Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tell me your success stories of getting your cholesterol down w/o meds [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Bypasskid wrote:

someone close to me with familial hyperlipidimia, can't fix with diet. Has been on a repatha injection, every 2 weeks I think, works great, the numbers were half of what they were after second dose.
no noted side effects

my father is on that, and thinks its a ticket to eating junk food again. the meds have to be kept near freezing temps so its hard for him to take vacations

How long vacations does he take?? It’s every 2 weeks and honestly if you skip a day or two it’s. It big deal. And no you can eat junk food again.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me your success stories of getting your cholesterol down w/o meds [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
updated a little

This has, unfortunately, been a year of health problems for me. My cholesterol is currently borderline high - ran the labs twice to make sure it wasn't an error. Both my parents have high cholesterol and are on meds. I would like to avoid meds.

I can and will google how to lower it, but - and yes, I know this conflicts my scientific background - I like stories, not because they are anecdata, but because they make me hopeful. So, please tell me (message if you don't want to share publicly) if this is a thing you have dealt with?

My diet isn't actually all that great; I'm a sugar nut; I love ice cream and whole milk yogurt and whole eggs (though the cholesterol from eggs I think has been debunked as raising one's cholesterol?). I really think I can improve it with dietary changes. Probably don't need more exercise, as am about to medal in Big Kahuna tomorrow...

My thanks and my love,
TC

updates - been a vegetarian for 24 years, am 7-8 lbs above the underweight cutoff so weight loss probably isn't the solution

Have you actually looked at the numbers that they are showing you? Look carefully at the triglycerides as the LDL Cholesterol is a CALCULATED number; not a measured number as is the VLDL. The measured numbers are the total cholesterol and HDL and triglycerides. If you are very low on the body fat scale, then the calculation can be thrown off a bit. Do a little looking around to see how this works so that you understand what the numbers mean. One important factor is ratio of HDL to LDL; and if you have triglycerides that are on the high side (which seems to be a pattern that I have seen with several athletic skinny individuals) this ratio will not be accurately reflected in the calculated values. Just check that the numbers are what you are being told they are....because remember, most MDs will not be used to seeing people that are like you....most of their patients are overweight and sedentary.

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
the latest science is to eat a lot of oreo cookies.

Quote Reply

Prev Next