Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quote | Reply
My in-laws signed up for a 29029 event this upcoming August. I was wondering on a few things:

1.) What’s the training like for something like this? Are there any benchmark workouts?

2.) What’s spectating like at one of these things? Any suggestions on things to do?

3.) Apples to oranges… But how does this compare to an Ironman, marathon, etc:, (Is it more difficult, much easier, etc.)?
Quote Reply
Re: 29029 [marzrya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) lots of hiking and trail running, with plenty of elevation gain. Walking on a treadmill on max incline. Stairmaster. Box step ups. All the above can be done with a backpack loaded with some weight for some extra training load.

2) Probably get better feedback if you say where they are doing it. The kind of places that host the events are generally pretty fun places to spend a weekend. Spend the day hiking/mountain biking and just stop by the course to catch up on them every hour or so.

3) difficult to even try and compare. Trail ultra is probably the most comparable. But there's a huge difference between racing and just finishing - where you might even fit in a reasonable night's sleep!
Quote Reply
Re: 29029 [James2020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for the input.

They are at Snowbasin, Utah. — I’d like to support but wasn’t sure what the weekend would be like!

Both my in-laws registered on a whim. I’m a bit nervous for them as they have never done anything beyond a 5k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've participated and completed three 29029 including Snowbasin. They will have an AMAZING time. To answer your questions in no particular order:

1 - have your in-laws sign up for the online sessions where they'll get great information from the coaches. They need to walk a lot on inclines, in the shoes they'll wear, on different terrain. If they don't walk on different terrain they won't know where they can get blisters. The coaches are great. For a "benchmark" I'd say if they can walk non-stop for 10 hours then they can complete 29029.

2 - let your in-laws do their thing. In other words, don't go there to support them until the last day and their last few hikes. They'll be hiking to the top, taking the gondola down, rest a bit, then back up again. They won't have a lot of time to chat except with the AMAZING others on the slope. They'll meet great like-minded folks.

3 - I've raced 10 Ironmans, many 70.3s, etc.. This is not a race. It's about being generally fit, mentally strong, and pacing. The first 29029 I participated fewer than 50% finished. The last one I did was something like 75%. Coaches are now on the course to motivate everyone to finish. I met two really fit guys (marathon runner & gym geek) in their 20s who didn't finish; e.g. not mentally strong. My 16 year old daughter finished.

- Turq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Both my in-laws registered on a whim. I’m a bit nervous for them as they have never done anything beyond a 5k.

36 hour cut off is pretty generous, and the events are certainly much more luxurious than the average trail event (but I guess you would expect that for a $5k entry!).

You can use Naismith’s Rule as an estimation for how long each lap will take. At snowbasin you are probably looking at around 2 hours walking up at a fairly average walking speed.

You have to walk up 13 times. So that's over 26 hours on your feet moving. 10 hours for Gondolas down, eating, resting, maybe some sleep.

Not easy, but you certainly don't need to be super fit. A lot is psychological, if you can resist sleeping and just keep plodding uphill they will be fine. The gondola down will really save the legs, uphill walking is very low impact. Good news is they have lots of time to train and I believe the event gives them some training plans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not tried anything like this, but I did hike the Appalachian trail a few years ago which is all day hiking everyday with average slope of 10%. 6000 feet of climb and decline each day was typical. 7000 feet somedays.

So Utah says it is 2310 feet climb over 2.3 miles repeated 13 times over 36 hours. You ride down so you are only hiking up. Hopefully you could eat on the down hill trips if it is a gondola like some of the other venues. that means you have close to 3 hours per climb. It looks like you just need to carry a small pack with water and snacks, no pack so that would make it easier. I would think most thru hikers could do it after they got into trail shape.

If you had some good longer hills like those going into the smokies on the AT or like the Incline at Pikes Peak, that would probably be a great way to train. Otherwise a lot of hiking on whatever hills you can find.

Spectating would probably be easy as you would probably be at the bottom or maybe they would let you ride up to the top too. You could probably get in some hiking of you own. A google search shows all kinds of things you can do in the snowbasin area.

ETA. learn to tape feet with Leukotape P to avoid blisters.
Last edited by: patf: Nov 2, 23 20:34
Quote Reply
Re: 29029 [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are awesome!! Thank you all so much.

I’m generally interested in it since I have no background with trail running or hiking. We live in Iowa so there are a few trails but nothing like they’ll be seeing in Utah. I’m assuming majority of their training will be on a treadmill with incline and just generally walking. They can certainly find some trails within a 50 mile radius but nothing with climbs like they’ll be seeing.

They are fortunate enough to have resources. Is it even worth suggesting to them to take a weekend in Colorado to hike nonstop for a weekend or is that overboard?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They are fortunate enough to have resources. Is it even worth suggesting to them to take a weekend in Colorado to hike nonstop for a weekend or is that overboard?

From a training point of view it's probably not necessary, although it certainly wouldn't hurt. Where it might help is with some acclimatisation, but if only going for a weekend I'm not really sure you can expect lasting effects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got momentarily excited by this concept - never seen it before.

Then I noticed that all 6 races were sold out and I was bummed.

Then I noticed the price tag and almost spat out my mouthful of wine.

I get closing a mountain for a private event is a thing, but wow - that's a serious $$$ for a shared double room and some gondola rides!
Quote Reply
Re: 29029 [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah, I had the same reaction - but I still signed up for Brighton, and I got a customized bib - callsign “Bandit”
Quote Reply
Re: 29029 [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRhino wrote:
I got momentarily excited by this concept - never seen it before.

Then I noticed that all 6 races were sold out and I was bummed.

Then I noticed the price tag and almost spat out my mouthful of wine.

I get closing a mountain for a private event is a thing, but wow - that's a serious $$$ for a shared double room and some gondola rides!

You know it's bad when triathletes are calling it expensive!

In fairness it seems to be at the more luxurious end of things. "Registration includes 3 nights of accommodations, all food/beverage/alcohol, all hydration and nutrition choices at the aid stations, a 20-week Training Guide, massage therapists and other recovery aids in our Athlete Recovery Lounge, limited edition event swag...".

But yes it is crazy. Especially when you can go and join a guided 3 week expedition and actually go climb a 7000m peak for less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1.) I did Whistler in 2022, trained just by riding my gravel bike and running. No crazy distances, just showed up in shape and healthy. I'm doing Whistler again this year, and will train the same.

2.) They really focus on the experience with other participants, and in this area blows Ironman away. The speakers are better and since you're just walking uphill, you have more opportunities to meet the other athletes. The majority of pre & post event gatherings are athletes only, if you are planning on having friends/family come see you. Volunteering could be a good option for them. For Whistler, there's a hotel surcharge of approx $1300 to get a single room. The finish line at the end has a similar feel to an Ironman finish, but much less spectators and athletes. The after party was fun too!

3.) It not as intense, but is more of a grind. Unlike a tri, you're doing the exact same movements (ie walking uphill) the entire time. Self care is critical. I'd say the event is more difficult than an Ironman, but the training is worse for an Ironman.

Quote:
But yes it is crazy. Especially when you can go and join a guided 3 week expedition and actually go climb a 7000m peak for less.

Agree. I've done a bunch of those types of climbs (Ecuador volcanoes, Aconcagua, Denali, others). 29029 is the same type of grind as a long summit day, but a bit safer and much less time off work. Not as exhilarating though.
Quote Reply