Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frozen Shoulder
Quote | Reply
My wife had shoulder surgery 8 weeks ago. Her preop MRI was showing a lot of possible damage, but when the surgeon got in there, he had to do a simple labrum repair and clean off arthritic bone changes at the A/C joint.

She wore a shoulder brace/harness for two weeks and was then allowed to remove it and start PT. The ortho PA said "just don't try and raise your arm above your head". She's been having increased pain, each week, and thought it was because of her PT and her being aggressive, at home, with her therapy. The PA today told her it was from "frozen shoulder".

Anyone else deal with this? I've no experience with it. Looks like continued PT is the best approach but he told her a steroid injection and/or surgery as possible future options.
Quote Reply
Re: Frozen Shoulder [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
My wife had shoulder surgery 8 weeks ago. Her preop MRI was showing a lot of possible damage, but when the surgeon got in there, he had to do a simple labrum repair and clean off arthritic bone changes at the A/C joint.

She wore a shoulder brace/harness for two weeks and was then allowed to remove it and start PT. The ortho PA said "just don't try and raise your arm above your head". She's been having increased pain, each week, and thought it was because of her PT and her being aggressive, at home, with her therapy. The PA today told her it was from "frozen shoulder".

Anyone else deal with this? I've no experience with it. Looks like continued PT is the best approach but he told her a steroid injection and/or surgery as possible future options.

I had it in 2016, was in my early 40's at the time.

From my research at the time, here is what the experts said worked: nothing. Even my PT said "you can keep coming in but it isn't going to make much of a difference, if any"
From my experience at the time, here is what helped me: nothing. It went away on it's own after about 9 months. I tried massage, PT, I even tried acupuncture. Nothing helped.

Maybe other people have success stories on here, but for me it was just time and patience that cured it.
Quote Reply
Re: Frozen Shoulder [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
EyeRunMD wrote:

From my research at the time, here is what the experts said worked: nothing. Even my PT said "you can keep coming in but it isn't going to make much of a difference, if any"
From my experience at the time, here is what helped me: nothing. It went away on it's own after about 9 months. I tried massage, PT, I even tried acupuncture. Nothing helped.

Maybe other people have success stories on here, but for me it was just time and patience that cured it.

Sad to say, but reading up on this problem, it seems that is the "cure" for some people with frozen shoulder. Sucks because you like to know there is an end in sight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really wish it were otherwise. Did my first IM in late summer 2015 so it was poorly timed, and with no end in sight it was brutal. When it was getting better it improved rather quickly at least, so when I first noticed that there was improvement it was only about 2 weeks before it was cured, more or less.
Quote Reply
Re: Frozen Shoulder [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
EyeRunMD wrote:

That was my same experience. Nothing prescribed would work.

I was desperate and read something by a John M Kirsch, M.D. about doing dead hangs from a bar to heal it. I figured, what the hell, I have a bar in the basement and nothing to lose. Within 3 weeks I had full range of motion back.

I had to work up to the full hang over time and it hurt, but was worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine started in 2018. My doc at the time told me if we left it alone I'd be back to normal in 3 YEARS - or I could try 12 weeks of PT & daily at-home exercises for however long I could keep it up - and I could *possibly* be back to normal in something less. I opted for the latter. I made obvious progress week-to-week during PT, going from nearly no mobility to some. If I went to the edge of my ROM it was excruciating. At the conclusion of PT the doc told me to grit my teeth and do whatever I could, especially swimming. He specifically said it was going to suck. (It did.) I got an injection a couple months after that; it really helped the pain but didn't change my ROM.
I was back to normal in just over 3 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Frozen Shoulder [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:
EyeRunMD wrote:

That was my same experience. Nothing prescribed would work.

I was desperate and read something by a John M Kirsch, M.D. about doing dead hangs from a bar to heal it. I figured, what the hell, I have a bar in the basement and nothing to lose. Within 3 weeks I had full range of motion back.

I had to work up to the full hang over time and it hurt, but was worth it.

I had frozen shoulder in both shoulders simultaneously, quite painful. Tried all the therapies but could not get past the severity of the pain. After a month I ended up getting a cortisone shot in both shoulders at the same time. The shots also had a painkiller component and I was able to sleep pain free that night for the 1st time in over a month... The resulting decrease in inflammation allowed me to do the therapies/exercises almost pain free. I was 62 at the time (I'm now 70) and have not had a re occurrence. I do the stretches and exercises daily. Weight training has also seemed to help me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy is a massage therapist and does some other work as well. Here is a video of what he has described to help with frozen shoulder. No guarantees or anything, but hey worth a shot. https://massagelibrary.com/...en-shoulder-release/

I have seen some other work of his with hips as well, might be worth a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me, I'd try to find a good PT who can suss out if it's truly a frozen shoulder or her pain and limited range of motion is due to something else that can be more readily addressed. Lots of issues that cause pain and loss of shoulder ROM get generally called frozen shoulder but aren't adhesive capsulitis, which sounds like what the PA thinks it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this in both shoulders on separate occasions about three years apart. In the first instance, I gradually lost range of motion over several months to the extent I couldn't put on a shirt without assistance. I thought it must be something like a torn rotator cuff, but xray and MRI revealed no structural damage and I got the diagnosis of frozen shoulder and the suggested treatment was physical therapy. It took about 3 months of treatment 3x/week with the PT and work at home on the other days. The pain involved in pushing to extend my range of motion was pretty intense and I felt my physiotherapist did a good job of showing me the limits of what I should be doing and I made sure to stay slightly below those levels when doing my independent work. At the end of 3 months I had at least 95% of my original range of motion and was pain free. When my other shoulder began to show similar issues about 3 years later, I used the exercises I had previously been taught and resolved the problem myself (although I didn't let the problem get a severe as the first time). Knock on wood - have had no problems with either shoulder the past 4 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eyerunmd.

Yes, I’ve had it and it still flairs up everyonce in a while. It’s painful !

I’m in Denver, and I can discuss the protocol that can help it. Pm me if you want.
Quote Reply