Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobars keeps moving
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie at this forum, and it is the same for triathlon. Runner and swimmer for years, I recently added the bike to become a triathlete (yay!).

But here's the catch: I bought a second-hand road bike and, separately, aerobars at Decathlon (https://www.decathlon.ca/...handlebar-extensions).
They fit 26-31.8mm handlebars, my bike has 26mm handlebars.
When I install the aero bar, even if I put the strongest force I have, the aero bar keeps tilting if you try it or put a small pressure at them.

What I see and what I think may be the problem: yes, it fits 26mm handlebars, but just not enough, like there's still a little little gap when I install the aerobars.

Do you have any solution for that?
Like I don't know, perhaps a tape or something like to extend the diameter of my handlebars from 26 to 27/28mm?

Thank you :)
Last edited by: souin: Nov 17, 23 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars keeps moving [souin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I had a road bike with clip ons, same problem. I tried some electrical tape and it seemed to help. It isn't ideal, I know, but if it's what you have. I also noticed the problem worse if the pad clamps weren't installed on extension such that I would torque them when hitting a bump in the road.

One possible thing, too late now that you bought some, is they sell road bike handlebars (aliexpress does have some cheap) that have the TT bike style stack spacer mounts as part of the road bike drop handlebars. So that when you mount the clip ons, they would never rotate/torque.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars keeps moving [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Electrical tape is something I need to try.
It is about adding and adding tape until I reach 27/28mm?
But isn't it too "soft"? I mean, something rough would help it no?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can alway just cut up a beer can like the old days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there any spacers included included with the aerobars? If they were supposed to work with both 26 and 31.8mm there should be some rubber or metal spacers that should be used within the clamp.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars keeps moving [esv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately no... but good catch: spacers. Perhaps it'll help.

I'll go on Amazon or Decathlon this evening to see what they have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your aero bars were designed to fit 26mm and 31.8mm bars, they would have come with a set of 2.9mm spacers to put inside the clamps.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars keeps moving [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right, the previous owner kept it. I contacted him and he'll try to find it, else I'll buy something similar. Thanks all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Rather than electrical tape or metal try a rubber inner tube.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
souin wrote:
You are right, the previous owner kept it. I contacted him and he'll try to find it, else I'll buy something similar. Thanks all!

Before you do ANYthing else (tape, cut up aluminum can, etc.), you must get the proper spacers for your handlebars, since they are 26.0mm, and it appears that your aerobars are 31.8mm. Get the original parts if you can. But, if not, such spacers are available on eBay. Reply if you need more details.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Nov 18, 23 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

I bought those spacers on Amazon: https://a.co/d/cuFAApN
Installed them and it works like a charm... it's like not moving anymore AT ALL.
Thank you for your help and have a great winter season
Quote Reply