Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
They ever figure out who the stabber was or why he was doing it? Seems like a crazed lunatic just going apeshit. Was he after a certain person, just random people, be curious to know what they find out.

His identity has been released. He was essentially a transient with a long history of serious mental illness. I've not seen any mention of motive.

I tip my hat to the officer who engaged the suspect and killed him. Job very well done. It might be simple but it ain't easy - tough shot with a handgun and a 9mm rarely puts a suspect down immediately.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

Remember when wearing a mask was, "living in fear"? I can't imagine living with the level of paranoia that would require being secretly armed to protect myself from strangers.

But you do have sufficient fear to feel it necessary to take away guns from everyone, including law abiding citizens, in order to feel safer around strangers?

It seems like both fears are related to the same root, but with different action plans to improve the feeling of safety.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Thom wrote:

Remember when wearing a mask was, "living in fear"? I can't imagine living with the level of paranoia that would require being secretly armed to protect myself from strangers.

But you do have sufficient fear to feel it necessary to take away guns from everyone, including law abiding citizens, in order to feel safer around strangers?

It seems like both fears are related to the same root, but with different action plans to improve the feeling of safety.

Did I say that?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Thom wrote:

That’s a dumb argument. If more guns in a society makes it a less safe society, then sure, to feel more safe then we need less guns overall.

Yes, both fears are related to the same root: more guns in a society make everyone more unsafe. Statistics show this to be true. America shows this to be true.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
307trout wrote:
Thom wrote:

That’s a dumb argument. If more guns in a society makes it a less safe society, then sure, to feel more safe then we need less guns overall.

Yes, both fears are related to the same root: more guns in a society make everyone more unsafe. Statistics show this to be true. America shows this to be true.

Any recommendations on how to reduce the number of guns in America?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
307trout wrote:
Thom wrote:

Sadly with the political structure we have, that’s never going to happen. It’s happened in other countries though, with notably positive effects.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the broader point is, that irrespective of whether one should own arms, carry openly or concealed in the US, few other societies are willing to accept the social costs for accomodating a minority (less than 50%) that want or live in house holds with guns.

Incidents like Sydney, London bridge, 7/7 are tragic be the causes mental health related or terrorism but the reality is that they are extremely rare and have a significantly lower impact than those in the US where firearms are readily available and making guns more readily available would simply turn these other societies in to a version of the US that no majority had expressed an interest in wanting.

The idea that having armed staff be they police or educator's in schools to prevent incidents that are usually mental health related is just nuts - what's it say about a society that the health and social system is so broken that you need people with guns just in case
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
307trout wrote:
Thom wrote:

sounds difficult. better to not try, and to just keep stacking up dead students like cord wood.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These events are relatively rare down here. We had the workplace shooting in Auckland. Guy walked onto his job site (new Deloitte building) and shot two coworkers. It made international news. Meanwhile there are several shootings a day in every USA metropolitan aera that don't even get to their local news.

I walked right through that shooting at Britomart. Was walking to catch a bus to work. Saw three ambulances racing down Queen St. Weird? Got on my bus and as we were leaving saw armed police presence. Police don't usually carry guns here.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In December 2023, there were over 1.7M firearms purchased in the US.

This marks 53 consecutive months that firearm sales were over 1M units.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A more scary fact is the ammo shortage. Who TF is hoarding that much ammo? It isn't all being fired at a range on weekends, surely?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

yep. trying to do anything about it would be really hard. all the deaths are worth it. keep doing what you're doing.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

in your opinion, is that good, bad, or indifferent?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

1.7M firearms sold in December 2023 is really good.

Almost 1.2M firearms were sold in January 2024, which is a bit disappointing.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
A more scary fact is the ammo shortage. Who TF is hoarding that much ammo? It isn't all being fired at a range on weekends, surely?

Pretty sure it's different reasons at different times. But generally classic supply and demand stuff.

Currently meant to be supply chain issues.

Covid era saw a spike in demand as more Americans became gun owners, paired with global supply chain constraints.

Then it's anecdotal, not data, but behavior of Joe Public at gun shows anytime a Democratic president is elected (especially if that president is black), suggests that those spikes in ammo demand have some fearmongering attached to them. I recall gun shows being sold out of ammo by mid-morning on day 1.

Eliot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
renorider wrote:

1.7M firearms sold in December 2023 is really good.

Almost 1.2M firearms were sold in January 2024, which is a bit disappointing.

Christmas rush, amirite?!

When you say "good" and "disappointing," is that from the standpoint of firearm manufacturer balance sheets, 2A absolutists, the safety of the general public, or all of the above?

Eliot
Quote Reply
Re: Mass stabbing in Sydney shopping mall [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Pretty sure it's different reasons at different times. But generally classic supply and demand stuff.

Currently meant to be supply chain issues.

Covid era saw a spike in demand as more Americans became gun owners, paired with global supply chain constraints.

Then it's anecdotal, not data, but behavior of Joe Public at gun shows anytime a Democratic president is elected (especially if that president is black), suggests that those spikes in ammo demand have some fearmongering attached to them. I recall gun shows being sold out of ammo by mid-morning on day 1.

It's probably a bit of all of the above.

High accuracy 22LR has been hard to find for years! And that's not stuff with high demand - not many people want to spent $20+ for a box of 50 22LR when the basic stuff is $25 for 333 rounds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next