Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Interesting thought exercise on self determination and morality [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
ike wrote:
40-Tude wrote:
sphere wrote:
You could. But they have to treat their job like a job and be available to you. What they do after 5pm is their business.

You could pay them $1M annually, provide them whatever vehicles they choose, pay their mortgage, tuition for their children etc. Unlimited benefits could convey to them except freedom to choose the job or leave.

... and from the other pov as an employee. So, someone can pay me $1MM annually, I can be totally free outside core working hours of 9-5, but otherwise on call for a job which by the way has lifetime job security?

That's a better deal than what many working folks have today.

To me, a key part of the hypothetical is -- as I understand it -- that the person has no choice about being your employee. That was compelled. If the hypothetical instead is that the job is posted and people can freely apply for it, knowing that there is no freedom during the work day, then it's quite a different hypothetical.

In practical and pragmatic terms, isn't there a gray area anyway about voluntary vs. involuntary?

Being a lawyer or doctor due to family pressure...voluntary, involuntary? Drafted into military service, or going into it due to family tradition? A calling to the nunnery or priesthood? Inheriting and running the family business? . . . and on and on.

Folks figure out their own rationalizations of work/life balance, i.e. freedom vs non-freedom.

I have wrestled with free will vs determinism and the best I can say is that while various forces may influence your choice, you still have free will. I can see how the circumstances of my upbringing influenced me to become a lawyer in DC, but I felt like I had free will when choosing not to be a lawyer in Boston (another option) or to choose one DC law firm over another. Perhaps it was all an illusion. Still, it felt like my choice.

Even hard core determinists shouldn’t defend slavery. You may have been deterministically certain to become an enslaver, but it’s still wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting thought exercise on self determination and morality [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
ike wrote:
40-Tude wrote:
sphere wrote:
You could. But they have to treat their job like a job and be available to you. What they do after 5pm is their business.

You could pay them $1M annually, provide them whatever vehicles they choose, pay their mortgage, tuition for their children etc. Unlimited benefits could convey to them except freedom to choose the job or leave.

... and from the other pov as an employee. So, someone can pay me $1MM annually, I can be totally free outside core working hours of 9-5, but otherwise on call for a job which by the way has lifetime job security?

That's a better deal than what many working folks have today.

To me, a key part of the hypothetical is -- as I understand it -- that the person has no choice about being your employee. That was compelled. If the hypothetical instead is that the job is posted and people can freely apply for it, knowing that there is no freedom during the work day, then it's quite a different hypothetical.

In practical and pragmatic terms, isn't there a gray area anyway about voluntary vs. involuntary?

Being a lawyer or doctor due to family pressure...voluntary, involuntary? Drafted into military service, or going into it due to family tradition? A calling to the nunnery or priesthood? Inheriting and running the family business? . . . and on and on.

Folks figure out their own rationalizations of work/life balance, i.e. freedom vs non-freedom.

Well add, having math skills, or being athletic (or any other things). At some point we all learn our limits and pursue areas of work that we can do well at. But we don't have full freedom.

But I guess maybe its just my unique way of looking at things, Since we married, my wife and I have run a business, called my family. When she stopped a paying job to stay home, she in effect is my employee but her job has no descriptions, or set of requirements, we worked togeather on day to day things. My kids are also my employee's and for the most part free to do what they want. So why would this employee be different your getting paid $x a year, and do what ever you want. Basically, I am just paying you for nothing, but that's my choice.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting thought exercise on self determination and morality [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My wife took the meta view of everyone being beholden to an economic system in one way or another and accepting the proposition would increase the amount of prosperity in the world and in your immediate influence. She leans yes.

There may be a significant moral difference between one person accepting this scenario, and the scenario being the economic model for all people.

It sounds like your wife is assuming that, if everyone was in this position, they'd all or mostly do good things for their assigned worker. I don't think that is borne out by historical example. If we've seen anything, it's that people will take advantage of each other, treat their "slaves" as lesser than, scramble for as much personal gain as they can, etc.

