Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Modifying VasaTrainer with balance board for lateral roll + pressing chest, your help sought
Quote | Reply
I was just gifted a VasaTrainer and have used them in the past as a year round swimmer, and love the idea of using it for a bulk of my swim training to focus on swim-muscle strength & conditioning while limiting more of the aerobic work to running and biking, and it makes for less trips to the pool (much prefer the lake June-October!)

I’d like to modify the VasaTrainer by placing a balance board on it so I can focus on my side roll when pulling with one arm, and to focus on “pressing the T” to work that forward chest/head press.

Here’s a board:
https://a.co/d/5VxXpvh

I could also use one to two inflatable balance discs.

I’m trying to decide the best path to accomplish this goal and am curious if anyone has any thoughts. Would like to figure out the best location for the 2-axis fulcrum, and figure out how long of a balance board I need, and if I need to make my own with specific length and radii for the curved pieces…???

Maybe a hinge with springs that bring it back to center side to side, with another hinge mounted on top of the first hinge with no springs, but a bungee connected to the rear part of the board so that the user has resistance when pressing their chest forward,

Thanks for any thoughts!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Dec 30, 23 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: Modifying VasaTrainer with balance board for lateral roll + pressing chest, your help sought [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking 4 of the below hinge.
There are two plates, front and rear, under the the sled on the Vasa currently that the sled mounts to.

- Mount a metal sheet on top of and connecting the front and rear Vasa plates.
-Mount one of the below seesaw hinges to the metal sheet above each plate, 2 hinges total, oriented to allow for side to side rocking movement.
- Mount another full length metal sheet on top of the two hinges.
- Mount 2 more of the below seesaw hinges side by side on the front end of the sheet, to allow the padded Vasa sled to pivot forward so the use can press their chest.
- Mount the padded Vasa sled to the front seesaw hinges. front of sled is ~1ft ahead of front plate already, will consider placing several inches further forward to create greater leverage.
- Add bungee between sheets at the rear to create resistance and stability as user presses chest forward. And a thick elastomer so that plates don’t slam together and forward rocking motion feels controlled and not On, Off.
- Add elastomers between the sheets above the front plate. elastomers top and bottom and at the edges, set by default to be touching so when the top plate rocks to the side, the movement is controlled and stable.

The increased stack height of the sled will also provide more needed room to keep the head facing down when pulling (currently, nose about hits the metal rail/bar on the Vasa).

Last edited by: milesthedog: Dec 31, 23 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Modifying VasaTrainer with balance board for lateral roll + pressing chest, your help sought [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

while I grew up a year round swimmer, I've really enjoyed using the Ocean Walker freestyle technique the past several years and feel this modification to the Vasa Trainer can help me work on that technique really well: https://www.youtube.com/...8auTsAV7lQ&t=65s

will definitely have to play with the bungee lengths quite a bit so it's stable.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Dec 30, 23 20:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly what I was thinking to figure out as well after having my bike trainer on a Rocker plate. For the Vasa Trainer it gets a little more complicated and I haven’t completely figured it out. I was thinking of a solution to have the bench rock on the slider but I want to keep the additional stack as low as possible. Probably by using a few simple hinges and a blade spring that limits the bench and pushes back progressively. Angle of tilt is also something to consider, maybe 10-15 degrees is possible. You need something like side plates attached to the bench to avoid rolling off when the bench is moving from side to side. Very curious if someone has a working solution that is recommended. For now I keep using the Vasa one time a week for strength sessions along the normal pool sessions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated with most current plan. Will wait a month or so to see if anyone else has input and to workout the idea further, myself.

milesthedog wrote:
Thinking 4 of the below hinge.
There are two plates, front and rear, under the the sled on the Vasa currently that the sled mounts to.

- Mount a metal sheet on top of and connecting the front and rear Vasa plates.
-Mount one of the below seesaw hinges to the metal sheet above each plate, 2 hinges total, oriented to allow for side to side rocking movement.
- Mount another full length metal sheet on top of the two hinges.
- Mount 2 more of the below seesaw hinges side by side on the front end of the sheet, to allow the padded Vasa sled to pivot forward so the use can press their chest.
- Mount the padded Vasa sled to the front seesaw hinges. front of sled is ~1ft ahead of front plate already, will consider placing several inches further forward to create greater leverage.
- Add bungee between sheets at the rear to create resistance and stability as user presses chest forward. And a thick elastomer so that plates don’t slam together and forward rocking motion feels controlled and not On, Off.
- Add elastomers between the sheets above the front plate. elastomers top and bottom and at the edges, set by default to be touching so when the top plate rocks to the side, the movement is controlled and stable.

The increased stack height of the sled will also provide more needed room to keep the head facing down when pulling (currently, nose about hits the metal rail/bar on the Vasa).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the vasa erg, and also the Zen8. Was thinking that a combination of both might work. That is, add about a 4” to 6” foam or air cushion to the top of the vasa chest pad.
Quote Reply
Re: Modifying VasaTrainer with balance board for lateral roll + pressing chest, your help sought [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of the idea but wonder if it makes since to also allow the hips to rotate: https://m.youtube.com/...amp;feature=emb_logo

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Kind of the idea but wonder if it makes since to also allow the hips to rotate: https://m.youtube.com/...amp;feature=emb_logo

That’s an interesting machine. I tried checking out their website to find out the cost but couldn’t access it. Maybe they’re out of business.
Quote Reply
Re: Modifying VasaTrainer with balance board for lateral roll + pressing chest, your help sought [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Europe website works and shows prices anyway.

Pic doesn't seem to upload for me but €2095 + shipping. You can add a load of extras too
Last edited by: retrying: Jan 22, 24 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply