Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
Thanks for all of the awesome advice and ideas.

If the trip goes well we plan to park up the RV over the US winter and return the following year to do Canada and Alaska. Perhaps parts of South America the following year.

We bought a "America is Beautiful" National Park pass.

As a shake down trip we spent a few days in San Diego and went to the zoo. We have just spent three nights in the amazing Yosemite national park. We are heading to Lake Tahoe today.

As a rough guide we are going to follow this route.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/...ltimate-us-road-trip
As we get to each state we are going to work out what we want to see and plan a route through the state.
We are going to do it in the reverse direction to try and make to most of the warmer summer weather in the north and try and avoid busy national parks over the peak summer holidays. The southern states we will do as the weather gets colder.
Once thanks for all of the advice and ideas. I will include them in our trip.

Avoiding Chicago? Hmmm

After all of your posts describing Chicago as the gang murder capital of the USA I wouldn't want to miss it. 😀

Just avoid certain neighborhoods and you'll be fine, kinda like avoid certain snakes in Australia in the top 5 most venomous list and you won't die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
sonofdad wrote:
I looked at his trip map and had the question of what town in central Kentucky is he visiting and why?

Bardstown. Bourbon Trail.
Could be Bowling Green for the Corvette museum.

We are following the route just to get a rough order of states. Then when we get to each state we make a list of where we want to go and plan a route.

Here is our Oregon route.
Lava Beds National Monument
Crater Lake National Park
Oregon Caves
Boardman State Scenic Corridor
Oregon Coast Trail
Portland
Columbia Ri ER Gorge
Mt Hood

See if you can get into Silver Falls State Park (about 1.5 hours south of Portland). Great waterfall hikes. Swing by McMinnville to see the "Spruce Goose" (also an indoor waterpark, btw). Mt Hood is a mountain, special to Portlander's but otherwise nothing remarkable about it. But not far away is Mount Saint Helens, which I find more interesting. Mount Rainier is also better to visit than Mount Hood. I'd avoid the whole area in the late summer wildfire season as road closures become unpredictable and views at e.g. Crater Lake are likely to be smoked out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go along the coast, Newport OR is good town that has lots of highlights.

Aquarium, Yaquina Head Lighthouse (can see whales from the beach), Rogue Brewery (their home base) and Public House

South Beach State Park is full service for campers, has nice showers/amenities, and backs right up to the beach, access via short trial hike. Even in peak summer you can have an acre of beach space to yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
My wife already jumps whenever she hears something, she is convinced it is a bear or rattle snake.

She’s smart because it IS a bear AND a rattlesnake! Like a bear-rattlesnake duo!

My girlfriend saw a rattlesnake on a trail a few weeks ago, so they are out of their wintertime homes. And there are lots of bears everywhere. Mostly in the mountains, but you can’t be too careful.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
My wife already jumps whenever she hears something, she is convinced it is a bear or rattle snake.

She’s smart because it IS a bear AND a rattlesnake! Like a bear-rattlesnake duo!

My girlfriend saw a rattlesnake on a trail a few weeks ago, so they are out of their wintertime homes. And there are lots of bears everywhere. Mostly in the mountains, but you can’t be too careful.

We saw a small rattlesnake when we walked up to the Hollywood sign.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:

If the trip goes well we plan to park up the RV over the US winter and return the following year to do Canada and Alaska. Perhaps parts of South America the following year.

As a shake down trip we spent a few days in San Diego and went to the zoo. We have just spent three nights in the amazing Yosemite national park. We are heading to Lake Tahoe today.

As we get to each state we are going to work out what we want to see and plan a route through the state.
We are going to do it in the reverse direction to try and make to most of the warmer summer weather in the north and try and avoid busy national parks over the peak summer holidays. The southern states we will do as the weather gets colder.

Looks like a goal is to hit every state. Is there a reason to turn up into Detroit? I mean is there something there of interest? If its just to get into Michigan, Another option, would be when your in Wisconsin, head up to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, just over the boarder in Iron Mt. is the Pine Mt, ski jump. a pretty impressive thing to see, and climb, porcupine Mt park is pretty scenic also. Google both. If you head up to Detroit, with no real plan's I would suggest a day or even 2 if you can, at the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. Give you a great history lesson of America and lots of cool things to see.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
I looked at his trip map and had the question of what town in central Kentucky is he visiting and why?

