Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Tri in several decades...
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, I'm competing in the Eagleman in June. As I said, it's been 30 years since a Tri. Although, for the past 6 years or so, I've been reasonably consistent in marathons and one ultra. With that said, I've not gotten in the pool yet, as I really despise it, having swam competitively for 10 years. I do most of my strength training for swimming on my Concept Erg, 20-30k a week, or so. I think I'll be fine for a 2000m swim, but would like to query the brain trust here. I do have access to a short-course pool, and plan to get in it this month for a few swims a week..... Thanks for any tips.
Last edited by: Ultra-run: Apr 9, 24 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri in several decades... [Ultra-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-run wrote:
Hey folks, I'm competing in the Eagleman in June. As I said, it's been 30 years since a Tri. Although, for the past 6 years or so, I've been reasonably consistent in marathons and one ultra. With that said, I've not gotten in the pool yet, as I really despise it, having swam competitively for 10 years. I do most of my strength training for swimming on my Concept Erg, 20-30k a week, or so. I think I'll be fine for a 2000m swim, but would like to query the brain trust here. I do have access to a short-course pool, and plan to get in it this month for a few swims a week..... Thanks for any tips.

here is my counsel, since you asked for it: don't force yourself to swim x number of yards to achieve legitimacy in the workout. the first 800 yards are worth 50 percent more than the next 800 yards and these are worth more than the third 800 yards and so on. so, if you get in the pool, and you swim 1000 yards, and you want to get out, get out. some days you'll get out after 1,000 yards, some days you'll want to swim and will swim 3,000 yards.

i'm just about ready to get into the pool after a 8mo or so layoff and i'll swim whatever i want. no stress. no guilt if i don't hit 2,000 or 2,400 yards (or whatever your guilt yardage is). eventually, when i get fitter, i'll start swimming long sustained swims in the pool (1,500 yards, then 2,000 yards, then 3,000 yards), maybe once a week or week and a half. these long swims don't do anything for my top-end speed but they supercharge my race fitness. after a half-dozen or so long sustained pool efforts i'll be ready to race.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri in several decades... [Ultra-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a long time since I did Eagleman, but the swim was one of the choppiest that I ever did in all my years of open water swimming. In addition to some pool swimming, I would suggest getting back into some decent open water workouts, too.

Bike was very flat but extremely windy the year I did it. Be prepared for frustration if/when you aren't going as fast (or having to work much harder) than what you would expect on a flat course.

For the run, focus on hydration and nutrition, especially if the day really heats up for you.

Hope it goes great! God bless!

Ray
Quote Reply