Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Franklin, MA - couple questions for any local
Quote | Reply
Hey guys and gals.
I'll be staying in Franklin for Boston (April 15th).
Two questions for any locals:
1- what is there to do in Frankln? Places to eat? Or just go into downtown Boston (Copley Place, etc.....)?
2- More importantly ....................
We are suppose to stay here:
Home 2 suites by Hilton
725 Union St.
Franklin, MA 02038

Booked a long time ago (before built) and it SOUNDS like they are not sure it will even be done. They're basically like: "we'll let you know as it gets closer". REALLY?
So no hoping I won't be screwed on lodging for Boston.
Anyone (locals obviously) seen this place?
Does it even look like it may be done by April?
Hilton will tell me nothing.
Pretty piss poor.
Quote Reply
Re: Franklin, MA - couple questions for any local [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is nothing in Franklin :). It was on one of my bike routes when I lived in Norwood. The only thing to note is unusually nice central street which you can enjoy for 10 min. Otherwise it’s one of the hundreds of the New England suburbs.

If you want to have a nice dinner and a walk, Boston or Providence are much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Echo everything ask77nl said. I live in the Boston burbs (not Franklin). Plenty of reasons to live there, but a tourist destination it is not - which is true for much of metro Boston.

No idea on the Hilton there. But if they're that uncertain/cagey at 2 months out, it wouldn't give me the warm & fuzzies. I'd probably look into alternatives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're reasonably close to the start, but you're far from the finish.

If you drive to the start, will they have busses going back when you finish? If you are going to drive an hour to the finish and get on a bus to the start, you should start looking for a more convenient place to stay.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Franklin, MA - couple questions for any local [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wifey dropping me at 52 South Street to hit the start and then she will TRY to catch me along route and then meet me at the finish.
We will both drive back to Franlin later that evening after enjoying Boston.
Yes ............ the hotel is my main concern.
To-do's were secondary and not a huge deal.
Thanks all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked in Franklin for 2 years. Nice place to live and work. About one thing to see.
The library was the first public library in the country, and it's got a set of books that Ben Franklin donated on display.

We had our xmas lunch at a distillery in Franklin (GlenPharmer, it's OK) after touring the library (we did the addition a couple years ago)

Lots of suburban places to eat and some decent Italian places in strip malls.
VERY easy to get to Providence. Lots of nice stuff to see and eat in PVD. Not too hard to get to Newport too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Providence is much closer, and foodies paradise than Boston, also to run away from zillions of people near the course

If wife is bored, go to Wrentham factory outlets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I get by there anytime soon I'll give you an update on the hotel. I live about 20 min away but typically aren't up in that area. Like others said, there is nothing to do in Franklin.

Up Rt 495 (you're staying right next to it) I believe the next exit, or might be 2 exits (about 5-6 min from you) is 3 restaurant. It's pretty good.

https://3-restaurant.com/

Glen Pharma Distillery is up one exit. They make their own gin, vodka and bourbon. Only problem is you can only get cocktails made from their distillery. I don't think they offer beer or wine. I went once, thought it was so-so.

https://www.opentable.com/...-distillery-franklin

There is really good food in Providence, RI.

If you want to wander around during the day, go to Boston. Both are about 30 min away.

You'll have to go up to get your race packet the day or two before so you can explore then. If you can't get your number Friday, try to go early Saturday. The pickup and expo get packed later on and parking is a bitch. I got there right at 9am on Saturday and was lucky to get a spot just down the street and was able to get in pretty quickly. By the time I left the expo, the line was down the block.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who used to live in Norton, not far south of Franklin. If we wanted to go sightseeing in Boston, we would drive to the Quincy T-station (there is a large parking garage) and take the T to get around Boston. One time we took the train from Mansfield to South Station, and used the T to get around. You probably don't want to do this on race day, though, since it sounds like your wife is going to use the car to get around.

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Quote Reply
Re: Franklin, MA - couple questions for any local [salmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep!
Thanks for all the insight and yeah, if anyone get's around that hotel site, let me know what it looks like.
I'm already starting to TRY and look at other options ................ YIKES!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the hotel is not taking reservations until after the race.

Quote:
We're accepting reservations for April 24, 2024 and beyond.

Home2 Suites by Hilton Boston Franklin
Quote Reply
Re: Franklin, MA - couple questions for any local [KIELBASA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Freakin’ YIKES !!!
Well they have mine.
Shit.
Thanks!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a hotel room booked near Wellesley. I'm going to be a Wellesley girl :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok- so we here!!!! Boom!
Yep, hotel was not complete but they put us up at the Hampton next door so …….. whatever- it works.

So if you had to choose (Sunday before marathon) ……….

Go to Providence and site see / eat dinner or go over to Hopkinton, see the start and eat dinner?

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
Ok- so we here!!!! Boom!
Yep, hotel was not complete but they put us up at the Hampton next door so …….. whatever- it works.

So if you had to choose (Sunday before marathon) ……….

Go to Providence and site see / eat dinner or go over to Hopkinton, see the start and eat dinner?

Thoughts?

Option c: tour Franklin all day.

I kid… I would go to providence because Monday you will have plenty of time to be doing marathon stuff all day in huge crowds. Mix it up a bit and check out providence. Or drive up to boston and eat somewhere in the north end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a great day today. If you want to slow down for a kiss I will be downtown Wellesley with a bright orange sign that says “kiss me” and a purple sign that says “Keirns (2024)” (geeky academic joke for a runner friend)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Franklin, MA - couple questions for any local [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx! Getting lucky with the weather!
BOOM!! 👊💥
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how was your day? mine was fun :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Franklin, MA - couple questions for any local [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol- not sure mine was “fun” but ……… yes, it was a good day. Not what I had hoped for but 3:18 and I’ll hope to one day figure this course out and say I finally have. I have NOT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW ……….. scream tunnel was WILD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
how was your day? mine was fun :-)

Spent the morning manning the elite water station at 25km (Wellesley Lower Falls/Newton line) then got sun burnt when I crossed the street after noon :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
BTW ……….. scream tunnel was WILD.

:D

I'm sorry your race wasn't what you hoped for, but congrats on the PR.
Was it the heat? Did you go out too fast? I'm a captive audience for the story until BLeP opens this thread and tells us to move it!

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 16, 24 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Franklin, MA - couple questions for any local [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Spent the morning manning the elite water station at 25km (Wellesley Lower Falls/Newton line) then got sun burnt when I crossed the street after noon :(

that's a cool job! I'd like to volunteer at some point - things were up in the air enough for me this year I was too nervous to commit to it.

Quote Reply