Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for help pricing a tri bike that's been in my closet for the last 10 years.

It was one of the first Cervelo P5-6's to hit the USA back in 2012. I rode it literally 10 times, 8 of them races, the other two were just practice rides. I had other bikes for training, including an identically setup P2C. Then I got injured, so all bikes went into my closet, kept as a signal of hope that I would some day compete again.

Well it's 10+ years later and I crossed over 50 years old, I have decided I am at peace not doing triathlons again. I have other hobbies that I enjoy that don't beat up my body as much. I'm ready to move on.

Anyway - the bike is a Cervelo P5-6 in size 56 (Pic below) and has a front carbon Zipp 808, rear Hed disc with powertap, and 165 Rotor cranks, Dura Ace shifters and derailer. This thing was amazing. It won me a few races.

However I'm completely out of the loop and have no idea what this is worth. It was $10k+ new. I'm sure it's still pretty competitive. but it's also over 10 years old.

I'm not fishing for offers. I'll be listing it in local NYC classified and will be taking cash only. I'm really just looking for help understanding (a) is this bike still competitive, and (b) what is it worth, given that it's old, but essentially new?

EDIT: Picture below. (Attached pictures seem to work only if you uncheck the "inline" box?????)
Last edited by: matto: Mar 29, 24 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6? [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$3K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always thought that good used equipment should be worth between 40 and 60% of the purchase price, but I wouldn't hold your breath about getting a fair price. Some of the critisisms of the bike might be that the disc isn't ipgradable to 11 sp, mechanical shifting, narrow rims, a cockpit that is going to take some work to upgrade to more modern standards, and the difficulty of finding parts to service the brakes. Nevertheless, there really aren't many/any bikes that are as aero. My guess is $4-5000 would be good, but expect people to really low-ball the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a 2014 P5-6. A little newer and it had Di2 shifting. It was also never rode and in mint shape. The wheels were Enve 7.8 tubular. The price I paid was $1800. The magura brakes were toast and it cost me a grand to replace. So say is cost me $2800. The other thing you need to check is the auro bars. They had a recall in I believe 2013. There is a way to see if yours was included in recall. You are right that these bikes are still competitive. If the bars and brakes are good I think you are looking around $3000.
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6? [tomk407] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I had the 2013 recall on the bars done at the shop I purchased the bike from.

Damn, these numbers are lower than I expected for a bike that is likely still pretty competitive. But a dose of reality is good!

I might just keep it and hang it on the wall as art!

Thanks everyone.
Last edited by: matto: Mar 29, 24 18:08
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
a cockpit that is going to take some work to upgrade to more modern standards

I'm curious, what has happened in cockpit design in the last 10 years? I missed this new trend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Introduction of tilt into the extensions, longer pads/more support for the whole arm, and general adjustability.

The stock P5-6 aerobars are famously not easy to adjust. Basic design philosophy for that bike was to get fit on a fit bike, and then you were kind of locked in to your steerer tube length due to the design of the Aduro bars/spacers.

Unfortunately while it’s still a fast bike, the drivetrain is three generations old, and mechanical. I have a friend who just bought a used P5 (not a P5-6) with 11 speed Dura Ace (first gen 11 speed), dual tri rig brakes, upgraded fancy aerobar with the new Profile Design ASC43 extension, and 90 mm deep carbon front wheel with Mavic Comete disc wheel - he paid $1800.

Quote | Reply
The sad thing is that the value to you is going to be way beyond the price anyone else will pay. Part of the reason I've a transition rack of old bikes.

Put it this way, what would you be thinking is the price %age of a 12 year old car of it's new price?

Of course there's nothing wrong with the bike, and by sounds it's in A1 shape, and has a lot of great memories for you, and you know how much it's been cherished. But sadly, all those rides you did on it cost you nearly $1k a pop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
a cockpit that is going to take some work to upgrade to more modern standards

I'm curious, what has happened in cockpit design in the last 10 years? I missed this new trend!

While all fits are personal, the general trend is a reduction in drop and increase in reach. When your bike came out the thinking was to run low hands, horizontal forearms and get the torso as low as possible. The downside of that position is that very few people have the flexibility to put out power with that much drop (Fabian Cancellara could bend over and rest his palms flat on the floor) and it leaves you biceps/uppper arms pretty much hanging out in free flowing air. Cylinders are about as bad, aerodynamically, as it gets.

I credit the change in fit physiology to Sebastian Keinle and all the crazy UK TT riders. It took these people showing up and throwing down insanity fast times for the rest of the bike industry to get a clue. Even now most manufacturers produce bikes with cockpits that serve no purpose except to hold the brake levers, which is why nobody rides the stock cockpit on bike like the Specialized Shiv TT (the new Scott TT bike is the only exception to the rule I can think of).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My guess is The Right Buyer pays $1700-1900 but you'll have to wait for them, so it depends if you want to cash now or not.

If someone offered $1500 I'd take the money and do a happy dance.

Realistically I think ~ $1000-1200.

