Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Daniel Baekkegards Triathlon Adventures [tlafram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My theory on this is that every single country has world class athletes there, and population means almost nothing. If there is an avenue to succeed in a sport, people in those countries will find it and rise to the top. But the top is a very small place and the base at the bottom doesnt affect that position.

How could it be otherwise? I mean virtually all of the evidence points to this being a true thing, is there any credible counter argument other than a simple math equation? Which just means that a huge % of the human population has world class capabilities, but so few ever get into a position to maximize them. So culture, history, and opportunity are the real factors, and population is just basically a non factor...

But like with a lot of things, people like to hold onto simple thoughts and use them to either make themselves feel better, or someone feel worse..
Quote Reply
Re: Daniel Baekkegards Triathlon Adventures [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahahaha....

Quote Reply
Re: Daniel Baekkegards Triathlon Adventures [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
My theory on this is that every single country has world class athletes there, and population means almost nothing. If there is an avenue to succeed in a sport, people in those countries will find it and rise to the top. But the top is a very small place and the base at the bottom doesnt affect that position.

How could it be otherwise? I mean virtually all of the evidence points to this being a true thing, is there any credible counter argument other than a simple math equation? Which just means that a huge % of the human population has world class capabilities, but so few ever get into a position to maximize them. So culture, history, and opportunity are the real factors, and population is just basically a non factor...

But like with a lot of things, people like to hold onto simple thoughts and use them to either make themselves feel better, or someone feel worse..

I seriously doubt this. China has been basketball crazy for nearly 2 generations now and yet there are almost no players currently that can compete in the nba. (Yao was awesome though!) china also has the resources and government selection process to maximize potential.

China clearly dominates in the lower profile Olympic sports for these reasons. But onto main event sports and talent is absolutely required. Even if you have a billion people to choose from and train with nearly unlimited resources.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniel Baekkegards Triathlon Adventures [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great video. He's probably going to end up being the most entertaining athlete on tour this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniel Baekkegards Triathlon Adventures [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is so good I want to post it in multiple threads. India Lee is a gem. Well done Daniel and Mitch.

Quote Reply
Re: Daniel Baekkegards Triathlon Adventures [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peter Sandvang, Thunderbear Sindballe, Rasmus Henning!

lassekk wrote:
tlafram wrote:
Why do some countries with relatively small populations - Denmark, NZ, and others - turn out so many amazing athletes?

You got many good answers below:

More for DK:
Strong swimming country, mandatory swimming in school, surrounded by water.
Wealthy nation, and triathlon requires wealth.
A good work life balance allows time for sport
Much better cycling/running infrastructure than e.g. US.
And inspiration from previous generations+having ironman +ironman 70.3 events in the country. We had two top males which names i totally forgot right now. Then a decade of, vesterby, pedersen, frederiksen and now the males again with ditlev/daniel and micki.
Quote Reply

Prev Next