Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions for getting chain lube off of a white carpet?!
Quote | Reply
White berber carpet. Very noticeable chain grease stain in the middle of the floor. Any tips or suggestions? I noticed it after my ride and didn't attempt to clean it until several hours later. I did a ride, quick shower then took kid to a party. When I attempted to clean it with a foam spray and carpet cleaner (cheap version from walmart we have) it didn't work at all.

Would love some tips.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for getting chain lube off of a white carpet?! [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find dish soap works well on hands. Carpets? Might need to call a professional.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for getting chain lube off of a white carpet?! [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Test a tiny piece with acetone.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for getting chain lube off of a white carpet?! [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read this and realized dawn might work...it is used for oil removal. Thanks!

I won't hold you responsible if it doesn't work! Haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple 4 step process.

1) Buy said child some oily toy (remote control off road car, etc).
2) Casually identify stain as related to said toy
3) Side with child and mention that accidents happen with S.O. to prevent any repercussions and so improve your standing as a good human with both S.O. and offspring.
4) Head off for long ride and come back when stain is sorted.

There is a sidebar on this that relates to developing penchant for 1970s retro revival fashion with garish patterned carpets to prevent the need for future wasting of carbon aero widget fund on cover stories. But that's for tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New House Day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can make a paste with vinegar and baking soda. Rub it into the stain, let it sit a bit, clean it. might need to repeat it

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dish soap works reasonably well.

I find that spray stain cleaner for clothes works the best though.
It's formulated to be fabric safe and works on petroleum products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Acetone is not a good idea.

As someone else mentioned, I'd first try a laundry stain pre-treater (like Shout, Oxi-Clean, etc).
Do you have a shop-vac (wet/dry)?
If so, dampen the area then apply pre-treater and work it into the carpet with a damp cloth or sponge.
Let sit for a bit, then vacuum up as much moisture as you can.
May need to re-wet and re-vac for better results.

If that doesn't completely remove the spot, I'd then try Dawn Powerwash (the spray stuff) using the same procedure as above.
Go easy on the spray and I'd definitely do several re-wet/re-vac cycles to remove the emulsified grease and cleaning product.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try oven degreaser. I've used "Greased Lightning" spray and gotten small stains out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
White berber carpet. Very noticeable chain grease stain in the middle of the floor. Any tips or suggestions? I noticed it after my ride and didn't attempt to clean it until several hours later. I did a ride, quick shower then took kid to a party. When I attempted to clean it with a foam spray and carpet cleaner (cheap version from walmart we have) it didn't work at all.

Would love some tips.

Flowers.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for getting chain lube off of a white carpet?! [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

Would love some tips.

Flowers.

Jewelry
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for getting chain lube off of a white carpet?! [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

Would love some tips.

Flowers.
LOL. That was a good one. I definitely chuckled out loud. I'm more annoyed about it than she is probably. Stupid mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for getting chain lube off of a white carpet?! [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Appreciate it.

I will try these tonight or tomorrow and see how it works
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lube the whole carpet?
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for getting chain lube off of a white carpet?! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Dish soap works reasonably well.

I find that spray stain cleaner for clothes works the best though.
It's formulated to be fabric safe and works on petroleum products.

Nordic for the win!!
I have an awesome stain spray for clothes that gets almost every stain out and this was the trick. I also applied the suggestion of doing it multiple times and used hot water to help with the carpet cleaner we have.

Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.karndean.com/...VEAAYAiAAEgIW-_D_BwE

Wooden flooring is all I can offer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to help.

I do bike maintenance, ski waxing and chain waxing in my laundry room (painted concrete floor) and I inevitably track stuff on my feet into the carpeted areas of my house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the exact issue in a VRBO we stayed at for a race. I was staring down the $1000 deep cleaning surcharge, and tried everything. Eventually I landed on this, and it is my new go-to … it’s available most anywhere, and works perfectly.

My big concern was the rug was off -white, but UV+lemon juice+salt, or oxyclean were bleaching the indiscreet areas I was testing it (the stain in question was smack dab in the middle of the room). This stuff seems not to affect the rug colour at all.

Not to brag, but I kinda think of myself as the Harvey Kietel “fixer” character from Pulp Fiction, except for household stains.

Last edited by: davetallo: Oct 31, 23 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for getting chain lube off of a white carpet?! [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brake cleaner
Quote Reply