Bardstown. Bourbon Trail.
Could be Bowling Green for the Corvette museum.

For those wondering, from the article, the map was made at shortage trip to hit all of these points. The creator of the map has another article somewhere that explains his choices of these things.. Not really sure like why the Fox theatre in Detroit (map creator was from Lansing, so Maybe it was just something they had not done in Detroit, not sure.

1. Grand Canyon, Arizona
  2. Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah
  3. Craters of the Moon, Idaho
  4. Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
  5. Pikes Peak, Colorado
  6. Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico
  7. The Alamo, Texas
  8. The Platt Historic District, Oklahoma
  9. Toltec Mounds, Arkansas
  10. Elvis Presley’s Graceland, Tennessee
  11. Vicksburg National Military Park, Mississippi
  12. French Quarter, Louisiana
  13. USS Alabama, Alabama
  14. Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida
  15. Okefenokee Swamp Park, Georgia
  16. Fort Sumter National Monument, South Carolina
  17. Lost World Caverns, West Virginia
  18. Wright Brothers National Memorial Visitor Center, North Carolina
  19. Mount Vernon, Virginia
  20. White House, Washington, D.C.
  21. Colonial Annapolis Historic District, Maryland
  22. New Castle Historic District, Delaware
  23. Cape May Historic District, New Jersey
  24. Liberty Bell, Pennsylvania
  25. Statue of Liberty, New York
  26. The Mark Twain House & Museum, Connecticut
  27. The Breakers, Rhode Island
  28. USS Constitution, Massachusetts
  29. Acadia National Park, Maine
  30. Mount Washington Hotel, New Hampshire
  31. Shelburne Farms, Vermont
  32. Fox Theater, Michigan
  33. Spring Grove Cemetery, Ohio
  34. Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky
  35. West Baden Springs Hotel, Indiana
  36. Abraham Lincoln’s Home, Illinois
  37. Gateway Arch, Missouri
  38. C. W. Parker Carousel Museum, Kansas
  39. Terrace Hill Governor’s Mansion, Iowa
  40. Taliesin, Wisconcin
  41. Fort Snelling, Minnesota
  42. Ashfall Fossil Bed, Nebraska
  43. Mount Rushmore, South Dakota
  44. Fort Union Trading Post, North Dakota
  45. Glacier National Park, Montana
  46. Hanford Site, Washington
  47. Columbia River Highway, Oregon
  48. San Francisco Cable Cars, California
  49. San Andreas Fault, California
  50. Hoover Dam, Nevada

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Avoiding Chicago? Hmmm

After all of your posts describing Chicago as the gang murder capital of the USA I wouldn't want to miss it. 😀

Just avoid certain neighborhoods and you'll be fine, kinda like avoid certain snakes in Australia in the top 5 most venomous list and you won't die.

Yes and no.

Certainly the best way to avoid snakebite in Australia is simply to leave snakes alone. Two recent and avoidable deaths in Queensland have been the result of men, untrained in the handling of venomous snakes, attempting to remove Eastern Brown Snakes from the grounds of a school and a childcare centre.

Although Australia is blessed with over 30 dangerously venomous snake species, (including some found in the suburbs of all our capital cities), plus another 12 potentially dangerous species, and over 30 species of dangerously venomous seasnake inhabiting our tropical waters, death from snakebite is an exceedingly rare occurrence. Among a population of 26.5 million, we average about 2 deaths per year.

That's the equivalent of one gun death in Chicago every 5 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
windywave wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Avoiding Chicago? Hmmm

Yes and no.

Certainly the best way to avoid snakebite in Australia is simply to leave snakes alone. Two recent and avoidable deaths in Queensland have been the result of men, untrained in the handling of venomous snakes, attempting to remove Eastern Brown Snakes from the grounds of a school and a childcare centre.

