Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal?
Quote | Reply
The other day, my brother reminded me that when we were growing up in the 70's/80's, the nearby Tower's Department Store had caged monkeys for sale. This was Burlington, a suburb about 80k from Toronto. The Tower's store was like any ordinary Kmart in its day.

I don't have a strong memory of it, and it doesn't seem believable, but a few others from the area and era, plus a few independent internet finds, confirm "yes, monkeys at Tower's."

Was this a thing anywhere else, at that time?
Quote Reply
Re: Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
The other day, my brother reminded me that when we were growing up in the 70's/80's, the nearby Tower's Department Store had caged monkeys for sale. This was Burlington, a suburb about 80k from Toronto. The Tower's store was like any ordinary Kmart in its day.

I don't have a strong memory of it, and it doesn't seem believable, but a few others from the area and era, plus a few independent internet finds, confirm "yes, monkeys at Tower's."

Was this a thing anywhere else, at that time?

When I was a sophomore in college one of my roommates had a strong desire to get a pet monkey. He thought it would be cool to dress him up in a shirt and shorts and walk around campus with him. Felt it would help him with girls. We called all around to pet stores, shelters etc and no monkeys to be found. We finally called the zoo and asked if they knew where we could get a pet monkey and got chewed out for about ten minutes about how we didn't need one and couldn't care for it. They were right.

We instead got a dog that a lady had thrown out on the street as a puppy ( white trash lady) and we kept it for two years. When me and roommates went our separate ways, I got the dog and had it through graduate school, marriage, first job and first two of many kids. Best dog ever. Glad we didn't' get a monkey.

Would be shocked to learn they ever sold Monkeys in a department store, but you know, Canada....home of Blep and all.
Quote Reply
Re: Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in the 80s although not in Burlington. I am certain I went to Towers numerous times. I have no memory of monkeys for sale.

You sure they weren’t sea monkeys?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were they as expensive as, say, a llama or an emu?

Quote Reply
Re: Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... or a green dress. But not a REAL green dress! That's cruel!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the late 90s, I actually owned a monkey. A macaque to be specific. Amazing animals but terrible pets for the average bloke. They're way to intelligent and need more attention than a dog or cat. Maybe as much attention as a toddler to keep their brains active but with different activities. I was not a good monkey owner. I kept him safe and was able to train him in some stuffs. But I had a day job and the poor thing had to be crated during times when I wasn't around or sleeping. That meant this beautiful creature spent a lot more time crated than he did doing monkey business.

I got it from a friend whose wife got pregnant and became aggressive towards the soon-to-be mom. He got it from a friend whose girlfriend got pregnant and became aggressive towards the mom. This guy was the original owner but I have no idea where he got it from. Everyone agreed that I was in no danger of getting a girl pregnant and was an ideal candidate at the time. We eventually re-homed the monkey to a retired lady.

(This story continues but ends tragically. LMK if I should post the horrific details.)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, no cliff hangers allowed on that tale.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:

When I was a sophomore in college one of my roommates had a strong desire to get a pet monkey.

Quote Reply
Re: Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal? [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1st- much to SDG's friend's lament, the monkey did nothing to bolster my standing with the ladies. In fact, quite the opposite. Ya know, with the fang-looking teeth and abundant monkey smell emanating from a crate where the creature excretes. Most womens introduced were intimidated or completely turned off.

2nd- there was a system to take the monkey out of his crate. It involved a tail grab and adding a diaper so that when (not if) the monkey pooped at will, it would be collected. And some other rules to keep the monkey safe from his own curiosity (like baby-proofing your house, but in monkey form).

Well, old retired lady loved the monkey. Her husband did not. So she wasn't allowed to take the monkey out of the crate when the husband was around, which was always. The monkey was crated for the better part of a year and a half without getting out. One weekend, the husband went away. Finally, thought the woman, I can play with the monkey. So she let him out. But, because it had been so long for both, she did everything wrong. When she tried to get the monkey back into the crate to start over, well, you can imagine that he wasn't interested. They argued which eventually turned into a fight which resulted in hundreds of stitches for the woman. You can draw logical conclusions what animal control did next.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't know about department stores, but apparently you could buy squirrel monkeys from ads in the back of comic books, that would be mailed via the postal service.

When Comic Books Sold Live Monkeys | Mental Floss

When i was growing up, one of my neighbors had a squirrel monkey in a cage in their house (1974ish). Unusual, because they didn't have any other pets, and this was an urban apartment building. I don't remember if it smelled, because i only saw it once, but the cage was relatively small -- like a large bird cage. The monkey seemed pissed off to be living in a cage, and was probably a terrible pet. No clue where they bought the monkey.
Quote Reply
Re: Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
1st- much to SDG's friend's lament, the monkey did nothing to bolster my standing with the ladies. In fact, quite the opposite. Ya know, with the fang-looking teeth and abundant monkey smell emanating from a crate where the creature excretes. Most womens introduced were intimidated or completely turned off.

Did you ever use the line "Would you like to come home and play with macaque?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

2nd- there was a system to take the monkey out of his crate. It involved a tail grab and adding a diaper so that when (not if) the monkey pooped at will, it would be collected. And some other rules to keep the monkey safe from his own curiosity (like baby-proofing your house, but in monkey form).

Well, old retired lady loved the monkey. Her husband did not. So she wasn't allowed to take the monkey out of the crate when the husband was around, which was always. The monkey was crated for the better part of a year and a half without getting out. One weekend, the husband went away. Finally, thought the woman, I can play with the monkey. So she let him out. But, because it had been so long for both, she did everything wrong. When she tried to get the monkey back into the crate to start over, well, you can imagine that he wasn't interested. They argued which eventually turned into a fight which resulted in hundreds of stitches for the woman. You can draw logical conclusions what animal control did next.

When you said "they argued" I had a good laugh. Picturing an old lady arguing with a monkey jumping up and down and most likely flinging poo.

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer fought with a monkey at the zoo. "The poor monkey"
Quote Reply
Re: Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.mylondon.news/...#amp-readmore-target

Provincial Canada once again going the half assed cheap route when compared to their home country.
Quote Reply
Re: Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

+5 points. I got a great chuckle out of this.

In all seriousness though, when Tri-banter left the cliff hanger on the story my first thought was "I bet the monkey killed the old lady".

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google Fu seems to suggest this was a thing but it seems to have been pretty spotty. I saw Woolworth's stores mentioned a number of times. I remember as kid in the one we had in town they always had the animal section. I got bit by a hamster in there and had to get a tetanus shot once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

LMAO. I'm still chuckling at that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spielberg's mom brought a monkey home one day --- true story

He even included it in The Fablemans

I have a monkey-themed playlist

https://open.spotify.com/...mp;pi=u-ft4WxUZhRDyn

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal? [Rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick_pcfl wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:

LMAO. I'm still chuckling at that one.

Agreed, has to be one of the top one line response of all time.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Department store selling monkeys, Canada suburb, circa 1980. Normal? [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

To be fair, it's an Ape, not a Monkey

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in the US in 80s. I do remember occasionally seeing them in pet stores at times.

Quote Reply