Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a few of the names I’ve seen recently announce they are “moving on” from their current bike sponsorship:

Dylan Johnson (gravel/mtb) - currently with Factor bikes
Kerry Werner (cross/gravel) - currently with Kona bikes
Russell Finsterwald (gravel) - currently with Specialized
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek and SRAM seem to have strong rosters of athletes

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...lon-roster-for-2024/
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Trek and SRAM seem to have strong rosters of athletes

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...lon-roster-for-2024/

No Rudy Von Berg - interesting...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably an oversight. RVB still has Trek on his website and called out in his Insta links.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Probably an oversight. RVB still has Trek on his website and called out in his Insta links.

Not an oversight. It's the athletes that have Trek and SRAM.
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Not an oversight. It's the athletes that have Trek and SRAM.

He was SRAM last year - will be interesting. And they are silly to let him go to be fair.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Well this goes to a 404 page now, things that make go hmm?

https://racing.trekbikes.com/...-teams/rudy-von-berg
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Well this goes to a 404 page now, things that make go hmm?

https://racing.trekbikes.com/...-teams/rudy-von-berg

The cadex sponsorship could mean something - but that could be over too. Always exciting times at the start of the new year!

Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like his Insta was just updated. Trek is gone, but Cadex is still there.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Looks like his Insta was just updated. Trek is gone, but Cadex is still there.

The man pays attention to ST hahahaha

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any guess as to what SRAM actually does for their elite sponsored athletes? Are they getting cash or just free components with every bike from their frame sponsor (I'm assuming they get X amount of road and tri bikes a year from their Trek or Specialized deals)? If they aren't getting those components for free when the frame sponsor gives them their bikes are they paying small fee for each bike to cover the SRAM component costs?

I don't see much benefit to almost any of these athletes being sponsored by SRAM other than Paula and Eric who are actively creating content and telling people how great SRAM is every time it comes up (which is frequent because of their content format). I've never considered SRAM because it's more expensive and I'm not a huge fan of the derailleur batteries. Whenever I hear about a dead battery it's almost always a SRAM setup (I say almost, but personally I've never heard of a Shimano dead one from my friend group and watching the races, although obviously it must happen).

The only benefit SRAM could get from that big list is just having some visuals to attach to their marketing -- but looking through their marketing you have to go all the way to the beginning of September to find 2 triathlon related images, and it's just of bikes, no athletes attached to them. Indeed, scanning through a years worth of posts I see a couple UCI time trialists, but not a single triathlete. What's the point of SRAM sponsoring these guys and girls if they aren't even going to promote visuals of them and tell the world about them? You'd think the athletes themselves would put a little effort into sending their own media to SRAM and get some self promotion in the process and make their sponsors happy. Hah....ya, I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've owned 6 different SRAM electronic groups since they were launched. 2 Etap and 3 AXS with zero issues. Other than once forgetting to charge the battery on the MTB, which was painful since there isn't a second front derailleur battery to swap. They are so simple, that is difficult to have issues with them. Etap was so good that there were no SW upgrades, despite the system being prepared for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Building up a tt bike with Sram electronic groupset is far cheaper than shimano

https://acprestation.se/
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you ever have issues with the first generation etap batteries and the bottom tab/notch breaking off?

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
I've owned 6 different SRAM electronic groups since they were launched. 2 Etap and 3 AXS with zero issues. Other than once forgetting to charge the battery on the MTB, which was painful since there isn't a second front derailleur battery to swap. They are so simple, that is difficult to have issues with them. Etap was so good that there were no SW upgrades, despite the system being prepared for them.

Things I hate about SRAM:
Flat top chains
1x and heavy/ugly mullet cassettes
XD drivers and 10T cogs
can't mix and match chainrings
losing efficiency watts vs Shimano

Other than that, SRAM is flawless. *sarcasm*
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forgot:
- Extra weight
- The ability to swap batteries, which is only needed because of shorter battery life
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
You forgot:
- Extra weight
- The ability to swap batteries, which is only needed because of shorter battery life

Also really expensive consumables (cassettes) so the ongoing cost is much higher
If we're really lucky they'll bring the disposable frame approach from MTB to road/tri

I want to like SRAM, they do some cool stuff, but even more stuff that boggles the mind
Quote Reply
Re: Will we see a shift in Pro Bike Sponsorship? [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just read that Scott's main share holder has given them a 160 million grant to survive through the hardships of declining sales. The same article claims similar hardships for other bike manufacturers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply

Prev Next