Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

general question about bike upgrade options
Quote | Reply
Im considering updating and upgrading my 2016 canyon cf slx, and have some general questions about my options ...

My goals from a new bike are a bit of a mix between the practical and what I think would be cool ie I am interested in the performance of the bike, but have non-performance interests that are at least as import to me, a true middle pack age grouper who would like to try to get a little faster than i am currently.

Ride wise i am after
-> disc brakes, so that i can share wheels (at least training wheels) with my other bike
-> 1x, mainly because
* it looks cool
* i have a track background and still enjoy riding a bigger chainring than everyone else
* like having less mechanical parts for travel, maintenance etc
-> integrated front end with no exposed cabling
-> uci legal options, since i would like to go back to riding some uci tt's

I would be happy buying a frameset and building with parts, or possibly complete if i can find the right bike. my budget is probably ~$7k USD although i'm a bit flexible. i do really like more interesting/niche brand options, like tred, or less niche but smaller brands like wilier etc. I am a bit of a snowflake I quite like having things that are a little unique. I don't exactly know what the price points of going this route though ...

So i would be really interested in everyone's thoughts and opinion re options here. in particular :
-> what is the 1x landscape right now? what setups would be a best option in terms of price, ease of installation, servicing, etc
-> dumb question about front ends ... aside from looking carefully at pictures, what exactly determines the cabling here? my current setup is an absolute birds nest. why do some bikes, eg orbea ordu, or p5, look completely clean ... i cannot see a single cable ... if i were to build up my bike from individual parts, what do i need to be careful of to make sure that i can achieve that too? thats probably a stupid question ...

thanks ! looking forward to hearing your opinions / advice. much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: general question about bike upgrade options [pnoble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like my SRAM AXS system on my TT bike. Zero wires using the wireless blips. I don't love the shapes of the blips, it's as if they weren't designed for bikes. Otherwise it makes for a nice system.
Quote Reply
Re: general question about bike upgrade options [pnoble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an 2023 Orbea Ordu, so if you want to build up that frame from scratch you will need to build most of the cockpit with their proprietary parts. That would be a huge PITA if you ask me and very expensive over buying a built bike. I changed poles, seat, crankset and bought additional race wheels. They also allowed me to design and fully customize the color scheme.

Most modern "superbikes" with hidden cables have components made specifically for the year/model. Cervelo and Canyon are better options for aftermarket cockpit options but they are all fine stock. Feel free to customize all of them with poles that work with your position which is relatively inexpensive.

1 X is easy to set up at any point.

Have fun and post a picture when you get your new bike set up
Quote Reply
Re: general question about bike upgrade options [Riedinaustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone, really helpful.

i didnt realise most of them were proprietary parts. i guess that both simplifies and complicates things...

i've been recommended sram 1x multiple times now, so it feels like quite a consistent opinion. ive also heard your opinion re cervelo & canyon too, which are clearly super nice bikes. i had a really nicely fit p2 back in the day (ie 2012ish maybe?). it was an awesome ride and felt super fast. the only thing that makes me lean away from bikes like that is that they don't scratch the itch of having something more unique and interesting. i mean even if everyone else is WAY faster on their bike mine can maybe turn some heads and spark some conversation in transition area ...

as an aside, does anyone have experience ordering from ciclio mattio? or cicli corsa? ive spent enough time on the tred, bottecchia etc website that im being spammed by ads from them. and their frameset prices for eg colnago, wilier etc seem pretty good.

thanks!!
Quote Reply