Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Driving to an Ironman…with kids AND bike - need advice! [Jpro19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're worried about the bike on a rack, just get a cargo style carrier and strap down two big rubbermaid tubs with your luggage and put the bike inside.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Driving to an Ironman…with kids AND bike - need advice! [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1up is a great option — I’ve but one and it’s hard to beat — but for long road trips I generally prefer having the bike inside the car if I can swing it so I don’t have to worry about weather/locking it up at stops, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Driving to an Ironman…with kids AND bike - need advice! [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A truck is a good idea. Another option is to purchase a Class B motorhome. I bought a MB Sprinter-based Class B a number of years ago to travel to races & events and it has worked great. Even has a private bathroom which my wife and kids really have appreciated. It has also worked great for traveling to gymnastics meets, band competitions, track meets, etc.

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care.”
Quote Reply
Re: Driving to an Ironman…with kids AND bike - need advice! [Jpro19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to respond to your post because when I took the wife and kids to IMLP 06 we drove over 1,000 miles from Missouri. To this day the family agrees it was one of the best road trips we ever had. I told the wife that I wanted to go back to LP for my 50th b-day (3rd time) and she agreed. We flew the previous trips and this time I wanted to drive and show the kids the east coast after the race (BOS, NY, PHL, DC).

We made do with our family truckster (Windstar), along with a car top carrier, and it held everything a family of four needed for a two-week road trip along with all the baggage (bike,etc) for an Ironman race.

The best decision I made was to do the race first and then the "vacation" after because I was pretty tense on the way out but totally relaxed after the race. In full disclosure I was MOP so YMMV.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had an amazing trip back in September 2017 when we (my wife, kids: 12 and 6yo, and me) travelled from Kharkiv, Ukraine to Cervia, Italy by car. The car was quite small - Volvo V40 hatchback - but it served well. The bike was attached to Thule (I guess) rack on the roof and I removed it only when we stayed overnight. It was scary in the beginning - that feeling when it is about to unattach - but I got to use to it quite quickly.

I was the only driver, we drove maybe 800-1100km per day with several stops to stretch out and relax. I think, I tried to keep the speed at around 120km/h on the driveways and it felt quite comfortable.

The bike arrived with no issues except for dead flies on the frame - there were plenty of them.

As I mentioned, I was the only driver but the road did not affect my race. Instead, we spent some wonderful moments as a family together. It was such a great time and I’m missing it now.

Слава Україні 🇺🇦✊
Last edited by: oleks: Jan 20, 24 15:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep my bike in the back of our van (wheels off, upside down, chain / RD off). There’s a bit of light bags / blankets back there, too.

All of our suitcases are in a giant bag, sitting in hitch trey carrier

I wouldn’t feel safe having my bike exposed, and this way also leaves the car w more free space. I think this approach makes traveling much easier
Quote Reply

Prev Next