Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What are your weekend plans? Apr 20/21 [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
j p o wrote:
Just got back from helping plant 2000 trees. Using a mechanical planter 6 of us got it done in about 4 hours.

This afternoon the wife and I are attacking some invasive bushes on our property.

This sounds a lot like work.

Mostly walking along marking and mowing the lines and making sure they were in the ground far enough. The planter is behind a tractor, cuts a slice, put the tree in, it pushes it back together.

The invasives we trim and paint with brush killer. Not hard, just tedious.

Even with 6 people and planting mechanically, that still sounds like an impressive rate of trees/minute.

What are you planting? Is it only a single species/variety? What size are the tube stock when planted? How large will they grow and what will your property look like when they mature?
Quote Reply
Re: What are your weekend plans? Apr 20/21 [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Work and dog-sitting, so basically looking after animals all weekend.

Though with the weather cooling down a bit, (albeit still hitting 30°C both days), there's not too much feeding at work. Saltwater croc has had his last feed until the end of October.

I'm guessing from croc you work at a zoo or an aquarium?

Yes, zoo keeper.

Animals have no respect for weekends or holidays, either religious or secular.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your weekend plans? Apr 20/21 [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
j p o wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
j p o wrote:
Just got back from helping plant 2000 trees. Using a mechanical planter 6 of us got it done in about 4 hours.

This afternoon the wife and I are attacking some invasive bushes on our property.

This sounds a lot like work.

Mostly walking along marking and mowing the lines and making sure they were in the ground far enough. The planter is behind a tractor, cuts a slice, put the tree in, it pushes it back together.

The invasives we trim and paint with brush killer. Not hard, just tedious.

Even with 6 people and planting mechanically, that still sounds like an impressive rate of trees/minute.

What are you planting? Is it only a single species/variety? What size are the tube stock when planted? How large will they grow and what will your property look like when they mature?

It's a new nature preserve. Group called Appalachian Ohio Alliance bought 225 acres across the road from me. So through no fault of my own I now live across from a big park.

Reforesting 125 acres along with the forested parts and wetlands already there. They are having a carbon offset company planting a bunch too. I don't really care if carbon offsets are actually a legit thing. They will be planting a bunch of trees here at no cost to the preservation group, actually paying them to be able to do it.

Today was all American Chestnut hybrids. Seedlings. From about 4" up to a foot tall. Very small. Some doubt whether they are actually resistant to blight. We will see. There will be a lot of other species planted with them so not a monoculture forest.

There is also a lot of Russian Olive, honeysuckle, and multiflora rose we will work at killing.

I am very excited about all of this. The creek that runs through there is gorgeous and now preserved.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sherpa duty for my wife's art show. Trailer to the campsite. Unload, setup and eventually load her booth up. Trailer back home.
But I get to chill with Hamish, the wonder scottie at the campsite in the midst of it all.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Work and dog-sitting, so basically looking after animals all weekend.

Though with the weather cooling down a bit, (albeit still hitting 30°C both days), there's not too much feeding at work. Saltwater croc has had his last feed until the end of October.
I'm guessing from croc you work at a zoo or an aquarium?
Yes, zoo keeper.

Animals have no respect for weekends or holidays, either religious or secular.

Huh. I'd at least think they notice Easter. Doesn't one of the rabbits leave its cage and bring eggs and chocolate to the other animals?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Work weekend--surprise!

But had fun things, too, like watching my great-nephew's baseball game.
I finally finished the princess dress for my granddaughter, so that's a relief (had to completely re-do the bottom part because she got taller, as it took me a while to make it. Undoing and re-sewing zippers is not fun.)
And I built some Lego plants. Probably easier than planting 1000 trees. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weekend Day 1 was good, although some sticklers for financial success might think it was an abysmal failure. Not me!

I moved all my junk out of my house and artfully displayed it on my yard and driveway.

Garage sale total: $1
I sold a shabby chic metal watering can in pristine shabby condition to some sweet neighbors for $1. The husband and wife were skeptical that it would hold water. It does. I guarantee it wouldn’t leak and told them that I would provide a full refund if it failed.

