Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Texas IM - 1st full IM in the IM series - [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I have heard from multiple people at many races that she has a tendency to get people a little close behind her when refs are around to give some penalties. //

It is basically like when driving a car, the one behind has all the responsibility for distance, and none on the driver(or rider) in front. Of course during the course of the bike portion of a race there are going to be speed changes, up and down. When you are the leading rider you get the luxury of making those changes on your own needs. It really is one of the only perks to leading a group or just being in front of others. So to blame that person for what really is just inattention to the trailing riders response, well grasping at straws really..

Of course Kat was the strongest rider on the day, but doesnt mean she didnt get caught up in stuff. And as she apparently explained, it was somewhere else where there was natural compression of the group. One thing that could be at issue, is the PTO where she races is much more flexible when someone barley enters the zone, and doesnt force them to make a pass every single time. And to some extent Ironman does the same, but every once in awhile a ref decides to enforce the letter of the rule and if that red light goes off and you dont pass, well that's your penalty right there. I wasn't there so cannot judge intent, but seems like her explanation seems reasonable and it was sort of a ticky tack call, although within the letter of the law..

While I agree with you about the front person being in control. Even in your analogy a car cannot slam on the breaks in the middle of the road for no reason and blame the car behind them for rear ending them. Yes the person behind needs to be paying attention but the person in front is not supposed to make strange speed changes for no reason. The rules don’t say you are not allowed to but I believe the spirit of racing dictates you shouldn’t.

All I’m saying is she is somewhat known for this sort of tactic around her peers when she is tired and hurting. Most of them are shaken off as “ticky tack” but maybe she is good at making them look like that. Ticky tack or not it’s still 5 minutes and can end someone’s day in big races.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas IM - 1st full IM in the IM series - [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
He has been an ITU athlete for years, and of course he is on the same protocol as everybody else. Why would he not be?

Vthokie09 wrote:
Yes, that was the post I was referencing, which led to my question on whether or not Tomas is on a protocol.

i have no idea but given those results https://www.triathlon.org/...2775/tomas_rodriguez
chances are way higher we was not in a testing pool he was the 20th highest ranked mexican athelte in his last race he did so you can be prety sure he did not have to do whereabouts.
anyway as for the other poster you can be sure he will be now on the ironman testing pool and surely will be tested.
the point of pro tri news was that if yeuri was racing in the ironman series he would have been in the testing pool of ironman by now, while pto does not have set this up yet . they did not blame the athletes but pto for the issue .
Last edited by: pk: Apr 28, 24 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: Texas IM - 1st full IM in the IM series - [An_apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An_apple wrote:
monty wrote:
I have heard from multiple people at many races that she has a tendency to get people a little close behind her when refs are around to give some penalties. //

It is basically like when driving a car, the one behind has all the responsibility for distance, and none on the driver(or rider) in front. Of course during the course of the bike portion of a race there are going to be speed changes, up and down. When you are the leading rider you get the luxury of making those changes on your own needs. It really is one of the only perks to leading a group or just being in front of others. So to blame that person for what really is just inattention to the trailing riders response, well grasping at straws really..

Of course Kat was the strongest rider on the day, but doesnt mean she didnt get caught up in stuff. And as she apparently explained, it was somewhere else where there was natural compression of the group. One thing that could be at issue, is the PTO where she races is much more flexible when someone barley enters the zone, and doesnt force them to make a pass every single time. And to some extent Ironman does the same, but every once in awhile a ref decides to enforce the letter of the rule and if that red light goes off and you dont pass, well that's your penalty right there. I wasn't there so cannot judge intent, but seems like her explanation seems reasonable and it was sort of a ticky tack call, although within the letter of the law..

While I agree with you about the front person being in control. Even in your analogy a car cannot slam on the breaks in the middle of the road for no reason and blame the car behind them for rear ending them. Yes the person behind needs to be paying attention but the person in front is not supposed to make strange speed changes for no reason. The rules don’t say you are not allowed to but I believe the spirit of racing dictates you shouldn’t.

All I’m saying is she is somewhat known for this sort of tactic around her peers when she is tired and hurting. Most of them are shaken off as “ticky tack” but maybe she is good at making them look like that. Ticky tack or not it’s still 5 minutes and can end someone’s day in big races.

This is somewhat annoying because you keep implying someone well known for her sportsmanship and camaraderie in the sport doesn’t play fair and ruins races. Without any evidence at all and even when presented with multiple first hand reports of the exact opposite.

