Supersapiens shutting down
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Supersapiens shutting down [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
I don't believe there is any established standard yet, which makes the broad use of CGMs by non-scientists especially humorous to me.
Agreed.
When I hard that they were being marketed to endurance athletes, I thought it was just that: marketing. Like they were sitting in a boardroom and brainstorming ideas on how to diversify revenue and came up with endurance sport.
mike s wrote:
I was building for a couple 150mi-200mi Gravel Races and it sparked my curiosity after hearing Team Ineos was using them.
Conclusion for me was nothing usable or “wow” moments.

Supersapiens or fellow travellers are paying teams and some individual triathletes decent money to wear these things on an arm and make sure SM pictures show them.
Would welcome links to some decent science/papers and practical beneficial effects. Or even a shill on here 'splaining.
Eat more, before during and after, to the extent your gut copes with no distress.
And, what, 3 years after arriving, Supersapiens are slithering off, lubricated by their snake oil.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/...tes-all-memberships/
https://www.supersapiens.com/en-GB/
Quote Reply
Re: Supersapiens shutting down [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And what a load managment-speak-BS they spout in 500 words that that could have been said more clearly as "well folks, we've tried to rinse a load of you of your o £,$ and €, but after 3 years we've realised not enough of you are gullible enough, so we're shutting up the shop and going to go peddle some shit elsewhere"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually surprised this didn't happen earlier.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and even for me, I still don't use CGMs on a daily basis, it's too inaccurate (main reason), rarely lasts the 2 weeks its supposed to, expensive. Sure can be a nice tool to understand some trends for diabetics, but for your non diabetic athlete, its nearly useless.

Onto the next gadget...

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Quote Reply
Re: Supersapiens shutting down [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have I got an offer for you! Act now and for the next 30 days you can take advantage of a risk free trial offer on the CORE sensor relied on by Kristian Blummenfelt to tell him when he's hot.

Now you wont have to wonder if you should put ice in your hat or hold it in your hands at the next aid station. The CORE sensor can help you find the perfect balance of ice junk in your trunk on race day!
Last edited by: Lurker4: Mar 1, 24 21:03
Quote Reply
Re: Supersapiens shutting down [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Have I got an offer for you! Act now and for the next 30 days you can take advantage of a risk free trial offer on the CORE sensor relied on by Kristian Blummenfelt to tell him when he's hot.

Now you wont have to wonder if you should put ice in your hat or hold it in your hands at the next aid station. The CORE sensor can help you find the perfect balance of ice junk in your trunk on race day!

Quote Reply
Re: Supersapiens shutting down [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:

That was really funny
Quote Reply
Re: Supersapiens shutting down [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

That was really funny

I was actually interesedt in one of those....until I saw that Blu was wearing several of them on different parts of his body during tests. If it is accurately measuring core temp you should only need one.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Supersapiens shutting down [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like medical level body temperature sensors, measuring in different places results in slightly different results, including different latency levels*.

Look pretty clearly like they're trying to ascertain what those differences are, and whether they're meaningful or not, and how latency can impact that. Said differently: I'd struggle to see why testing a crap-ton of them in different spots to learn from, is a bad thing.

* https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC8535559/

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Supersapiens shutting down [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the NIH link. As a consumer who’s only going to buy one unit at most (and won’t have a source of truth to measure it against), not sure how this would help one to properly modulate effort to maximize performance without “crossing the line” and melting down in hot races like Kona (other than trial and error, assuming the device is repeatable [if inaccurate] at a given surface location…something the study indicated was not true for the surface monitors they tried [though they didn’t try the core, to be fair]).

Read your review of the core in 2020. Any thoughts/updates? Thanks.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, slowly working on an updated post/something on it.

My wife has actually been training with one since last summer, including heat training, racing Kona, etc... And I've been more loosely training with one, but mostly looking at her data, building a heat chamber, etc...

I'd say at a high level, the biggest takeaway I've had over that time period is that the bulk of the benefits are primarily going to come out of training in higher temps, regardless of a CORE sensor. There's different aspects of acclimation too, that again, don't really depend on the tech.

The tech here basiscally helps you to better gauge things, and more specifically, how much time you're spending in those zones. Somewhat akin to how you'd track training time in various intensity levels for HR or power.

The absolute precision (e.g. +/- 0.x*C) of that as you find out, is not actually super important in terms of heat adaption training. It matters more if you were looking at medical portions (e.g. will you drop dead). And to a lesser extent the precision/accuracy can kinda help in racing, in terms of trying to keep below a given threshold range where the wheels come off (e.g. overcooking).

Anyways, more for a post I'm hoping to eventually finish. If nothing else, the fun of building a heat chamber for treadmill & trainer.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
tamiii wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

That was really funny

I was actually interesedt in one of those....until I saw that Blu was wearing several of them on different parts of his body during tests. If it is accurately measuring core temp you should only need one.

I totally get where you're coping from. Although with experience measuring skin and core temp for research purposes (not exercise, using best practice devices), and for product validation (for exercise purposes) skin temp at various points varies quite a bit - and changes in not so predictable ways depending on where you measure, especially with changing environmental conditions.

I'd buy that what they're proposing with this product is possible (ie measure skin temp --> develop AI/algorithm/whatever --> predict core temp), however from experience with testing devices during exercise, I think this would only ever be possible when using multiple sensors, and to some extent the more inputs the better.... probably to the point where you'd need so many sensors you'd be nudging, and maybe well past, the utility --> annoying threshold.

ps agreed, @lurker4 gold level mockery of nonsense products like supersapiens
Last edited by: CLA: Mar 5, 24 15:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like it will soon become a lot easier for everyone to play around with and test a CGM:
https://www.cnbc.com/...red-by-the-fda-.html
Quote Reply
Re: Supersapiens shutting down [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a handy list of all available CGMs, or know off the top of your head? Nix, Dexcom, Supersapiens, I recall several others.

Are there yet any companies working on optical measurement of blood glucose?

Yes, I understand the heinous inaccuracy of these things and that optical will amplify that. Just asking for a future prod dev cycle. :)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Supersapiens shutting down [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrickMick wrote:
Sounds like it will soon become a lot easier for everyone to play around with and test a CGM:
https://www.cnbc.com/...red-by-the-fda-.html

I got the news about this on one of my pharmacy sites today. Curious about the price point.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet another Ironman partner gone belly-up
Quote Reply