Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How about Sam Long at T100 Miami !!! [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimike77 wrote:
I am not exactly sure why drafting is accepted in the swim and run but not the swim. I'd imagine that it has something to do with safety.

I'm guessing you meant to say the bike for the bolded area.

How would you enforce a "no drafting" in a running race? Not sure that is really a possibility...especially because it is even legal in track and field competition. I honestly can't imagine that you can actually get much of a benefit from running behind someone.
Quote Reply
Re: How about Sam Long at T100 Miami !!! [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly can't imagine that you can actually get much of a benefit from running behind someone.//

And yet they pay lots of money to many runners to do just that in bigger races, the rabbits. Everything has a draft in triathlon, just different degrees of benefits, but for sure there are benefit's.
Quote Reply
Re: How about Sam Long at T100 Miami !!! [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is correct. I meant to say "bike".

Of course, you get much more benefit from a draft off the bike than the run for various reasons, but as the sub 2:00 marathon project showed, it is not negligible.
Quote Reply
Re: How about Sam Long at T100 Miami !!! [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
monty wrote:
a top 2 bike and top 2 run and he has always been good in the heat, so not surprised at all.
And Sam's swim was right about where it ought to be with his abilities, so neither good or bad. If you watched it, you could see even if he were a second or two per 100 faster, he would still just be pulling the group he was in. But he was pulling it when I saw him, so that is good news. Just means with a more filled out swim where he can draft, he would be much closer to the leaders with the same effort. Their times wont change, but his would drastically with a proper draft that pushes him...
Great riding, excellent running.
I guess the challenge is that there won't be a "more filled out swim" for any of the T100 races. Maybe if he's still strong enough to race Taupo he could benefit from company he can get on the feet of, but not before. Many long hard 2000m swims ahead.
On Saturday he led Chevalier and Horseau (NB wildcard) round the buoys and that's the minimal company he can expect every time. Weiss is the only other swimmer 'adrift' and he's 100 seconds ahead: 5 secs a 100 faster.

Tell me again why is it so hard just to improve a little for a guy like Sam?

Magnus was also a slower swimmer but have made huge strides to always be in second group and in roth even first group! He should really write a book for all of us lol.

Back to Sam really solid race, for a bit of a goody guy he almost always nails his race plan 100%! Knows his limits and how to distribute his energy really well!
Quote Reply
Re: How about Sam Long at T100 Miami !!! [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
It was really impressive for sure, but I'd note that a big part of the result was that he appeared to handle the heat better than pretty much all the other racers (hard to figure out why that would be given his size tbh). The heat won't be as big of a factor at many of the remaining races, so will likely dent his competitiveness some.

I thought this too. Not to take away from his truly spectacular performance, but heat was a major factor in the mens race, and I instantly thought "Sam will have a real advantage here from training/living in Tucson" where he trains almost entirely outdoors (as compared to Lionel, who also lives in Tucson, but does a lot more of his training indoors.) Sam is already used to training with full heat with zero cover in the Tucson desert in the dead of winter where it still gets roasty hot if you're out there at peak time in winter, at least compared to most other training locales.
Quote Reply
Re: How about Sam Long at T100 Miami !!! [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell me again why is it so hard just to improve a little for a guy like Sam? //

But that is the thing, he is improving, a little every year. And he started much further behind than Magnus, thus their trajectories that point towards today. I think we all understand that swimming is not cycling or running, two sports that can be picked up in a couple years at a very high level. If you are an AOS, it just takes a dam long time to compensate for what kids got in the pool when their brains and muscle memories were pliable. A lot of folks like to call it talent, and to some extent that is true. But most of that so called talent is just bred into kids at a very young age, and once they have that hardwiring, it stays with them for life.

Guys like same and Lionel never got that, and did sports that were the complete opposite in terms of technique. After watching Magnus and his swimming program lately, it was probably a disappointment for him that he did not make the tail end of that lead group. He did make it once, but it is not just the 2nd and 3rd pack swimmers that are drilling their swim programs, the front group guys are also doing things that are bringing them much closer to their heyday best swims. In other words, the whole swim is just getting faster from front to back..

There will of course be a limit of the lead group to improve, but at that point the back markers then can make some more little gains to get themselves closer to T1...
Quote Reply
Re: How about Sam Long at T100 Miami !!! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
It was really impressive for sure, but I'd note that a big part of the result was that he appeared to handle the heat better than pretty much all the other racers (hard to figure out why that would be given his size tbh). The heat won't be as big of a factor at many of the remaining races, so will likely dent his competitiveness some.

I thought this too. Not to take away from his truly spectacular performance, but heat was a major factor in the mens race, and I instantly thought "Sam will have a real advantage here from training/living in Tucson" where he trains almost entirely outdoors (as compared to Lionel, who also lives in Tucson, but does a lot more of his training indoors.) Sam is already used to training with full heat with zero cover in the Tucson desert in the dead of winter where it still gets roasty hot if you're out there at peak time in winter, at least compared to most other training locales.

I thought Sam does a lot of his training early in the morning? Isn't that what Sanders said? Maybe he's pushed it back now that he's got a kid, but early mornings and desert winters are anything but hot. It was in the 40s this morning in Tucson. Day time temps can get a little warm some days, but still nothing resembling hot yet. I'd just guess Sam does a better job in the heat for whatever physiological reasons of his body. I'd hope both are using the sauna if trying to become heat adapted.
Quote Reply
Re: How about Sam Long at T100 Miami !!! [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
lightheir wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

I thought Sam does a lot of his training early in the morning? Isn't that what Sanders said? Maybe he's pushed it back now that he's got a kid, but early mornings and desert winters are anything but hot. It was in the 40s this morning in Tucson. Day time temps can get a little warm some days, but still nothing resembling hot yet. I'd just guess Sam does a better job in the heat for whatever physiological reasons of his body. I'd hope both are using the sauna if trying to become heat adapted.

True, but I'll bet Sam regularly trains into the late morning daylight hours where temps will easily be 75F with full sun exposure before noon, especially given no tree coverage out there. For sure, it's hotter than most of where everyone else was training during the winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:
lightheir wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

True, but I'll bet Sam regularly trains into the late morning daylight hours where temps will easily be 75F with full sun exposure before noon, especially given no tree coverage out there. For sure, it's hotter than most of where everyone else was training during the winter.

Here's the next 10 day forecast for Tucson. The dew points are in the low 40s at their highest which means evaporative cooling would work wonderfully. This is not at all like Miami weather.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: How about Sam Long at T100 Miami !!! [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True - but I'm not saying that Tucson is remotely like Miami in the winter (it's not.)

Tucson just happens to be a LOT warmer than where almost every pro who raced there trained. That's where the advantage would come from.

But as well, Tucson temps this week range up to 70-75F by Friday. Add in the full blast sun, and it's easily 80+F in perceived heat. I know this because I was there this exact time of year last year, and brought clothing prepared for AM 45F temps, and never used it once. All summer weather, all week, and it was barely even chilly in the early Am start. It was frankly, hot near noon.
Last edited by: lightheir: Mar 15, 24 11:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing distinguishing Tuscon from others' training locations may be precipitation. Southern Spain, Gran Canaria, Southern France, etc don't seem materially different in late Feb RE temp ranges and relative humidity.
Quote Reply
Re: How about Sam Long at T100 Miami !!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam crushed it... HOW ABOUT INDIE LEE !

They both were stand out performances and made the race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next