The next promising customer asked how much I wanted for my sharpie pen and masking tape that my daughter was using to put price tags on our treasures. The customer seemed disappointed when I declined to sell the pen & tape.

And that’s it! No other sales!

My neighborhood did not do an all-out garage sale effort, like I expected. My friend across the street held a small garage sale and said her sales matched mine. She offered me her wrought iron outdoor dining set for free. I said, no thanks. I have enough crap of my own. Obviously.

I have a junk hauling company showing up in the next hour.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your weekend plans? Apr 20/21 [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Weekend Day 1 was good, although some sticklers for financial success might think it was an abysmal failure. Not me!

I moved all my junk out of my house and artfully displayed it on my yard and driveway.

Garage sale total: $1
I sold a shabby chic metal watering can in pristine shabby condition to some sweet neighbors for $1. The husband and wife were skeptical that it would hold water. It does. I guarantee it wouldn’t leak and told them that I would provide a full refund if it failed.

The next promising customer asked how much I wanted for my sharpie pen and masking tape that my daughter was using to put price tags on our treasures. The customer seemed disappointed when I declined to sell the pen & tape.

And that’s it! No other sales!

My neighborhood did not do an all-out garage sale effort, like I expected. My friend across the street held a small garage sale and said her sales matched mine. She offered me her wrought iron outdoor dining set for free. I said, no thanks. I have enough crap of my own. Obviously.

this is a 10/10 story

yesterday I
- ran and walked
- read
- finished watching Oppenheimer, which I rented from Amazon prime (I saw it in theaters and loved it)

today I
- ran, walked, swam (unfortunately had pain swimming but grateful to be back to 20 min runs)
- am watching Oppenheimer again before it "expires"
- am in the process of making homemade 3 Musketeers bars, as somehow stumbled on online recipe and decided I needed these in my life. Report so far: the recipe checks out (I've made the filling)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your weekend plans? Apr 20/21 [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Work weekend--surprise!

Do you get some weekdays off, or are you salaried and end up working on the weekends? (The latter is my situation)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do have many weekdays off. It balances out, sortof. But most family/fun stuff happens on weekends. It won't be forever, and we've got vacation just on the horizon.

I would love to hear how the Three Musketeers bars turn out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I would love to hear how the Three Musketeers bars turn out!

I'll update later but in the meantime

recipe:
https://www.tastingtable.com/1563180/three-ingredient-cool-whip-candy/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
musketeer update:
I messed up melting the chocolate to dip them in somehow, and have given up on the endeavor - at least for today.

price of a musketeers bar: a dollar at most?
price of making them oneself: one bag of chocolate chips, one container of coolwhip, so probably $7.50 (I had coconut oil).
of course it isn't about price, it's about experience. Most of my experience was washing dishes... but it was fun and coolwhip always feels like a bit of a throwback for me

Quote Reply
Re: What are your weekend plans? Apr 20/21 [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
Son's semi pro soccer game tonight where he gets the start.

Picking up new Ducati Streetfighter v2 motorcycle tomorrow as have been in the market for the last month and finally pulled the trigger. May take it for a short ride but then off to the garage to stare at it for a while ( Italian Motorcycle work of art)

Kids VB tournament sat and Sunday but may miss most of Saturday night as have a formal Gala to attend for work with lots of muckity mucks and bidding on auction items so time to get the tux out of the closet and hope it still fits.

Sunday more VB, perhaps some tearing up the roads on the V2.

Son won the soccer game Friday night and played well. Daughter had a great VB weekend and the team did well overall. The wife got a little crazy at the auction at the Gala and before I knew it, I was on the hook for 10K in silent auction items.

Got the bike parked in the Garage looking nice and ready to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the musketeers project tasty? Cool-whip and coconut oil sounds insane. I think I am a musketeer-skeptic. But different people like different things— so I am not judging you. In fact, I applaud your vision and effort, and I hope it was successful.