Although Australia is blessed with over 30 dangerously venomous snake species, (including some found in the suburbs of all our capital cities), plus another 12 potentially dangerous species, and over 30 species of dangerously venomous seasnake inhabiting our tropical waters, death from snakebite is an exceedingly rare occurrence. Among a population of 26.5 million, we average about 2 deaths per year.

Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
satanellus wrote:
windywave wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Avoiding Chicago? Hmmm

Yes and no.

Pretty simple really.

a) I like snakes generally, and particularly the remarkable diversity we have in Australia.

b) They are relatively benign creatures, but surrounded by misconceptions and misinformation. I enjoy addressing those fears and prejudices.

c) The concept of foreigners, especially Americans, viewing Australia and its wildlife as inordinately dangerous is amusing.

d) A serious reply need not preclude having fun while being informative. Not for me, anyway.

e) As for you, I don't give a shit if you find my responses tedious. 😉
Last edited by: satanellus: Apr 20, 24 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Lots of great options and routes. And if currently in LA...

Arizona and Utah are gorgeous, with lot of nice options for RV parks (I have been to a few). I would plan that as the start of your route as this is the ideal time to hit them. They will be blazing by mid June. Can then make your way to Las Vegas for the heck of it if so inclined. I actually just stayed at a nice RV park there.

From there, you might want consider trecking north. Yellowstone in late May before school gets out. Glacier in Montana is a can't miss epic national park. Best wildlife you will see, as less crowded and even more remote than Yellowstone. Amazing hiking trails. Coeur d'Alene Idaho is wacky politics, but gorgeous country. And just north of that in Mullan Idaho is the Scenic Hiawatha Bike Trail. It is a 15 mile abandoned railroad trail that you bike through 9 tunnels and over 7 high trestles. You can slow climb ride up, or they bus you up, and then you just roll the way down. They will rent bikes to you.

Then decide if you want to head to Washington, Olympic National Park, and then down the Oregon Coast. Or, make your way east, and can travel a northern route. Badlands South Dakota, toward Minneapolis, St. Paul which is gorgeous in summer. Travel down toward Chicago and then park in front of Windy's house for a week (shitter's full). However you decide to map it, I would shoot to spend Autumn working your way through New England. Absolute best place to see the leaves change.

I will look to send you links to the RV parks that I have stayed at with my camper. I have been impressed with how nice most of them are. By and large, folks are great. Most keep themselves as it is their vacation. But also plenty of community. "Hey, you need a can opener?? I have three!" "Come on, we need a 4th for Cornhole"

Be aware a lot of Yellowstone and glacier can be closed until late may/early June depending on snow. I visited glacier in early June once and going to the sun road was still closed but Yellowstone was all open.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
That route looks good, but I can’t tell if you will travel on I-15 between Yellowstone and Zion? Take highway 191 instead. Highway 191 parallels 1-15 on the other side of a mountain range when you do the North-South trip between Montana and Utah. Highway 191 is not interstate highway system driving, but it’s more beautiful.

If you want to see cool sights along your trip, the atlas obscura book has good ideas.
Excellent tip re: US191. Stop in Bozeman for the cuisine of your choosing.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
WannaB wrote:
Lots of great options and routes. And if currently in LA...

Arizona and Utah are gorgeous, with lot of nice options for RV parks (I have been to a few). I would plan that as the start of your route as this is the ideal time to hit them. They will be blazing by mid June. Can then make your way to Las Vegas for the heck of it if so inclined. I actually just stayed at a nice RV park there.

From there, you might want consider trecking north. Yellowstone in late May before school gets out. Glacier in Montana is a can't miss epic national park. Best wildlife you will see, as less crowded and even more remote than Yellowstone. Amazing hiking trails. Coeur d'Alene Idaho is wacky politics, but gorgeous country. And just north of that in Mullan Idaho is the Scenic Hiawatha Bike Trail. It is a 15 mile abandoned railroad trail that you bike through 9 tunnels and over 7 high trestles. You can slow climb ride up, or they bus you up, and then you just roll the way down. They will rent bikes to you.