So while you or your wife might pay the worker well and treat them well, for sure there would be a lot of people who didn't.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting thought exercise on self determination and morality [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Wife and I were watching Handmaid's Tale last night and for some reason this hypothetical popped into my mind.

You are presented with a choice at age 18. The choice is, you are gifted unimaginable wealth and can live your life any way you please, and you and your friends and family will never need to worry about money again. But this is conditional. You have to accept as a personal assistant someone pulled from poverty at age 18 who will be required to work for you until they reach retirement age. You can pay them any salary you'd like, provide any benefits you'd like to them and their family, provide the best working conditions imaginable, but they are obligated to you for 40h per week, every year from age 18 through 65 and they cannot leave the job. The candidate is selected randomly from an impoverished 3rd world region and in the hypothetical they will be capable and pleasant to work with. They will not have a say in whether they are assigned to you and once they are they are obligated to you for the next 47 years of life, and their day to day work life will be entirely determined by you.

Does the capacity to give someone who would otherwise likely die in poverty a lifestyle they could hardly imagine outweigh the moral offense of depriving them of their freedom of self determination in that one aspect (choice of employment, location, etc), and does the fact that you would personally benefit from doing so affect that answer?

My wife took the meta view of everyone being beholden to an economic system in one way or another and accepting the proposition would increase the amount of prosperity in the world and in your immediate influence. She leans yes. I remain on the fence.

Do you accept the proposition?

This is exactly the hypothetical we were offered, except the humble servant/slave is ourselves, we chose to be the servant. You are describing your life.
The question (of determinism) is: who are you . . . to whom or what was the offer made . . . and if free will . . . free from who or what?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting thought exercise on self determination and morality [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When she stopped a paying job to stay home, she in effect is my employee

Lol.

You should tell her that.

Please record it on your phone for us.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't really clearly describe the scenario with respect to the impoverished person. Do they have the ability to opt into this program, ahead of time, to possibly be selected, or are you abducting them against their will.

If the former, yes I accept this situation if they've opted into being selected and even ok with it if they change their mind later, they signed up for it willingly and will be held to it. If the latter, then it is the same as slavery and do not accept it. If you draft someone into this situation against their consent, then its a hard no from me...regardless if I could make a case for the greater good.

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting thought exercise on self determination and morality [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It sounds like your wife is assuming that, if everyone was in this position, they'd all or mostly do good things for their assigned worker.

She was only speaking for herself. I asked her what she would do in that instance. My wife grew up poor and has a deep sense of sympathy with hard working people. If you asked her which human trait she would erase from existence it would be entitlement.

Clearly not everyone would operate that way. I think it was DSW who raised the point of resentment. She also mentioned this and speculated that regardless of the benefits it might drive some people to homicide. I could see that as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Do you accept the proposition?

No, I do not.

The hypo seems to lean heavily on the idea that monetary & material comforts of the 'employee' could be taken care of by the 'employer' (for lack of better terms), and that that would somehow make the lack of self-determination ok.

That seems in turn seems indebted to the idea that monetary & material comforts are the best metric by which to assess societal wellbeing.

I don't agree with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting thought exercise on self determination and morality [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is the latter. I thought that was clear in the OP. They would not be a consenting party (though they may thank you for it later) and they would be obligated until retirement.

It is analogous in ways to a military draft which isn't uncommon throughout the world. You don't have a say in that, either, but in a military draft it may cost your life and with little compensation or benefit to your family.

I'm not sure which I would resent more, being drafted into a war or into wealth but with no true autonomy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the person involved get pulled out of poverty against their will or do they volunteer for this and then have to go with it.

It is also somewhat paternalistic to say that one would leave the person in poverty for "their own moral good". "See they are poor but I didn't impose" Both choices leave the power with the rich person.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It is the latter. I thought that was clear in the OP. They would not be a consenting party (though they may thank you for it later) and they would be obligated until retirement.

It is analogous in ways to a military draft which isn't uncommon throughout the world. You don't have a say in that, either, but in a military draft it may cost your life and with little compensation or benefit to your family.

I'm not sure which I would resent more, being drafted into a war or into wealth but with no true autonomy.