To be clear neither Kat nor Maja, who have raced with her multiple times and both received penalties in Jocelyn’s group yesterday, have anything but good things to say about the way she rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An_apple wrote:
monty wrote:
An_apple wrote:
I’m glad [Matthews] thought yesterday she (McCauley] biked correctly but I have heard from multiple people at many races that she has a tendency to get people a little close behind her when refs are around to give some penalties. . . . It seems to happen more in races where she is tired or not having her best day.
. . . the one behind has all the responsibility for distance, and none on the driver(or rider) in front.
. . . . One thing that could be at issue, is the PTO where [Matthews] races is much more flexible when someone barely enters the zone, and doesn't force them to make a pass every single time. . . .
While I agree with you about the front person being in control. Even in your analogy a car cannot slam on the breaks in the middle of the road for no reason and blame the car behind them for rear ending them. Yes the person behind needs to be paying attention but the person in front is not supposed to make strange speed changes for no reason.

All I’m saying is she is somewhat known for this sort of tactic around her peers when she is tired and hurting. Most of them are shaken off as “ticky tack” but maybe she is good at making them look like that.
Late to this.
Impressed that @An_apple has sufficient insight into the behaviour profiles within the WPro top tier and look forward to further revelations. Really interesting to hear different albeit second/third hand perspectives. The Facts bloke has shared what Matthews take is on McCauley (they share a coach (Geesmann) of course). I reckon he/she is more likely to have a genuine insight than your correspondents ("multiple people at many race").
When you say McCauley has a tactic of "getting people a little close behind her" do you mean she eases off unexpectedly or without any foreseeable reason (eg a corner)? Are you suggesting brake testing?
Caveat sequor!

And even if this assertion has any validity, what's this about "seems to happen more in races where she is tired or not having her best day" and you noted Sodaro's and Matthews' penalties.
In IMNZ earlier this year, McCauley was having an excellent race, as was Sodaro. As the leading pair they were sharing the pull (lion's share McCauley obviously 'cos why would Sodaro pull - check the tracker for the detail). Penalty was in the first half of the ride. So neither "tired [nor] not having her best day".
Yesterday (Texas) McCauley, Matthews and Stage Nielsen had swum the second half together and had every expectation to ride successfully together either catching Langridge/Wilms or at least minimising any loss. The penalty was called in the first hour: so neither "tired [nor] not having her best day".

Finally, for @monty: "the PTO where [Matthews] races": well, the odd race. She has raced Milwaukee (with RR) last year and Miami this year. I doubt her focus to stay a fair distance behind is reduced by her experience with Race Ranger. Are you suggesting Miami lulled her into a false sense of security? Quite the reverse, she got 80km RR practice at Milwaukee but tbf very little pack riding there, and then 80km in Miami mostly behind Byram or leading (the Findlay/Lawrence/Byram/Ryf group) till a lap to go (miscounting). After a few laps of the Homestead inner road circuit section, other riders' styles/cornering strengths became obvious so that meant their speed variation could be predicted and allowed for.

Quote Reply
Re: Texas IM - 1st full IM in the IM series - [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
An_apple wrote:
monty wrote:
An_apple wrote:
I’m glad [Matthews] thought yesterday she (McCauley] biked correctly but I have heard from multiple people at many races that she has a tendency to get people a little close behind her when refs are around to give some penalties. . . . It seems to happen more in races where she is tired or not having her best day.
. . . the one behind has all the responsibility for distance, and none on the driver(or rider) in front.
. . . . One thing that could be at issue, is the PTO where [Matthews] races is much more flexible when someone barely enters the zone, and doesn't force them to make a pass every single time. . . .
While I agree with you about the front person being in control. Even in your analogy a car cannot slam on the breaks in the middle of the road for no reason and blame the car behind them for rear ending them. Yes the person behind needs to be paying attention but the person in front is not supposed to make strange speed changes for no reason.

All I’m saying is she is somewhat known for this sort of tactic around her peers when she is tired and hurting. Most of them are shaken off as “ticky tack” but maybe she is good at making them look like that.
Late to this.
Impressed that @An_apple has sufficient insight into the behaviour profiles within the WPro top tier and look forward to further revelations. Really interesting to hear different albeit second/third hand perspectives. The Facts bloke has shared what Matthews take is on McCauley (they share a coach (Geesmann) of course). I reckon he/she is more likely to have a genuine insight than your correspondents ("multiple people at many race").
When you say McCauley has a tactic of "getting people a little close behind her" do you mean she eases off unexpectedly or without any foreseeable reason (eg a corner)? Are you suggesting brake testing?
Caveat sequor!

