Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High Heart Rate while Swimming
Quote | Reply
I recently got a Polar OH1 sensor that I attach to my goggles to analyze my HR while swimming, and the results are disturbing.

When I do my swim sets, even if I am trying to go easy/slowly, my HR spikes to 170ish bpm (my MHR is ~200 bpm).
I feel like to go any slower, my form needs to break down.

Is it normal for your HR to spike like this when doing swim sets? How should I use this data to adjust my training?
Quote Reply
Re: High Heart Rate while Swimming [grassfather] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grassfather wrote:
I recently got a Polar OH1 sensor that I attach to my goggles to analyze my HR while swimming, and the results are disturbing.

When I do my swim sets, even if I am trying to go easy/slowly, my HR spikes to 170ish bpm (my MHR is ~200 bpm).

Is it normal for your HR to spike like this when doing swim sets? How should I use this data to adjust my training?

Your results may vary, but my own swimming HR (device measured) results are always taken with a grain of salt.
Last edited by: NAB777: Mar 1, 24 21:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grassfather wrote:

It's important to be able to swim slowly with decent form. Swim slow and fix up your flaws.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree grain of salt with swimming HR. I would do some manual testing on some longer reps. Something like 4-5 x 300-400, building each rep something like ez/140.6/70.3/Olympic/Sprint. Right at the end of each rep take manual pulse for 10-15s & multiply by 6 or 4. Write them down. Take 30-45s in between total.

But I wouldn't worry too much. Swimming seems the most demanding for me when I'm doing harder stuff. 170 is still around threshold. Maybe you don't feel like you're swimming threshold & should slow down a bit until you're able to swim more comfortably with that heart rate. Frequency is also going to come into play. If you're swimming 2 times/week it'll be hard to change that dynamic versus 4 or 5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Highest HR's in a triathlon are almost always in the swim, near the end usually.

But before you have any angst about this, I'm gonna tell you what I tell everyone that asks about wonky or unusual HR measures. Stop on the wall when it is 170 going easy, and see manually if that is actually correct. Pool HR monitors are notoriously off, sometimes way off. But it could be right, just that you are not used to what a swimming HR is for you...
Quote Reply
Re: High Heart Rate while Swimming [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably something wrong unless you are a lifelong swimmer. As an adult onset I find it really really hard to get hr up on swim without heat (hot water or wetsuit). My HR zones are about 20bpm lower in the water. Same hr sensor - on form goggles. To finish my first thought: lifelong swimmers seem to be able to get their hr up more for some reason, in my ecperience.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Last edited by: theyellowcarguy: Mar 2, 24 9:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, like Monty said, I wouldn't trust any HR monitor in the water. It's an easy check in between sets. Take your carotid HR while you are on the wall.

Second, don't train swimming with HR. It's the best way to not improve. If you can push yourself to go faster without your technique breaking down, then do it. There is no swim slow to swim fast.

Lastly, if it just doesn't feel right, go see your doctor.

I hope this helps,

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply