Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I hate the trainer - Ultimate indoor setup?
Quote | Reply
While I realize the benefits of the trainer, I can't stand the saddle pain. I made a rocker board and that has been a huge improvement but between the saddle pain and the mental difficulty of a trainer workout, I can just barely get through a 1 hour workout. I'm currently using my tri bike on a Kickr Core on a DIY rocker board.

Is there anything out there that would make it more comfortable? What is your ultimate (for comfort) indoor setup?

Update:
I have a good bike fit from the best fitter I could find in the Houston area, he came highly recommended.

I should add that the saddle pain isn't really "pain", it is just the feeling that this is not comfortable and I'm ready to get off. It is probably tightly connected to the mental boredom of being on the trainer ... similar to staring at the black line in the pool until your brain turns into oatmeal.
Last edited by: tomljones3: Dec 6, 23 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the trainer - Ultimate indoor setup? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard some really good things about the wahoo rollr trainer, I really want to get one myself for this reason. My brother said he saw a pretty big improvement going from his homemade rocker plate to his inside ride e-flex plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kickr and an E-Flex inside ride.

To me, this made the difference from going from topping out at an hour and a half for my underside, and to being able to do long rides indoors. For IMAZ this year, about half of my long rides were inside due to inclement weather (Canada in the fall).

Other options
-Change your saddle? Are you using a split-nosed saddle?
-Get a better bike fit? Often bike-fit issues will show up more severely as you move indoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you can spend the $ on good winterwear and ride outside when the roads are dry, rather than the rocker board? I have a $99 Performance brand mag or fluid (sorry don't know/care) trainer & use it only a few weeks all winter (no Zwift/TrainerRoad or Rouvy subscriptions)...When it is dry, I ride outside. If not, I swim/run & XC ski, aqua jog...much more fun. Unless we get a snow storm & driving is really bad--then the trainer only if I have to. As you--I hate the trainer as much as I do shoveling snow.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the trainer - Ultimate indoor setup? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my setup too and love it. I've been able to ride long on my kickr alone, up to 5hrs. I ended up getting the inside ride last year and it's made riding long on the trainer more tolerable. Well worth it. I can't comment on how it is vs rocker board as I've never tried one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can't ride a trainer for an hour without deal-breaking saddle pain, that strikes me as a bike fit issue.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the trainer - Ultimate indoor setup? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
If you can't ride a trainer for an hour without deal-breaking saddle pain, that strikes me as a bike fit issue.

Perhaps not. OP did state that there’s mental difficulties at play as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't be getting that severe saddle pain in 1 hr that it's limiting you.

Try lowering your seat a fair amount first. Even if you have had a bike fit already. That usually allows you to at least get enough pressure of the bottom to start riding pain-free, and then you can start creeping the seatpost back up little by little as you acclimate.

Seriously, lowering the seat significantly is a quick fix for most saddle-pain and saddle-sore issues, at least temporarily until you either heal up or figure out what's the fit problem.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the trainer - Ultimate indoor setup? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I've heard some really good things about the wahoo rollr trainer, I really want to get one myself for this reason. My brother said he saw a pretty big improvement going from his homemade rocker plate to his inside ride e-flex plus.

I just got the Kickr Rollr and had it set up yesterday and rode it for the first time. But it wasn't my first time on a Rollr. I got to ride one at a bike fit this past year. I really like it.

It might help people with saddle issues as the bike is moving around a bit especially the back wheel. On a Kickr or Computrainer, your bike doesn't move and you end up moving a bit on the saddle.

I would also try different saddles. Unfortunately, I have a big collection of saddles that didn't work for me but finally found one that causes the least problems after 3 plus hours (it's a personal thing and everyone is different. Plus I'm female so different saddle issues). Maybe the right saddle could help. Also bike shorts make a difference too. And that is another personal thing where what works for one person may not work for another.

As a female I use numbing cream and chamois cream. And that is after having 90% of my hair removed by laser years ago (really did make a big difference training for Ironmans). But that 10% that is left.....ugh...the numbing cream helps that. But this is for women, not men :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may seem silly, but when I have long rides, I watch cycling races. GCN, and Tiz Cycling are good resources to pull up a random race and watch while you ride.

That, a good chamois, chamois butter and a good bike fit.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
It is probably tightly connected to the mental boredom of being on the trainer ....

Kickr climb helped me with this when using it with terrain that actually changes over time and has climbs (don't ride Zwift tempus fugit and expect it to help).

Otherwise also I started mixing up the routes a lot. Do 30min this route/world, then another, then another. And always toss in some kind of erg workout in the middle with variation.

I also got a 55" tv for the setup and a really big fan and use nice headphones for my tunes. This keeps it manageable. Still zero idea how people do it for 4+ hours indoors at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned the tri bike on the trainer. Do you have a road bike? If yes, that likely will solve your problem.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the trainer - Ultimate indoor setup? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

To me, this made the difference from going from topping out at an hour and a half for my underside, and to being able to do long rides indoors. For IMAZ this year, about half of my long rides were inside due to inclement weather (Canada in the fall).

Other options
-Get a better bike fit? Often bike-fit issues will show up more severely as you move indoors.

Whoa!

Have never seen the inside ride before

Any guess if it is compatible with other trainers such as H3 by Saris?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- large screen
- loud music
- stand up often
- comfy saddle
- proper cushioning in outfit

It gets easier the more time you spend indoors in the saddle. I’ve also found proper hydration and caffeine gels lessen the pain.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the trainer - Ultimate indoor setup? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Other options

Whoa!

Have never seen the inside ride before

Any guess if it is compatible with other trainers such as H3 by Saris?

On the webside they list Kickr, Kickr Core and Zwift Hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rollers. TruTrainer. Love it.

Road bike only so far (crashed trying getting into the TT position)

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily saying you should replace your whole trainer but I've felt much better now that l switched to a Tacx Neo 2t. It has a small amount of side movement.

As far as the rest of my setup: short throw projector + AppleTV. I'll do Zwift events on there. If I'm doing an erg workout, I'll run Zwift on my tablet and watch tv on the projector.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had not thought about a road bike, I've never really ridden anything except a tri bike. Is it the consensus that a road bike is going to be more comfortable on the trainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prioritized:
1) TV mounted low
2) Streaming service with long movies or bingeworthy series
3) Fan pointed at your face
4) Table with drinks, snacks, remotes
5) Bad weather outside
6) Floor mat to catch sweat and spills
7) Another fan pointed at your torso, no shirt or jersey
8) Squishy foam or rubber under the trainer legs to allow some wiggle

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift (for mental engagement riding a workout, race, or pace partner group) is a game changer vs. staring at a wall or trying to watch a video (which feels incredibly slow when you're in the hurt locker).

I supplement with some good tunes (sweatproof earbuds).

Put a 1.5in riser under the front wheel to compensate for the lack of wind force pushing you rearward irl.

Use a softer saddle than on the road.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't already, check that your bike is level. When I first set mine up and starting using it, I was getting bad saddle pain (WAY worse than anything I ever get on a bike outside). After about a week, I thought to check how level my setup was. And sure enough, I had been riding on an incline, which I think was putting extra pressure on my seat-contact-points. I leveled it out, and it's way more comfortable to ride now.
Quote Reply