Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon Bike Shipping Options?
Quote | Reply
Anyone know of any other "shipping companies" that fill in the wake left by TBT/THRU?

I have my own Bike Box Alan in the event many replies are "Get a bike box".

In case anyone is wondering, USAF Air Mobility Command (AMC) will not allow bike boxes (exceeds 62" LxWxH limit) for checked bags for SPACE-A flights =/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bike Shipping Options? [Djschap7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't you just shrink wrap the crap out of it in in the bike box in black pallet wrap and send it via Fedex?
Last edited by: Lurker4: Jan 12, 24 13:08
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bike Shipping Options? [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Can't you just shrink wrap the crap out of it in in the bike box in black pallet wrap and send it via Fedex?

That's crazy expensive. If you are going to ship it use bikeflights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2022, I was trying to get my bike to/from Romania and did some searching. Ultimately, I rented a bike locally. Here are my notes, however, from the 'how can I ship my bike to Romania' research. I have no affiliation with any of these services and proceed at your own risk. I think that all of these are shipping only, not the white glove service previously provided by TBT.

Bike Flights Bicycle Shipping Service - Bike Shipping Boxes - Best Way to Ship a Bike - BikeFlights.com
Overnight Bikes Bicycle Shipping for Cyclists and Triathletes – Overnight Bikes
Ship to Cycle Ship To Cycle
Ship Bikes The Best Lowest Bicycle Shipping in America and Worldwide | ShipBikes
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bike Shipping Options? [DoronG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, DoronG have you used BikeFlights and what was your experience with them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikeflights is literally just a service that gets you discounted rates for UPS.

If you use Bikeflights, your bike is just going with UPS.

Many people across the world have had positive experiences with UPS.

Quote | Reply
Djschap7 wrote:
Hi, DoronG have you used BikeFlights and what was your experience with them?

As mentioned above, discount to UPS. I got the insurance but never had to use it. Positive overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bike Shipping Options? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used Bike Flights numerous times to get bikes over the pond or to other places. Never a bad experience with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
Bikeflights is literally just a service that gets you discounted rates for UPS.

If you use Bikeflights, your bike is just going with UPS.

Many people across the world have had positive experiences with UPS.

That's like the entire point of Bikeflights though.

In my last flight, domestic US travel, shipping my bike via UPS myself was $1000+.

Bikeflights did the same thing, same dates, same UPS carrier, for $380.

When I arrived at the camp I was doing, someone there told me he shipping his bike via UPS and was going to ship it back too after camp. I told him about Bikeflights, and he quickly canceled UPS and rebooked for a huge savings on Bikeflights.

Bikeflights is a LOT cheaper than UPS, for the same process. I'm just guessing, but I think UPS intentionally puts a penalty/premium on individuals shipping stuff as opposed to registered businesses who get much cheaper rates than an individual.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jan 16, 24 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bike Shipping Options? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure. But people seem to think it’s this magical service that somehow is different than regular UPS. It’s just a discount. A huge one, that I use every time. But still just a discount.

Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
For sure. But people seem to think it’s this magical service that somehow is different than regular UPS. It’s just a discount. A huge one, that I use every time. But still just a discount.

I wouldn't call it just a 'discount' - it can be more than half off, and probably well over 30% cheaper for the same exact services in most cases. It's really a must-use alternative compared to UPS.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bike Shipping Options? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use any third party shipping service to get the commercial base discount. I prefer using Pirateship because they also have all of the USPS services that I use for small packages.
Quote Reply