Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowguy's Review of Civil War?
Quote | Reply
did i miss the review? if not published here yet i need someone not on the far left/right, who doesn't drink to excess, and who basically is the sort of person paul described to timothy (chapter 3). and who's a movie buff. and who's at home in the lavender room. to write this review. please?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowguy's Review of Civil War? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Found a picture of he whom you seek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I’m not sure if I’ll go see this one. I’m traveling a bunch for work, and I don’t know how interested I am in it. We get plenty of national divide without paying good money to go spend a couple of tense uncomfortable hours in a movie theater for some more.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowguy's Review of Civil War? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Unfortunately, I’m not sure if I’ll go see this one. I’m traveling a bunch for work, and I don’t know how interested I am in it. We get plenty of national divide without paying good money to go spend a couple of tense uncomfortable hours in a movie theater for some more.

Good response.

Makes me think of how I watch sports. I only ever see the positives. It’s entertainment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

i feel the same way. that's why i wanted you to head into battle first ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I have not seen it.

But, apparently, it is not at all about the blue/red divide of this country. That is never touched on.

The film is more about war and survival, and how war takes on a life of its own, especially so when brothers fight brothers for reasons they no longer understand, remember, or even care about.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Slowguy's Review of Civil War? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Slowman wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I have not seen it.

But, apparently, it is not at all about the blue/red divide of this country. That is never touched on.

The film is more about war and survival, and how war takes on a life of its own, especially so when brothers fight brothers for reasons they no longer understand, remember, or even care about.

Sounds like national divide to me.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Slowman wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I have not seen it.

Sounds like national divide to me.

Maybe, I haven't seen it. But reviews seem to indicate that it is about something else.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Slowguy's Review of Civil War? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Slowman wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I have not seen it.

Reviews I've read touch on about how journalism is counted on to record for the future.
And Mr. Kristen Dunst (Jesse Plemons)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I usually check out PluggedIn before I visit the theater. https://www.pluggedin.com/...iews/civil-war-2024/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
did i miss the review? if not published here yet i need someone not on the far left/right, who doesn't drink to excess, and who basically is the sort of person paul described to timothy (chapter 3). and who's a movie buff. and who's at home in the lavender room. to write this review. please?

I'm not at home here and made a rare visit because I was interested to see if there was a thread on this film. I've seen it. I know from the tri forum that you read the NYT. I read the NYT review and the opinion pieces on the film (including Douthat's) before and after seeing the film and I think they do a good job of describing the content. This snip from the WSJ review describes it well: "This supposed cautionary tale isn't really about American divides at all. It's about the psychology of journalists, specifically the transnational band of roving war reporters and photographers..."The film didn't make me angry. It made me sad. I'm certainly not a fan of film violence but it was worth my $ and time.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 19, 24 11:11
Quote Reply