Then decide if you want to head to Washington, Olympic National Park, and then down the Oregon Coast. Or, make your way east, and can travel a northern route. Badlands South Dakota, toward Minneapolis, St. Paul which is gorgeous in summer. Travel down toward Chicago and then park in front of Windy's house for a week (shitter's full). However you decide to map it, I would shoot to spend Autumn working your way through New England. Absolute best place to see the leaves change.

I will look to send you links to the RV parks that I have stayed at with my camper. I have been impressed with how nice most of them are. By and large, folks are great. Most keep themselves as it is their vacation. But also plenty of community. "Hey, you need a can opener?? I have three!" "Come on, we need a 4th for Cornhole"

Be aware a lot of Yellowstone and glacier can be closed until late may/early June depending on snow. I visited glacier in early June once and going to the sun road was still closed but Yellowstone was all open.

I will keep that in mind. Parts of Yosemite were closed when we were there. Many of the NP camp grounds have not opened yet.

As an Aussie it never occurred to me that snow would keep areas closed until late spring.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Looks like a goal is to hit every state. Is there a reason to turn up into Detroit? I mean is there something there of interest? If its just to get into Michigan, Another option, would be when your in Wisconsin, head up to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, just over the boarder in Iron Mt. is the Pine Mt, ski jump. a pretty impressive thing to see, and climb, porcupine Mt park is pretty scenic also. Google both. If you head up to Detroit, with no real plan's I would suggest a day or even 2 if you can, at the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. Give you a great history lesson of America and lots of cool things to see.

While it would be nice to hit each state it is not a must. It will depend if there is anything that we are interested in. I will keep your suggestions in mind when we get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you have a lot of advice on places, but not much on rv stuff. Get a membership on roadtrippers.com. use their GPS routing. You enter your vehicle size and if you have on board propane, and it will route you so you wont take the roof of your vehicle off. There are some common roads where propane is forbidden. Harvest hosts is a good membership if you are dry camping.
Roadtrippers also has a good list of repair centers, and stuff WILL break. Make sure you have good composting additives for your blank tank, or they will clog. Use rv approved tp.
If you are dry camping, remember 100 gallons of water will affect your handling and mileage. Also roadtrippers can find nearby dump stations. Some will be free, others may charge.
Take a good look at state parks. You can see beautiful cliff ruins at hovenweep without the crowds of Mesa verde for example. Dead horse canyon outside of canyon lands, goblin state park, kodachrome south of Bryce all offer spectacular stuff without the cost and crowds. If you are planning east, check the timing for fall colors. There are leaf peeping sites to help.
Other than that, take your time. Spend a few days in each location.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to hyjack the thread. But how does one deal with the crowded Rv sites? I know boondocking is an option but it appears that many of the state or national campgrounds are booked out way in advance. Is it possible to find places to put a class C or west you’re not make plans months in advance?

I pick up my class c tomorrow in Florida and plan to do the same as the OP.
Last edited by: Castaway: Apr 21, 24 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [Castaway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short story is no. I pull a 26' trailer, some vacation. Some hauling stuff to my wife's art shows. We start booking in January. We have a lot of flexibility with a trailer that we can pick a site 20 or 30 miles from where we want to be and easily drive in with the tow pig. There are short notice booking sites like site2night that can be useful. Harvest hosts is good for semi boondocking. If you are boondocking there is some extra planning involved. Where do you get your fresh water? Dump sites? A lot of places are getting hostile to generators. You may want to consider solar like jackery, because who wants to go to a quiet dark sky site and listen to a noisy generator all night.
Just remember most parks will only let class c camping under 30 feet

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [Castaway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Castaway wrote:
Not to hyjack the thread. But how does one deal with the crowded Rv sites? I know boondocking is an option but it appears that many of the state or national campgrounds are booked out way in advance. Is it possible to find places to put a class C or west you’re not make plans months in advance?

I pick up my class c tomorrow in Florida and plan to do the same as the OP.

Private campgrounds. Also caravan's with your manufacturer, my parents found those fun, did one to Alaska, and the other was an outwest tour.

I never really talked to Dad about Site reservations, but they traveled around in an RV for a few years, and I never heard it discussed. Didnt seem like that much of an issue.

Just Triing
Quote Reply

Prev Next