Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wondering if I need to replace the tubes in my race wheels?
Quote | Reply
I've got a set of race only wheels that Ive used since about 2018. They've still got the original tires and tubes I installed in 2018, but with only about 1000 race miles on them, I'm wondering if tubes have a "shelf life" of sorts? Just keep rolling until I have a problem or go ahead and replace simply due to age? Stored in a climate controlled environment if that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: Wondering if I need to replace the tubes in my race wheels? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can always pull them out and see if there's any location that looks dry. Practice removing and installing tires is great for if you flat on raceday anyway. I'd think they're fine though
Quote Reply
Re: Wondering if I need to replace the tubes in my race wheels? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in the day people used to age tubulars, but it wasn't for half a decade. Rubber does deteriorate with age, but I think a lot of that is due to UV light exposure. I would check the sidewall of the tires for any signs of cracking and check if the rubber seems particularly stiff or hard compared to a ne tire. If all looks good give them a spin and not worry about it/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the above. I would do it not only to make sure everything is good, but also to make sure you remember how to change out a flat, preferably efficiently and quickly, and that your on-road flat kit works.

It's surprising how easy it is to forget a critical flat kit item. Like valve extender remover tool, or even the right length tube (long-stem tubes don't fit in disc wheels, you need short 42mm stems) etc.

One really helpful tool for training flat kits at least, I've found, is a tire-bead jack. There's a small one, the "EZ Clincher" that actually is small and works as advertised (youtube has a review of it), or bringin the entire Kool stop tire bead jack if you can fit it somehwere. I don't bring them on races as I can get my tires on mostly without them, but for training, they make things a lot faster in the remount.
Last edited by: lightheir: Mar 29, 24 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get a new pair of Continental Grand Prix 5000 clincher tires and latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had the same latex tubes in my race wheels for over a decade….no issues.

A few days before the first race of the season I pump them up just to make sure they are ok, but have never had an issue. The inside of a tire/rim is a fairly protective environment.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Wondering if I need to replace the tubes in my race wheels? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would get a new pair of Continental Grand Prix 5000 clincher tires and latex tubes.

Even if the tubes are OK, "modern" tubes, latex/TPU is what I was thinking as well. The ride quality can be day/night.
Quote Reply