What I might also do is see if I could find some kid who is looking into getting into triathlon and give it to them. Another option is a not for profit that helps kids get into cycling or triathlon then take a tax deduction for it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I credit the change in fit physiology to Sebastian Keinle and all the crazy UK TT riders. It took these people showing up and throwing down insanity fast times for the rest of the bike industry to get a clue

Frankly, from the engineering side of things, it is a bit embarrassing for the bike industry that it has taken us so many decades to figure things out that we already knew from the fundamentals that we have known for centuries now.

Putting CFD and wind tunnel testing aside, we have been using power meters for decades now and the fact that none of the bike designers could go to a velodrome with a calibrated power meter and an open mind to test a few different things and really find out what is actually faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd pay $1500 and arrange for shipping on my dime right now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
I'm looking for help pricing a tri bike that's been in my closet for the last 10 years.

It was one of the first Cervelo P5-6's to hit the USA back in 2012. I rode it literally 10 times, 8 of them races, the other two were just practice rides. I had other bikes for training, including an identically setup P2C. Then I got injured, so all bikes went into my closet, kept as a signal of hope that I would some day compete again.

Well it's 10+ years later and I crossed over 50 years old, I have decided I am at peace not doing triathlons again. I have other hobbies that I enjoy that don't beat up my body as much. I'm ready to move on.

Anyway - the bike is a Cervelo P5-6 in size 56 (Pic below) and has a front carbon Zipp 808, rear Hed disc with powertap, and 165 Rotor cranks, Dura Ace shifters and derailer. This thing was amazing. It won me a few races.

However I'm completely out of the loop and have no idea what this is worth. It was $10k+ new. I'm sure it's still pretty competitive. but it's also over 10 years old.

I'm not fishing for offers. I'll be listing it in local NYC classified and will be taking cash only. I'm really just looking for help understanding (a) is this bike still competitive, and (b) what is it worth, given that it's old, but essentially new?

EDIT: Picture below. (Attached pictures seem to work only if you uncheck the "inline" box?????)

For a realist number go on eBay and look up COMPLETED sales
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wheels alone would get $1k. If the frame was listed for $1k alone it would probably sell. I think these $1500 estimates are too low considering the wheels.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. I could see 3500+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it becomes hard to ask for a lot of money as certain things would be considered behind the current trends (Mechanical, rim brakes, etc...). So I think pricing it comes down to enticing somebody with an offer that would trounce that of an intro setup. The Cervelo p-series starts at $3500. So could you tempt somebody with all of the bells and whistles for $2500-$3000? Perhaps. As you get into the higher prices people expect the warranty, the LBS promised support. and the assumption of the newest tech and absolutely zero blemishes.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can confirm. Fast bike. One took 5th at US Pro TT in 2021 with a setup that is identical except di2 instead of mechanical. But also, FYI, we purchased that one for $3200 in 2020. Might fetch the same now.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:

Damn, these numbers are lower than I expected for a bike that is likely still pretty competitive. But a dose of reality is good!

Welcome to the world of selling used bikes. I’ve sold my fair share of used high end bikes. Most of which were 2-5 years old and not 12 years old. Whatever your initial thought was for price, cut that in half and that’s your realistic starting point. $2,500 is likely your ceiling with the right buyer. Anyone thinking you can get $3,500+ might be on crack. You might find one sucker who would pay that but good luck finding that unicorn.

Yes, the bike is still very fast but nobody will give two shits about that. It’s all about the components and tech. What people want (even in a used bike): 12-speed electronic group sets, disc brakes, wide wheels and tires, super adjustable cockpits, and built-in hydration and storage systems. This bike has none of that. Components are three generations ago and the bike lacks the user friendliness and adjustability people expect in bikes nowadays.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 2, 24 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you find anyone willing to pay USD$3,500 you should make sure they pay cash (and probably check that it's not counterfeit), because they are either a scammer or legally unfit to manage their own money.

Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
The wheels alone would get $1k. If the frame was listed for $1k alone it would probably sell. I think these $1500 estimates are too low considering the wheels.

Anyone willing to pay $1,000 for those wheels needs to have their head examined.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Anyone willing to pay $1,000 for those wheels needs to have their head examined.
I mean, it's a firecrest 808 and a presumably clincher disc. I just sold a pair of 808 firecrest clinchers for $850 net to me on ebay after shipping and fees. I think that was $1000 purchase price. Ebay will get higher prices for something like that even accounting for fees just by reaching a larger audience who won't always have the cheaper local options.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone help me price my time capsule P5-6? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:

I credit the change in fit physiology to Sebastian Keinle and all the crazy UK TT riders. It took these people showing up and throwing down insanity fast times for the rest of the bike industry to get a clue

Frankly, from the engineering side of things, it is a bit embarrassing for the bike industry that it has taken us so many decades to figure things out that we already knew from the fundamentals that we have known for centuries now.

Putting CFD and wind tunnel testing aside, we have been using power meters for decades now and the fact that none of the bike designers could go to a velodrome with a calibrated power meter and an open mind to test a few different things and really find out what is actually faster.

There was an article in Bicycling Magazine back in 1990 or so after LeMond won the tour on aero bars where they tested no bars, aero bars level, and 15 degrees on a velodrome using a HR monitor. The 15 degree set up was the fastest set up and that was 1990!

Also, LeMond showed us the way back in 1989 of TT best practices with aero bar set up. His arms were 15 degrees, fast helmet, rear disc.
Quote Reply