It is somewhat different from a draft, at least as that existed in the US.

1. You can avoid the draft. It may entail a heavy price -- such as leaving the country or maybe going to prison -- but you can avoid it. It's not like slavery.

2. The draft in a democratic nation, at least, is a product of decisions made by that society. Your parents, relatives, siblings, you (if old enough to vote) all have a say in whether the nation imposes a draft. Again, not like someone entirely outside your sphere of influence imposing slavery on you.

3. The draft is for the collective benefit. Whether that is sufficient compensation to the person being drafted is debatable, but it does have a valid collective purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

You are thinking along the same lines my wife teased out last night. We are, the vast majority of us, beholden to certain conditions that are or become for all practical purposes, involuntary, and they center around economic realities.

Ike is correct in that this was among the rationalizations for the institution of slavery, giving savages the opportunity for a (slightly) better life, as they saw it. But that was through the lens of the slaveholder and society that tolerated it. It robbed the slaves of agency, which is a fundamental human right. So the question ultimately is, under what conditions, if any, is it acceptable to deprive someone of that right.

I asked also if the fact that you benefit financially from accepting the proposition changes the moral calculation. If you could choose this destiny for someone else, where they would be assigned to this job without their consent but you could determine the terms of their compensation and benefits, with no limitations whatsoever, but you do not personally gain a penny from the experience, would you do it?

I still would. It's not about personal / monetary gain. Breaking even would be fine too.

IMO, the difference between your hypothetical and slavery, is that during slavery there was the view that slaves were "lesser" or "second class" etc.,. So it was acceptable to persist the inequity and mistreatment for generations. Whenever that view is held, you get oppression and bad juju. Apartheid, 3rd world oppression of the lower castes etc.

A see a big part of your hypothetical proposal is that the impoverished individual is not perpetually impoverished. In fact, the onus and incentive and right thing to do is to get them out of a dire situation. (more on the free will part later)*

This is more akin to real life situations where a impoverished family is given opportunities for self-improvement (e.g. nursing school tuition from a benefactor). Person busts their ass to succeed, and then has a noble obligation to return the favor to other family members. Not uncommon in the Philippines. And a version in India, where there's some reality show on this that my wife streams.

* The free-will angle is a mythical illusion and we can tell ourselves we have it, or not. It's a spectrum and you have to be ok where you are on it. My college kiddo complains about academic load and stress, and she's not free. I tell her to suck it up for now, she's living the great life. Or one can choose to take a job in DC vs. Boston. You're free to choose, but you still have to do the work. It's just degrees of free will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
sphere wrote:
Quote:

You are thinking along the same lines my wife teased out last night. We are, the vast majority of us, beholden to certain conditions that are or become for all practical purposes, involuntary, and they center around economic realities.

Ike is correct in that this was among the rationalizations for the institution of slavery, giving savages the opportunity for a (slightly) better life, as they saw it. But that was through the lens of the slaveholder and society that tolerated it. It robbed the slaves of agency, which is a fundamental human right. So the question ultimately is, under what conditions, if any, is it acceptable to deprive someone of that right.

I asked also if the fact that you benefit financially from accepting the proposition changes the moral calculation. If you could choose this destiny for someone else, where they would be assigned to this job without their consent but you could determine the terms of their compensation and benefits, with no limitations whatsoever, but you do not personally gain a penny from the experience, would you do it?

I still would. It's not about personal / monetary gain. Breaking even would be fine too.

IMO, the difference between your hypothetical and slavery, is that during slavery there was the view that slaves were "lesser" or "second class" etc.,. So it was acceptable to persist the inequity and mistreatment for generations. Whenever that view is held, you get oppression and bad juju. Apartheid, 3rd world oppression of the lower castes etc.

A see a big part of your hypothetical proposal is that the impoverished individual is not perpetually impoverished. In fact, the onus and incentive and right thing to do is to get them out of a dire situation. (more on the free will part later)*

This is more akin to real life situations where a impoverished family is given opportunities for self-improvement (e.g. nursing school tuition from a benefactor). Person busts their ass to succeed, and then has a noble obligation to return the favor to other family members. Not uncommon in the Philippines. And a version in India, where there's some reality show on this that my wife streams.

