Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Silca sealant dried inside tire
Quote | Reply
first time removing tires after using silca sealant and i noticed something i have not seen with other sealants - there was a layer of dried sealant on the inside of the tire, not just a thin film like normal but a thick skin that i could peel off (with some dificulty). one section of each tire was even thicker than the rest with significant clumps of fibres suggesting it had dried while sitting in the garage. the remaining liquid sealant was a lot thicker than original consistency too. so it seems my tires had gained significant weight and there was little sealing ability left.
  • i had filled according to recommendation with an initial and then topped up with replenisher after less than 3 months - that was 2 months ago so not due for top up yet
  • no punctures that i am aware of
  • moderate climate, 30C as a rare absolute max, low-moderate humidity
  • regular riding and kept inflated throughout
  • tires were vittoria corsa pro

is this normal and is it something to be concerned about?
Quote Reply
Re: Silca sealant dried inside tire [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had similar experiences across multiple tyres. It also dissolves certain rim tapes (in my case leading to rim tape failure). Got in touch with company and they basically say working as intended and bad quality rim tape. I moved on...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the latex film is thicker, that just means they use a higher latex concentration or you used more sealant.

The clumping was an issue for many with the early batches and I think Silca adjusted the formula.
Quote Reply
Re: Silca sealant dried inside tire [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
The clumping was an issue for many with the early batches and I think Silca adjusted the formula.

the early batch i had didn't contain any fibres... my assumption is that the replacement is an as intended batch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My results were similar, I went back to Orange Seal.

I suspect that most people have similar issues, which is why it’s now basically at constant clearance pricing.

Quote | Reply
I ride with lots of people who have had similar issues with the Silca sealant: it works well but dries up quickly. They've also said the Silca "replenisher" doesn't really work. I'd say the Silca stuff is a good option for a race day sealant, but perhaps not for everyday use. I've stuck with classic Stan's for years for training without issue. It's easy to replenish through the valve stem and it has sealed several leaks for me. I see no reason to change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in a shop and deal with mostly Orange Seal, but use Silca for myself. I've noticed that with mine and a number of others I done in the shop. The other day a lot of clumping with an Orange Seal customer so not just Silca IMO. Could be temperature based or how much use; I'm going to see what other people say but I've seen it on a few different sealants.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Silca sealant dried inside tire [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GaryGeiger wrote:
I work in a shop and deal with mostly Orange Seal, but use Silca for myself. I've noticed that with mine and a number of others I done in the shop. The other day a lot of clumping with an Orange Seal customer so not just Silca IMO. Could be temperature based or how much use; I'm going to see what other people say but I've seen it on a few different sealants.

I use Orange Seal on my road, gravel, and mtb. Having bought a new gravel bike in February, last week I finally got around to removing my tires on my old gravel bike which I hadn't ridden since buying the new one. There were definitely sealant clumps and a thick film inside the tire. I was able to hose most of it out and did have to peel away a bit. Same thing happened on my mtb when I removed the tires for storage. There was definitely clumping in them.

My biggest concern about sealant is how it's going to perform on a puncture and so far, Orange Seal seems to work pretty well for me. YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:

Same experience with Silca on my side, but at least it seals for good.

Stans stays liquid for long, but I've been accumulating multiple slow punctures, that never seal (e.g. I may grab a bike from a cellar after 1 week of holidays, and it's slightly wet around a few punctures).

I also use Muc-Off. Kind-of in the middle of the above two.
Quote Reply
Re: Silca sealant dried inside tire [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
pk1 wrote:

Same experience with Silca on my side, but at least it seals for good.

Stans stays liquid for long, but I've been accumulating multiple slow punctures, that never seal (e.g. I may grab a bike from a cellar after 1 week of holidays, and it's slightly wet around a few punctures).

I also use Muc-Off. Kind-of in the middle of the above two.

Just a note: Stan's has regular and a race versions of their sealant - the latter being much thicker.
Quote Reply