And even if this assertion has any validity, what's this about "seems to happen more in races where she is tired or not having her best day" and you noted Sodaro's and Matthews' penalties.
In IMNZ earlier this year, McCauley was having an excellent race, as was Sodaro. As the leading pair they were sharing the pull (lion's share McCauley obviously 'cos why would Sodaro pull - check the tracker for the detail). Penalty was in the first half of the ride. So neither "tired [nor] not having her best day".
Yesterday (Texas) McCauley, Matthews and Stage Nielsen had swum the second half together and had every expectation to ride successfully together either catching Langridge/Wilms or at least minimising any loss. The penalty was called in the first hour: so neither "tired [nor] not having her best day".

Finally, for @monty: "the PTO where [Matthews] races": well, the odd race. She has raced Milwaukee (with RR) last year and Miami this year. I doubt her focus to stay a fair distance behind is reduced by her experience with Race Ranger. Are you suggesting Miami lulled her into a false sense of security? Quite the reverse, she got 80km RR practice at Milwaukee but tbf very little pack riding there, and then 80km in Miami mostly behind Byram or leading (the Findlay/Lawrence/Byram/Ryf group) till a lap to go (miscounting). After a few laps of the Homestead inner road circuit section, other riders' styles/cornering strengths became obvious so that meant their speed variation could be predicted and allowed for.

I was at the taupo race at the turn around on the bike after the first lap and McCauley did not look like she was feeling very good. The penalty occurred at the start of the second lap and hearing from sodaro first hand she did not feel McCauley was riding fairly the whole time.

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t McCauley potentially having knee surgery now after Texas? Can’t Imagine she felt great on that ride yesterday.

I think we can all agree that if you are basing peoples feelings of others off what you see on social media then it won’t always be genuine. Especially coming from the women because they are thrown to the wolves if they show any sort of problem with other females.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas IM - 1st full IM in the IM series - [jcgiraSHT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened to Trevor Foley?
His last YouTube he seemed to be really gunning for big things at Texas.
I'm sure I'm missing something here and will be flamed.
Crossed my mind that soemthing happened to both he and LS while training but not the case as Lionel has come out and said what his issue is.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas IM - 1st full IM in the IM series - [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got smacked by the triathlon gods for talking shit about Gomez??? (-;

Have no idea what his race issues were of course, sure someone here does though...
Quote Reply
Re: Texas IM - 1st full IM in the IM series - [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
What happened to Trevor Foley?
His last YouTube he seemed to be really gunning for big things at Texas.
I'm sure I'm missing something here and will be flamed.
Crossed my mind that soemthing happened to both he and LS while training but not the case as Lionel has come out and said what his issue is.

He had a bike wreck and is still recovering from the concussion. He did a video on it recently.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas IM - 1st full IM in the IM series - [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tomas is not currently in the IM protocol. I can't find anything from Tri Mexique regarding whether he remains in theirs.

Assuming that he isn't in one on the ITU front, I can almost guarantee he'll be in Q3/Q4 protocol with IM.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Texas IM - 1st full IM in the IM series - [Vthokie09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vthokie09 wrote:
I don’t follow ITU, and have never heard of him until yesterday’s win.

Neither you have been following up IM brand races.

Have you googled his race results? The guy has been steadily improving from 70.3 Mt. Tremblant 2022 when he finished second to Sanders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An_apple wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
An_apple wrote:
All I’m saying is [McCauley] is somewhat known for this sort of tactic around her peers when she is tired and hurting. Most of them are shaken off as “ticky tack” but maybe she is good at making them look like that.
Impressed that @An_apple has sufficient insight into the behaviour profiles within the WPro top tier and look forward to further revelations. Really interesting to hear different albeit second/third hand perspectives.
I was at the taupo race at the turn around on the bike after the first lap and McCauley did not look like she was feeling very good. The penalty occurred at the start of the second lap and hearing from sodaro first hand she did not feel McCauley was riding fairly the whole time.
I think we can all agree that if you are basing peoples feelings of others off what you see on social media then it won’t always be genuine. Especially coming from the women because they are thrown to the wolves if they show any sort of problem with other females.
"look forward to further revelations"
You report that Sodaro shared to you at Taupo that "did not feel McCauley was riding fairly the whole time".
If Sodaro felt that during the race I guess the solution would be to ride on the front, or maintain a longer gap.
We've all had times in group rides where some riding close are unpredictable: a wary eye is sensible, with extra space anytime they're ahead and/or near.
On the home team, both Matthews and Stage Nielsen do not recognise any such unfair riding.
Good to see McCauley getting a wildcard for T100 in Singapore and finishing the race well.
Sad she did not finish on Saturday but I have faith she'll bounce back.
Quote Reply

Prev Next