Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there anything like Club la Santa in the USA ?
Quote | Reply
Is there anything like a Club la Santa in the USA https://www.clublasanta.com/
Was thinking of a pre kona camp for a month (sept) , but don’t want to fly to Europe from Australia then back to kona
Last edited by: ironpo: Apr 15, 24 2:46
Quote Reply
Re: Club la Santa in the USA ? [ironpo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironpo wrote:
Was thinking of a pre kona camp for a month (sept) , but don’t want to fly to Europe from Australia then back to kona

Slowman and Monty had a triathlon facilty somewhere in California, but I don't know if it's still running
Xantusia - Slowtwitch.com
Quote Reply
Re: Club la Santa in the USA ? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surely there must be something like this in the mighty USA
Quote Reply
Re: Club la Santa in the USA ? [ironpo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure someone else knows more, but I've seen this place yet referenced a few times.

It's not exactly a resort though.
https://usantc.com/training/triathlon/

You raise an interesting product idea. All inclusive training resorts. I think universities would be best situated to capitalize on this. Especially with (alleged?) declining attendance. Universities have tracks, pools, fitness centers, cafeterias, etc.

There has to be some that are looking for ways to generate more revenue in an age of rising costs.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like Club la Santa in the USA ? [ironpo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you just sign up and go to the OTC or does it have to be through one of the national sports groups?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thailand seems to have a few places.

https://www.thanyapura.com/resorts/phuket/sports/triathlon/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its not exactly like Club La Santa but what I am doing now is close: renting a VRBO for a month in Phoenix near the North Scottsdale Lifetime Fitness. I am walking distance to the pool, gym, full range of cardio equipment and classes, decent routes to ride and run, Whole Foods next door when I am in a pinch or really hungry (but cheaper options for sure via Instacart or doordash or driving to Fry's). No track in walking distance but certainly close driving distance. Also decently flat low traffic routes that are as good as a track or better. You could even do a two hour road trip down to Tucson if you wanted. I know its not the same, but its close I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't the shorter route from the Canaries to Kona be via the US, rather than returning to Aus?

Alternatively, you could just set yourself up for a fraction of the cost in California/Colorado/Utah away from the large cities. All you need is some open water, quiet roads for cycling, trails for running/hiking and the occasion local tri or short trail ultra.

Eat, train, explore the outdoors, repeat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70% of the positive side of being in La Santa is to being able to ride on that island. Even better if you go to Las Playitas in Fuerteventura.
I wonder if, somewhere in the USA, you can ride with the same road quality, sharing the road with drivers who have the same respect of cyclists.
I have been riding in USA a lot, west coast, east coast, Utah, New Mexico and i never felt safe. Several times I have been assaulted by crazy drivers who tried to intentionally scare me.
It never happened to me anywhere else in the world.

back to your post: i am afraid NO because it is not only about infrastructures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Idk if you can stay at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. That's worth looking into. I know USAT does some training camps there & in Chula Vista. Unsure if you can only do it through USAT for ridiculous money. The last poster nailed it. We're so dependent on cars in the US. You really have to get to someplace remote to train safely. Our cities are designed for cars to whip through as fast as possible -- not for pedestrians & cyclists. I went to Finland for 70.3 Worlds and noticed immediately how different Helsinki is from American cities. It was impossible to drive fast from the airport to downtown. Stop signs and lights everywhere. Speed limit signs everywhere. Signs flashing how fast you are going everywhere. And more people walking/biking than cars. We also stayed at the pajulahti olympic training center for the 2nd half of our stay & it was amazing. Will be similar to what was mentioned above if it's even possible to book stays. The US has some hotspots at altitude that elite athletes go & train at -- Flagstaff + Boulder mainly. Could rent a place in either and get into some decent swim/bike/run. You're just not going to find a resort aimed at true fitness. It's not part of this culture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironpo wrote:
You could just come visit the Sunny Coast. This is my training center in Coolum,a mere 250meters from home. (My place is just out of shot on the top right)
If you must have a sports resort feel there is no need to travel too far,you can just go to Phuket.
Thanyapura Phuket - Sport & Health Resort Phuket

Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like Club la Santa in the USA ? [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
70% of the positive side of being in La Santa is to being able to ride on that island. Even better if you go to Las Playitas in Fuerteventura.
I wonder if, somewhere in the USA, you can ride with the same road quality, sharing the road with drivers who have the same respect of cyclists.
I have been riding in USA a lot, west coast, east coast, Utah, New Mexico and i never felt safe. Several times I have been assaulted by crazy drivers who tried to intentionally scare me.
It never happened to me anywhere else in the world.

back to your post: i am afraid NO because it is not only about infrastructures.

Northern california (Bay Area near SF) riding is world-class awesome. The trail and road running is also awesome.

More limiting OWS, but with research you can find town pools that you can use, or do OWS at a few select sites.

If you stick to the internet-famous bike routes, and preferentially ride in mornings where the car traffic is even less, it's great riding.

A drawback is that staying here is $$$$.

To put in somewhat comparison, I did a bike camp in Tucson in spring last year, and the entire week I was there, when everyone else and the coach was marveling at the amazing 'winter' cycling in Tucson, I was thinking to the whole time, this is just boring desert highways with brown and more brown, compared to the huge diversity of riding you'll get in Norcal - year-round.
Last edited by: lightheir: Apr 20, 24 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my second year staying in St. George for March and April. I drive down from Calgary, so have my own car, swim with the Masters at Utah Tech(beautiful facility, great coaching) great safe cycling. I ride Snow Canyon a number of times/week, and have found a bike path to run on, also a local high school track that I go to early to get a workout in before it is off limits. The weather is fantastic. Great prep for Oceanside, a 6 hour drive and then the race here in St. George, before I drive back home. I am staying in a home with a family and paying $50/night. They are selling, so I am looking around for options for next year. Most rentals are probably around the $200-300/night range, which doesn't make sense for a 2 month stay. If there are any St. George residents on here that would be interested in renting out a room with kitchen access, laundry and wifi, let me know. I love this place. It is still snowing at home! Forgot to add that I have connected with a solid chiro, and an experienced massage therapist. There is also a high end bike shop 5 minutes away that is owned by a former pro triathlete. So all bases are covered.
Last edited by: irondave: Apr 20, 24 18:29
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like Club la Santa in the USA ? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
ironpo wrote:

You could just come visit the Sunny Coast. This is my training center in Coolum,a mere 250meters from home. (My place is just out of shot on the top right)
If you must have a sports resort feel there is no need to travel too far,you can just go to Phuket.
Thanyapura Phuket - Sport & Health Resort Phuket
Haha
If I was gunna go to SC the would just swim at nooooosa main beach
No use going to Noosa aquatic, as way tooo busy

Problem is riding on SC , as with everywhere else in Oz it’s super dangerous, probably more so
Also have to bring my banjo if I’m going anywhere west of cooroy lol
Pure deliverance country out there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironpo wrote:

I want to say there is nothing like that in the US unless you are an Olympic athlete with a federation that has beds at CVEATC.

AZ has Civana, but it has no lap pool.

Tucson area has Miraval, but it's bougie. https://maps.app.goo.gl/anJBFQpw8hqZGsXx9

Any place like that in the US will be extroardinarilly expensive. Probably way more expensive than La Santa...even though La Santa is 13k for three weeks for two in an apartment.

Europe tends to have quite a few of these that seem accessible, at least to me. There's one in the UAE?

Maybe if you did a villa at Disney and trained at the Wide World of Sports?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply