Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Make folding side-view mirrors on cars mandatory [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure it’s safer, but that’s hardly relevant in this context. Wear all the fluorescent gear you want, it won’t help if someone opens their door without looking.
Quote Reply
Re: Make folding side-view mirrors on cars mandatory [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am against any more government mandates. I can't stand modern cars now with back up cameras and radar cruise control and all the other nonsense being forced on vehicles. I grew up without any of this stuff and I'm a better driver for it.

But I don't live in a congested city either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But then when someone's mirror is broken or stuck to the "closed" position and you make the assumption. Who is to blame?

These kind of things feel nice at the time but just serve to create complacency. Complacency kills.

It is on me as the rider to be aware of my surroundings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be a nice bonus, but even if mandated it will take years/decades for most cars to be so equipped.
I also try to ride as much as possible to ride outside the door zone. Best to make it near impossible to get doored.
I was disappointed when I bought a 2022 Tacoma that the mirrors only fold manually.

A feature I've seen on a bunch of newer cars that I can't stand is the reverse lights coming on when the doors are opened. They seem to stay on a long time, maybe until put in gear? There's stupid me encountering about to back of a parking spot when they are actually just sitting in their car.
Quote Reply
Re: Make folding side-view mirrors on cars mandatory [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
trail wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

With the huge push for e-cars, people will be holding their old cars a LOT longer

I'm doubtful/sceptical. The American culture for car upgrades is strong.

Although I agree with you - There is a reason hellcats are selling for 100k over sticker. People don't want e-cars.

I hope you're not suggesting that the Hellcat is a typical car or that Hellcat customers are a good representation of the typical American car buyer. Oldies like Jim above will avoid folding mirrors because they hate any kind of change, but most people just move on to what is current.
Quote Reply
Re: Make folding side-view mirrors on cars mandatory [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
trail wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

With the huge push for e-cars, people will be holding their old cars a LOT longer

I'm doubtful/sceptical. The American culture for car upgrades is strong.

Although I agree with you - There is a reason hellcats are selling for 100k over sticker. People don't want e-cars.

I hope you're not suggesting that the Hellcat is a typical car or that Hellcat customers are a good representation of the typical American car buyer. Oldies like Jim above will avoid folding mirrors because they hate any kind of change, but most people just move on to what is current.

That was just an example as Dodge is the first to take a loved vehicle and cancel it. Wait till ford does the same with the F150 - That truck will sell at an amazing mark-up when you can't get it anymore.
Quote Reply

Prev Next