Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Broke Zipp 808 hub (not freehub body) - what are my options?
Quote | Reply
I broke my actual hub, 2016 (?) Zipp 808. I tried to search for options but can't find any conclusive options. Any wheel gurus have a good idea? I would like to not buy a new wheel, but my options may be limited. Thanks!

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Broke Zipp 808 hub (not freehub body) - what are my options? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A very good shop can probably rebuild the wheel with a new hub. I'd expect to pay ~$150 for labor, plus the cost of new spokes, nipples, and a hub. Cheaper than a new wheel, but not particularly cheap, not much else to be done other than buying a wheel though
Quote Reply
Re: Broke Zipp 808 hub (not freehub body) - what are my options? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are the original owner and can prove it, try sending that picture to Zipp and see what they'll do.
Quote Reply
Re: Broke Zipp 808 hub (not freehub body) - what are my options? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
If you are the original owner and can prove it, try sending that picture to Zipp and see what they'll do.
This.

Zipp has had a history of bad hub design. Another failed hub will come as no surprise to whoever is approving warranty work.
Quote Reply
Re: Broke Zipp 808 hub (not freehub body) - what are my options? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
trail wrote:
This.

Zipp has had a history of bad hub design. Another failed hub will come as no surprise to whoever is approving warranty work.

That looks like the 176/177 hub which hasn’t been known for frequent failures.

Based on my last experience with Zipp (SRAM) for wheels manufactured before their lifetime warranty was in place you can expect Zero warranty help. I had a NSW rear cognition hub fail during a Euro cycling vacation. So, I’d already sunk hundreds into a replacement wheel to finish the trip. The Zipp warranty rep said I needed a new freehub and it was on me. The cognition freehub really has no wearing or failure parts and it was my hub that failed. I could not get this explained to the warranty rep. So frustrating. I was able to get some elevated help in the end. But I’m not counting on anything from Zipp for any wheelsets not covered under the lifetime warranty.

OP, I would suggest having the wheel rebuilt with a commonly used hub model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DT350 24 hole straight pull; you might even use your spokes and nipples
GENERAL
  • NET WEIGHT[/url]
  • FIELD OF APPLICATION
  • MATERIAL
BRAKE & FREEHUB SYSTEM
  • BRAKE INTERFACE[/url]
  • CASSETTE INTERFACE
  • FREEHUB BODY
  • FREEHUB SYSTEM
DIMENSIONS
  • AXLE SYSTEM
  • BUILT-IN DIMENSION
  • NUMBER OF HOLES
INCLUSIVE
  • INCLUSIVE

REAR WHEEL 35P NONDISC FOR QUICK RELEASE 5MMH35PHRQIR24SA6746S

• 230 g
  • Road
  • Aluminum

• Non disc
  • Shimano ROAD
  • Shim. RD. 11SP Light (ASL11)[/url]
  • Ratchet System 36 SL

• 5 mm quick release[/url]
  • 130 mm

Last edited by: jollyroger88: Mar 18, 24 3:03
Quote Reply
Re: Broke Zipp 808 hub (not freehub body) - what are my options? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know before going to the bike shop thanks!
Fwiw, customer service replied and they politely said "forget about it we are not helping at all".

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whilst noting they will probably fit, then 100% get them to rebuild with new spokes when putting in the new hub.
Quote Reply
Re: Broke Zipp 808 hub (not freehub body) - what are my options? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This/\/\/\

Even expensive spokes are only $3 each. It is not worth the hassle of chasing failing spokes because they end up stressed in a new direction (thinking of the slight bend at the nipple and at the hub hole)...ask me how I know!
Quote Reply
Re: Broke Zipp 808 hub (not freehub body) - what are my options? [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:
This/\/\/\

Even expensive spokes are only $3 each. It is not worth the hassle of chasing failing spokes because they end up stressed in a new direction (thinking of the slight bend at the nipple and at the hub hole)...ask me how I know!

This is what I did when my front hub cracked last summer. Bought a NOS hub off of EBay. The positive part it took a long time to get the spokes, which helped me talk the wife into getting a new bike. Now I have a set of 808s that I don't use/need.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Broke Zipp 808 hub (not freehub body) - what are my options? [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:
This/\/\/\

Same. Reused the spokes once. Had three of them snap over the next couple of years. Two while riding over speed bumps. One snapped while I was unclipped off the bike waiting for a red light. Uneven stress.
Quote Reply