Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Have you done anything to embarrass/PO another competitor? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
At least with the Snot Rocket, the fierce nasal inhale gives the target half a second of warning

"Oh man! He's got radar lock on us"
Get off my wheel!
No response.
<Snot rocket>

Justified use of area effect weaponry.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you done anything to embarrass/PO another competitor? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only need to fire once "

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Have you done anything to embarrass/PO another competitor? [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
I have been the triathlete in the position of being embarrassed!

I'm a female triathlete who is, shall we say, not at all well endowed in the chest area. I'm totally at peace with this, generally makes life easier and more comfortable.

Approaching the dismount line, the official on the line is helpfully alerting competitors and shouts to me "dismount here please sir!....[looks at me more closely]....oh, er, I mean, ma'am"

I've never found it anything but funny! Don't sweat it :)
I have the opposite problem, but I kinda did that to myself. Vanity, you know.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you done anything to embarrass/PO another competitor? [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
It's been a while since I have visited this side of our forum. I must confess to checking you out as your recent postings on the other side have intrigued.

My inglorious moment was similar to yours only mine was outright blatant. Near the last grouping into the water often meant a crowded field to navigate through on the bike. While out cruising well and fast ( many years ago this was) and in the zone of blissful focus, out of the blue I yell out, "Move over fat cow!" to a young lady who was blocking my pass while she was riding as the outboard member of an abreast grouping of three. We did exchange glances as I crossed the double line to execute the pass. Never ever had I said anything so mean spirited while in competition and I have no idea what possessed me to say such a nasty thing. I was troubled immediately, but not so much too slow down and offer an apology.

Within a mile or two of finishing the bike, I rolled my front tire off the rim hitting an exposed lip of a manhole cover, the wheel locked up and I flew over the handlebars and rolled into the ditch with an immediately apparent broken collarbone.

My first thought while sitting there was that there was some immediate and violent karma. I then hoped that the young lady, who actually was nowhere near that size status in stature, was able to recognize my misfortune and correctly identify me as the ogre with a foul mouth as she passed by the ambulance and then feel justice was well served.
Wow. I'll take you at your word that it was a one-time mental laps, but damn, that's harsh. Not saying you deserved THAT much, but cosmic karma, indeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you done anything to embarrass/PO another competitor? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
In a triathlon, had someone spend the majority of the bike leg blatantly drafting off me. Eventually I told him "back off or pass!" He replied "No way, you are doing awesome, keep it up!". At that point I realized how bad my allergies were and that the congestion was really making it hard to breathe ... so I cleared out all the congestion. I heard a long string of curses from the drafter and never saw him again.
One of the things about exercise is it certainly helps me clear out anything trying to make a home in my respiratory tract. I hate having to do it, but as a friend of mine likes to say, "if it ain't paying rent, it has to go."

Never thought of using it as a weapon though.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you done anything to embarrass/PO another competitor? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
What was it that you felt so strongly about to invite him to "step off the bike so we could chat about it?"

The wheel-sucking or the mocking?

Wheel sucking out on a training ride doesn't bother me, but in the race it started to get to me...but the mocking was the main issue :)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you done anything to embarrass/PO another competitor? [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little embarrassed to admit it now but I did the wheel suck thing once on one of my very early tris. At that point, I honestly didn't know it was a no-no. Too much of a n00b. I wasn't right on the guy's wheel, but I was probably within 3-4 bike lengths for a couple miles. And I shouldn't have been. I was working above my pace to stay there. But we hit a pretty good hill and he left me in the dust.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you done anything to embarrass/PO another competitor? [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in a two-person break in a bike race. Small, weak field in a collegiate race in Maine.

About five or so miles from the finish the other rider, who was far weaker than I but seemed to not realize it, asked how we should do the finish. I replied with "I'm going to attack and arrive at the finish alone."

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Have you done anything to embarrass/PO another competitor? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I yelled at a guy during Timberman who deliberately tossed a gel wrapper to the side of road. I told him "Dont be a slob" and as I passed him I told him he should turn around and pick his sh-- up or I would report him.
Quote Reply

Prev Next