Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Could you win The Masters
Quote | Reply
if you started on the green at the furthest point from the pin on every hole?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Could you win The Masters [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only played on greens that I considered fast once and my suspicion is that they were nowhere near as fast as Augusta.

It didn't go well.

So I will say... doubtful.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that I've probably played less than 5 games of miniature golf in my life and never any actual golf, I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My soon to be former sister-in-law worked at Pinehurst Country Club in the late 90s/early 2000s. We could play there for free every now and then. I lived in Cary then (about 70 miles north of Pinehurst) and used to play golf 3-4x per week. I was decent from a golf weekend warrior perspective. Could shoot in the mid to low 80s most anywhere I played.

I played Pinehurst #2 about two weeks after the 1999 US Open was there. So it was more or less still in US Open difficult conditions. Wow! I think I shot 110 or something. The greens at Pinehurst #2 are notoriously hard as they’re shaped like upside down saucers but in near US Open like conditions they were impossible to deal with. It was like putting or chipping onto a slanted tile floor.

Back to the question at hand… could I birdie 12 out of 72 holes to beat Scheffler? If I was at the height of my golf powers I’d say yes. Right now? No way.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 16, 24 4:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off the couch would be close. If you gave me a couple of days of practice rounds to see the greens, almost certainly. 2-putt albatross?! Fairly low handicapper so I’m starting with a better base than most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, my putting is a horror show.

Related kind of question.
How many teammates would the Slowtwitch scramble team need to win? I've never been anywhere near the actual course but played it more than a few times on simulator course built from lidar. There are some very tricky shots in there and a lot of elevation changes.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Like others, I've played at some of the top courses up and down the east coast. One was rolling close to what Augusta is like, but still slower. I think what many people miss is how hard it is to read a lightning fast green like that. At my best I was a 7 index.

No, I don't think I could win.
Last edited by: svennn: Apr 16, 24 5:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My boys and I played with a similar question this week.

If you started at 5 under par and only had to play 4 holes. Could you make the cut, which was at +6?

We decided we might be out at 3 holes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

I saw this question making the rounds on Instagram and really had to think about it.

On one hand, I putt quite well. On the other hand, I've played tournament golf and know how small that hole gets when you have 3 and 4 footers that really matter, especially on fast greens.

Based on winning scores over the last ten years, you would need to average under 3.83 per green.

Obviously a decent golfer would have plenty of three-putts, and some twos and fours. Can you adequately avoid fives, and can you avoid the catastrophe sixes and sevens?

There would certainly be a case that you putt right off the green. In some cases you could putt off the green, down a hill and water could come into play, as crazy as that sounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends.

Do I have to use gold clubs? No way.

Can I pick up the ball and count the number of strides I take to drop the ball in the hole as strokes? Maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: Could you win The Masters [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Based on winning scores over the last ten years, you would need to average under 3.83 per green.

That sounds easier than it would be, I'm sure. Rolling off the green and into trouble on one hole could undue your entire campaign.

But it does sound plausible.

Quote Reply
Re: Could you win The Masters [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be an interesting way to play a round at the local club, to see how you fare against the best player in your group

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.

But it depends against whom and if they follow the same rules :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all depends. Where did you put the pins?

If it was such that furthest point was always to the low side of the green so that the hole was always uphill then it would be doable, maybe. As others have said, any sidehill 3 or 4 footer slider is easily turned into still another 3-4 foot come back putt given the slipperyness of those greens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

I'm not even sure I'd win if we only counted by best 9 holes played as you described against a pro's full 18.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Could you win The Masters [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Off the couch would be close. If you gave me a couple of days of practice rounds to see the greens, almost certainly. 2-putt albatross?! Fairly low handicapper so I’m starting with a better base than most.

Assuming I can hire a local caddy who knows the greens and can tell me where to put, now its down to speed and control. With no practice, it would be tough, I mean your going to lose several holes just in getting the speed down. 2 days on the practice greens before hand and a Club Caddy who knows the greens. Yeah, I think its doable. The masters greens are not the most wicked.

Now you go some of the US open courses, on days they miss setup and its its like putting on a teflon pan coated in Nyoil, with hole sitting on a ridge that rolls off 20ft down and away.. yeah probably not. But I think at Augusta its doable. Just remember for the 1st put the hole is 3ft in diameter.

But it is an interesting question, and actually would make some interesting TV match. 2 pro's and 2 Duffers. pair the pro and duffer, so pro can help read green and away we go.

The par 3's become your hard holes, and hopefully you get some birdie/eagles on the par 5s.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Could you win The Masters [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:

Obviously a decent golfer would have plenty of three-putts, and some twos and fours. Can you adequately avoid fives, and can you avoid the catastrophe sixes and sevens?

There would certainly be a case that you putt right off the green. In some cases you could putt off the green, down a hill and water could come into play, as crazy as that sounds.

Funny you phrase it that way..

Okay, I am assuming the pin holes are the same as they are for the 4 rounds so, a variety of situations.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Yes, absolutely.

I'd bet the house on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Could you win The Masters [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Pins are where the pins are at the Masters. Take the 2024 pin placement, measure to the furthest distance on the green, place your ball.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

Pins are where the pins are at the Masters. Take the 2024 pin placement, measure to the furthest distance on the green, place your ball.

Now that makes a difference. Now are they thursday fast or are they sunday fast, because there was a remarkable difference. Are they morning fast or are they late afternoon baked hard bikini waxed fast?

Give me a once go around practice round for each day and I would be comfortable taking that bet, making more two putts than 4 putts with a few five and 6 putts thrown in to get an avg better than 3.83
Quote Reply