My weekend was busy. My kids had friends over for 40 of the 48 hours (approximately) and my in-laws dropped by. As I was talking to my father-in-law, the junk removalists (!) arrived. My right eyelid was twitching, and it was hard manage everything. Thank goodness for the work week. I can finally get some quiet time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Home with the kids while mom worked so we spent a good bit of time outdoors. Finally got around to hanging the basket swing on the northeast border of the upper corn/rye field. It’s the best view of the sunset hitting the mountains on the property and there happens to be a large white oak limb jutting across our fence line, perfect for hanging a swing.

We played velociraptor hunt in the rye and had a picnic dinner while the sun set, vibed on Stick Figure music and enjoed capri sun and Oregon pinot.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: What are your weekend plans? Apr 20/21 [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that your field? Do you harvest the crop?

Intentionally trampling your crop seems counterintuitive (although it does look like fun).
Quote Reply
Re: What are your weekend plans? Apr 20/21 [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s not the most cost effective strategy, granted. It was a limited trampling with paths followed once established.

Definitely worth the $14.78 in lost revenue.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: What are your weekend plans? Apr 20/21 [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It’s not the most cost effective strategy, granted. It was a limited trampling with paths followed once established.

Definitely worth the $14.78 in lost revenue.

You are much nicer/more fun than my dad. I hope it was a great time.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your weekend plans? Apr 20/21 [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Was the musketeers project tasty? Cool-whip and coconut oil sounds insane. I think I am a musketeer-skeptic. But different people like different things— so I am not judging you. In fact, I applaud your vision and effort, and I hope it was successful.

tasty? yes
the coconut oil goes in the chocolate you melt to dip the cool whip mixture in. Apparently it creates shine and makes the chocolate harden. I didnt' really find out on account of an error messing up melting the dipping chocolate (it hardened).

It was fun to try!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
which animal do you enjoy taking care of the most? or what generally are the most fun?

As you might imagine, I'm drawn to cats - big and small.

Quote Reply
Re: What are your weekend plans? Apr 20/21 [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Son won the soccer game Friday night and played well. Daughter had a great VB weekend and the team did well overall. The wife got a little crazy at the auction at the Gala and before I knew it, I was on the hook for 10K in silent auction items.

holy moly. What'd you / she get?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

holy moly. What'd you / she get?

One trip to Costa Rica for 4 and some earrings. Also another two nights at a golf resort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
which animal do you enjoy taking care of the most? or what generally are the most fun?

As you might imagine, I'm drawn to cats - big and small.

Apologies, Dr TC, I didn't get back to answering.

It's not at all an uncommon question for zookeepers. Especially when it's posed as simply as, "Which is favourite animal?"

I often respond it's like asking a parent if they have a favourite child........so of course I do! :) Which often leaves a parent looking unimpressed with my response, while their children look at them suspiciously.

As a group, I enjoy looking after reptiles and amphibians the most. I love their diversity and the complexity of husbandry.

From hatchling geckos of a few grams in weight and small enough to perch on your finger, up to half tonne saltwater crocs.

The diversity is reflected in modes of reproduction; sex not unusually determined by incubation temperature, or even closely related species that may be either egg layers or live bearers. I've bred frog species that lay clutches of as few as 4 eggs (poison dart frogs) that require such elaborate and individual care to bring them through metamorphosis, to tree frogs that will spawn several thousand.

Working with reptiles and frogs is also particularly hands on, which gives me a certain comfort and pleasure. Reptile keepers generally work much closer with their animals than those caring for mammals, birds or fish.

As far as individual animals I've most enjoyed working with, it's been such a long list.

A quirky and engaging Andean condor. A massive but gentle Komodo dragon, who loved a gentle scratch each morning. A colony of affectionate fruit bats, with particularly the females having their own idiosyncrasies. Or that orphan wallaby, hand-raised from such a vulnerable age with multiple bottle feeds through the night.

I will confess, I'm not so much a cat person. I have worked a little with lions, tigers, snow leopards, Temminck's golden cats, Asian fishing cats, however I found clouded leopards peculiarly enchanting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I often respond it's like asking a parent if they have a favourite child........so of course I do! :) Which often leaves a parent looking unimpressed with my response, while their children look at them suspiciously.

oh, I know for sure I'm ranked 2 (of 3) on my parents' list

thanks for your response!

Quote Reply

Prev Next