Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crosstraining on bike to go sub 3 in marathon [eyetri2024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eyetri2024 wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:

That's sounds like the much faster and better version of me! I'd say I run about 30-35 miles per week on average, and I knocked out an early season 2:36 this year. And just did a fun run through Boston in 2:48 while stopping at beer tents and high fiving every person who wanted one.

I bike a lot though, compared to most AGers at least. I think riding hard for 3-5 hours with a short-to-medium brick run once every weekend is the key addition to my running engine. I can get my HR pretty high and keep it there for a long time on the bike.

And my other 3-4 rides in the week are rarely easy. Lots of threshold and sweet spot work. Maybe one will be easier. Most of my milage on foot is a mid week 8-10 miler and the weekend long run. The rest is mostly speed and tempo work. I consider my walks to work and even my harder swims my "recovery" sessions.

Thanks for the insight!

It sounds like you're doing an LSD run AND a brick workout every weekend?

Can you define "sweet spot work"?

Appreciate it!

I've noticed a lot of the responses here violate the marathon training guidelines of "LSD = 30% of weekly mileage, speed/tempo = ~ 20%, etc" but I guess its ok if we're filling the aerobic bucket in other ways (eg. biking, swimming).

Sweet spot is ~90% (give or take a couple %) of your threshold. It's a great balance between intensity and volume (or the sweet spot if you will).
Quote Reply

Prev Next