck with the specialized Pathfinders. One of my friends was on the podium at migration gravel, he ran the s-works pathfinder and had no flats, the pathfinder pro is supposedly even more durable. They both run pretty fast as well. I've used the s-works pathfinder and the tufo thundero and felt grip on both was awesome.
Quote Reply

Prev Next