Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is Trump losing steam? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Was she from Vegas by chance?

@VegasJen joke?

Close-ish. Rural northern Nevada. Paradoxically people I love - the vast majority kind and down-to-earth. But are completely rosy-eyed about Trump.

Nevada is pure Trump except Las Vegas and Reno-Tahoe. The only two genuine urban areas. That's why it's a purple state. But it's a good shade of purple. Even the GOP governor and my GOP house rep are quite sane and reasonable.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Trump losing steam? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often wonder.

Similar to you, I live and work in a really strong Trump area. I have said previously, I elect to go and be in our rural clinics. Because I really enjoy the people, outside of their politics. What interests me is they assume I share their beliefs, so they feel free to initiate discussions. And like you I vacillate between smiling, nodding, and diffusing, and then politely but firmly disagreeing when I need to. And often they show mutual respect. I tease some of my Trump fans who know I am not, and vice versa.

Do you think it is a matter of diehards just assuming everyone in proximity must feel same? Or does a casual and familiar demeanor invite the assumption? Probably a bit of both.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Trump losing steam? [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

Do you think it is a matter of diehards just assuming everyone in proximity must feel same? Or does a casual and familiar demeanor invite the assumption? Probably a bit of both.

Yeah, I think for me it's both. I drive the right car, dress the right way, crew cut, talk the right way (when not talking about politics or vaccines), to make people naturally I assume I'm a good 'ole boy. The car and dress are not an affectation - rolled with off-the-rack $25 jeans in coastal CA as well.

The typical CA coastal invader/retiree in my area is easier to spot. Stereotypical Tesla/Taycan, $300 designer down jacket instead of my pullover hoodie, etc.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 14, 24 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Is Trump losing steam? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

Was she from Vegas by chance?

@VegasJen joke?

Close-ish. Rural northern Nevada. Paradoxically people I love - the vast majority kind and down-to-earth. But are completely rosy-eyed about Trump.

Nevada is pure Trump except Las Vegas and Reno-Tahoe. The only two genuine urban areas. That's why it's a purple state. But it's a good shade of purple. Even the GOP governor and my GOP house rep are quite sane and reasonable.

Yup it was and VegasJen came, saw, planted her freak flag, and left (maybe).

I'm always amazed that people will saddle up to virtual strangers and start discussing politics. I was at a friend's wedding in Vegas in 2014 and the bride's uncle sat at my table. After a few drinks he started going on and on about how Obama was ruining the country and proceeded to thrash talk CA (he's from Missouri). I politely extricated myself from the situation but before doing so reminded him that there is a large swath of CA that he could fit in very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Trump losing steam? [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
Trump still has tremendous support because people look back with rose colored glasses and think everything he did made the economy better. They don't acknowledge that much of what they think Trump did was actually the work of Obama, who handed a booming economy to Trump. They also blame Biden for many things not caused by Biden. Lots of the inflation issue is due to the massively screwed up global economy from the pandemic. Trump doesn't have any real policies other than telling people he'll return the country to the economy of his first term.

The hush money trial could be a big boost as well if he is not found guilty. The prosecution is playing with fire and if they don't get a conviction it could propel Trump into winning the election.

true and true
Quote Reply
Re: Is Trump losing steam? [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in a very strong Republican county. Much less MAGA than it was 4-8 years ago. Most will be voting straight red except they may leave the president option blank. Outside chance they vote for some down-ticket dems, but not for President. It may come down to either Biden or Trump doing something absurdly stupid that will hold their attention long enough to decide their vote.

Something unrelated that could get some people fired up here is the Prosecuting Attorneys' Council of Georgia (PAC) finally announced a special prosecutor, Pete Skandalakis, will look into charges our current Lt. Governor Burt Jones (R) interfered with our state elections back in 2020 (he wasn't Lt. Gov then). Burt was one the special electors that had planned and put into place a coup of our state democratic institutions and tried to blame it on advice from lawyers (he's a lawyer). He should be disbarred and locked up. I have no faith that PAC will bring any charges as Burt is part of the good ol' boys network, but at least it is moving forward. Most here couldn't care less whether justice is served seeing as they elected him Lt. Gov. after all of this was known. He took the place of a young, up and and coming Christian conservation who actually cares about people and our institutions. Someone that was run out of politics by MAGA after he refused to say the 2020 election was anything but 100% legitimate. Some Republicans here are waking up to the reality they may have looked the other way for too long. Some have to be regretting buying into the election lie and staying home at Trump's behest for the runoff which gave us two (D) Senators.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Trump losing steam? [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
Trump doesn't have any real policies other than telling people he'll return the country to the economy of his first term.

You missed the biggest one: Brown people bad!

In 2018 I was working with an Iranian girl. She couldn't visit her family and was scared to leave the northeast.
Quote Reply

Prev Next