* The free-will angle is a mythical illusion and we can tell ourselves we have it, or not. It's a spectrum and you have to be ok where you are on it. My college kiddo complains about academic load and stress, and she's not free. I tell her to suck it up for now, she's living the great life. Or one can choose to take a job in DC vs. Boston. You're free to choose, but you still have to do the work. It's just degrees of free will.

Sure, it's a package deal and part of that package is that I will be expected to do some work. I still got to choose whether to take the package. Free will does not require that you live a life without consequences.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting thought exercise on self determination and morality [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
. . .
Sure, it's a package deal and part of that package is that I will be expected to do some work. I still got to choose whether to take the package. Free will does not require that you live a life without consequences.

If you didn't have the choice of Boston or DC (i.e. offer was only from one place), that would be like sphere's hypothetical, no? And the hypothetical is even better b/c it come with job security of lifetime employment. And 9-5 would be even better working hours than the mega hours asked of you I imagine.

Sure you could freely choose to not work at all and deal w/consequences. Much like the hypothetical impovershed pre-employee could choose not to work at all somehow I suppose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
ike wrote:
. . .

If you didn't have the choice of Boston or DC (i.e. offer was only from one place), that would be like sphere's hypothetical, no? And the hypothetical is even better b/c it come with job security of lifetime employment. And 9-5 would be even better working hours than the mega hours asked of you I imagine.

Sure you could freely choose to not work at all and deal w/consequences. Much like the hypothetical impovershed pre-employee could choose not to work at all somehow I suppose.

I was just using that example to illustrate the notion of free will. I had the ability to choose. Various forces in life may influence my choice, but I still got to choose.

The choice among law firms in two cities was not the full universe of choices available to me. I could have pursued a law job in government. Or go solo. Or seek a job entirely outside of law. Or go for charity. Or date someone with money. Or be homeless. These options all have consequences, some of which would have been unappealing. But, they were still options I could have chosen.

Sphere’s hypothetical was about someone being, in effect, grabbed off the streets of some poor country and being compelled to work for someone here. Unlike slavery, the job pays well and consumes only part of the day. But, for the at-work portion of the day, there is no choice. That seems very different than the situation with which we are all familiar: you have a range of options, each with its package of pros and cons, and even if one option seems clearly preferable, you’re still free to turn it down.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting thought exercise on self determination and morality [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
My wife took the meta view of everyone being beholden to an economic system in one way or another and accepting the proposition would increase the amount of prosperity in the world and in your immediate influence. She leans yes.

There may be a significant moral difference between one person accepting this scenario, and the scenario being the economic model for all people.

It sounds like your wife is assuming that, if everyone was in this position, they'd all or mostly do good things for their assigned worker. I don't think that is borne out by historical example. If we've seen anything, it's that people will take advantage of each other, treat their "slaves" as lesser than, scramble for as much personal gain as they can, etc.

So while you or your wife might pay the worker well and treat them well, for sure there would be a lot of people who didn't.

This could derail things. But by some of the descriptions in this thread, I can't help but see a comparison in some ways to adoptions. Especially from 3rd world countries. Child has no say, some parents good, some bad, and basically obligated until 18 when they can walk away... Maybe it's better than where they are, but they lose freedom of choice (not that an infant can really make the choice).

Immediately I thought of all the kids Brad and Angelina adopted. Wonder if any are not happy in the situation. What about after the divorce...
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting thought exercise on self determination and morality [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

This could derail things. But by some of the descriptions in this thread, I can't help but see a comparison in some ways to adoptions. Especially from 3rd world countries. Child has no say, some parents good, some bad, and basically obligated until 18 when they can walk away... Maybe it's better than where they are, but they lose freedom of choice (not that an infant can really make the choice).

Immediately I thought of all the kids Brad and Angelina adopted. Wonder if any are not happy in the situation. What about after the divorce...

Nobody chooses their parents. Ergo, nobody has a choice to lose in your hypothetical here.
Quote Reply

Prev Next