Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Arizona 2024
Quote | Reply
It's official. I just signed up this morning. This will be my first (and likely only) full IM. Who will be with me?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona 2024 [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll likely be in the area, and thinking of volunteering with my kids.

I had a choice of Panama City Beach a couple weeks earlier or Arizona, so I chose Florida :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona 2024 [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, can I ask why you chose Florida? I considered three courses for IM, the three flattest I could find because I don't do well on hills (particularly the run). I looked at Sacramento, which I believe was my best option for a good finish but went another direction for reasons I would rather not post here. I also considered Florida, but I do not do well in humidity. I have family around Ft. Myers and have run a couple triathlons down there already. Even in the "winter/spring", I find the humidity to be oppressive. I settled on Tempe because it best meets all of my criteria - reasonably flat, low humidity and close enough I can drive, which saves me the hassle and expense of shipping a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Family trip + business in the area make up 40%.
Timing to 70.3 worlds preferable with AZ being that much closer and I'll be trashed. 30%
The fact that the bike course isnt a bunch of loops is exciting for me, but not real strong course preferences, I'm equally happy to race hills or flats. It's just different hards. 30%
Last edited by: Lurker4: Apr 19, 24 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona 2024 [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get you. It was actually something of a relief to ride the Arizona course. I found that I can, in fact already have, created a course with nearly identical terrain right here in town. So I can train locally for almost the exact course I will be riding in November.

The hills aren't quite as big a deal on the ride as on the run. Still would prefer flat, but I can handle them much better riding. On the run course, I have identified at least two hills, one pretty short, the other fairly long, in which I already know I'll be walking. No getting around that, but if all goes reasonably well on the swim and bike segments, I should have plenty of time for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
a course with nearly identical terrain right here in town. So I can train locally for almost the exact course I will be riding in November.

I did Arizona in 2022 as my first and you're absolutely correct about the similar riding terrain for training here in Las Vegas. The hills on the run course aren't too bad either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:

and close enough I can drive, which saves me the hassle and expense of shipping a bike.

As a 5x IM finisher, I can say that the above is enough to choose one race over another regardless of all other factors...........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona 2024 [Lehrn2Lose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lehrn2Lose wrote:
VegasJen wrote:
a course with nearly identical terrain right here in town. So I can train locally for almost the exact course I will be riding in November.

I did Arizona in 2022 as my first and you're absolutely correct about the similar riding terrain for training here in Las Vegas. The hills on the run course aren't too bad either.
I'm actually out in Pahrump, but I've mapped out a course that is nearly identical.

As part of my preparation, I made it a point to go down to Tempe and look over the bike course. At home I mapped out a route of extremely similar distance (only 0.2mile difference) and similar elevation, quite literally the exact same elevation gain, although different grades. I'll be able to practice my route between now and then. The Arizona (Tempe) course is three out and back loops of 37.3 miles to give us the total of 112 miles. My route for three laps is less than a mile different. So I'll ride it multiple times between now and November with at least one (but probably a few) full days of the three laps to mimic the course. I rode it this morning and did the 37 miles in 2 hours, 6 minutes, averaging 18mph. My goal for IMAZ is to only average 16.5mph so I can save some leg for the run.

Here's a comparison of the Tempe route elevation versus my route elevation. Grade is different but the elevation is identical. What are the odds on that???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm considering it as well.

I DNF'd the race back in 2017, so I'd like to go back and experience the finish line. It's a great course and great community. (One of the bars was offering free beer to any IM finisher the night of the race)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ever get bored with that route and make it over the hill three laps between the Terrible's on 160 and the Dunkin Donuts+one trip up to Late Night Trailhead is also really close as well :).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona 2024 [Lehrn2Lose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often do Desert Foothills Dr. to 160 and back (or vice versa). It's exactly 30 miles, and not a flat spot on the route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s not the elevation, it’s the wind on the bike and It’s the cold water swim

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona 2024 [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. When I did in 21 there think was highest ever DNF rate, was windy.
Quote Reply