Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Runner hit and killed in rural Minnasota
Quote | Reply
Hello ST community, we received a shocking call on Saturday morning that my 39yo mother-of-three sister-in-law was hit and killed while out on her long run training for her next marathon. She was out on some rural roads in central MN and a 25yo in a chevy truck claims he crested a hill and didn't see her or her friend due to a raise in the road, but I looked at the location on Google earth and it is very difficult to understand how (especially in a truck) he didn't see them. The scene made it clear that she was hit at a very high rate of speed. She and her husband were very involved in their local town and pastors of a local church. She has always loved running and just recently started getting more serious about longer distances.

I worry every time I toss my leg over the bike and head out for a ride... I don't think I have ever given a second thought of cars being an issue when out on a run. More questions than answers... like how could they not hear the truck coming, how could he not stop. swerve, honk the horn, something... anything. We do think they were running on the right side of the road, so that may have limited their ability to see the truck coming. He hit her from behind.

Marie is on the left with her training partner on the right(who was not hit, but was running next to Marie when it happened.) She will be deeply missed. Embrace every single day moment you have here... be careful out there and be thankful for every sunrise.

Fundraiser for David Savage by Brandon Marlana Wenzel : Stand with Marie Savage's Family in Loss (gofundme.com)
Crash In Cottonwood County Kills One PedestrianMon 4-29-2024

(Windom)- The Cottonwood County Sheriff’s Office shared some information about a Saturday crash that ended the life of a pedestrian. A call was received to the office on April 27th at around 8:18 am, when a report of an accident involving a motor vehicle and a pedestrian came in.
The accident was located on Cottonwood County Road 3, 1.5 miles east of Cottonwood County Road 2. First responders were paged to the scene. Further investigation determined that a 2018 Chevrolet Silverado, driven by a 25 year old male from rural Bingham Lake was eastbound on Cottonwood County Road 3. Two pedestrians were jogging, also eastbound on the road, and the car crested a hill, striking Marie Savage, age 39 of Mountain Lake. Savage was pronounced dead at the scene.
The accident remains under investigation, but a news release from Center Point Church the morning of the accident says that they were grieved to share the news that Pastor Marie had passed away, saying that the church was open to those who want to stop by and pray.

Last edited by: gregtay: Apr 29, 24 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: Runner hit and killed in rural Minnasota [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's just terrible; I know the fear of sharing the road with large vehicles (Silverados, F-150/250s, etc.)

gregtay wrote:
... a 25yo in a Chevy truck claims he crested a hill and didn't see her or her friend due to a rise in the road, but I looked at the location on Google earth and it is very difficult to understand how (especially in a truck) he didn't see them.

It's hard to follow the road when you're a 25 y/o, looking at the massive entertainment display on the dashboard, trying to find "that perfect 'driving song' for the open road"

I swear, they need to ban those fucking multi-functional infotainment systems and stick to JUST GPS

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Apr 29, 24 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s horrible. Since it sounds like the driver was not drunk or otherwise impaired, I’d bet he was playing on his phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like the images were not loading in my original post. fixed.

Quote | Reply
Very sad to hear.

I'm not so worried about it when I run because I generally stick to neighborhood streets and I live in an older community. I'm sure it could still happen, I just think it's less likely.

However, every time I mount the bike for a training ride, I honestly think "this could be the last day of my life". That's not hyperbole. Because I live in a small, rural community, there are quite a few roads here that have no meaningful shoulder, let alone dedicated bike lanes. Some roads have no shoulder at all, to the point the pavement with the lane marker is crumbling off into the dirt. Some shoulders are maybe 18" wide. There is a marked bicycle lane out on the highway, and that shoulder is a good 6' wide, but it's a 10 mile ride just to get there. I have been buzzed by autos several times, close enough to scare the shit out of me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible news and sorry for your loss.

As a fellow rural MN resident and runner, I always run on the left side of the road into traffic without headphones on so I can both see and hear traffic. The speed at which they approach since you are moving so slow is just so great and reduces the drivers reaction time.

As to the driver, the classic “I did not see them” will likely get them off with no punishment even if they should not be allowed to drive down the road if they somehow did not see someone the size of an adult on the road in front of them.

Also minor point of contention, Cottonwood county is much more southern MN (well, south central MN). Way too close to Iowa to be called central MN :)
Quote Reply
Re: Runner hit and killed in rural Minnasota [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
As to the driver, the classic “I did not see them” will likely get them off with no punishment even if they should not be allowed to drive down the road if they somehow did not see someone the size of an adult on the road in front of them.

Especially during daylight, unless they want to claim "the sun was in my eyes"

Which, according to what I see on Google, Cottonwood County Road 3 IS directly East/West, so it's a possibility that I'm sure The Defense will explore

Last edited by: RandMart: Apr 29, 24 18:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firstly, sorry about the loss of your sister-in-law.

Secondly, and this isn't meant to cast blame on her, but rather meant as a cautionary note, but reading between the lines of the crash report it appears she may have been running with her back to traffic. The report states that both the vehicle and the runner were going eastbound, but there was no mention of the vehicle being in the wrong lane.

Due to some physical issues, I haven't run in quite a long time, but I started running in the '70s and with the exception of running in formation in the Army, I have never once run with my back to traffic. Running facing traffic was so ingrained in me that I can't walk with my back to traffic and am even a little uneasy with my back to traffic if I'm on a sidewalk.

I see people every day, and have for years, running with their backs to traffic. Just don't. And if you know someone who does, give them sh.t about it until they stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so very sorry for your loss. How deeply tragic and senseless an accident...and yet, all too common...

I do agree with your thoughts of embracing moments, being careful and thankful-yet your heart will likely be heavy for a while.

sending my deepest condolences-
DT
Quote Reply
Re: Runner hit and killed in rural Minnasota [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
That's just terrible; I know the fear of sharing the road with large vehicles (Silverados, F-150/250s, etc.)

I worry a lot more about the Tesla's and other e-cars you can't hear.

I swear, they need to ban those fucking multi-functional infotainment systems and stick to JUST GPS

I couldn't agree more.

To the OP - so sorry. As for not hearing then truck - headphones?
Quote Reply
Re: Runner hit and killed in rural Minnasota [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
I worry a lot more about the Tesla's and other e-cars you can't hear.

Before there were Teslas and other fully EVs, I almost got clobbered by Prius while running

I was at a stoplight. She was stopped right in front of me. I had the green, but she was making a right on red; she was ON THE PHONE, she didn't look, and I couldn't hear her pulling forward, as I stepped off the curb to run.

Now, I'm even MORE vigilant to be 100% damn certain that I make eye contact with whoever is in that lane before I move on; if I gotta wait a little, so be it

Quote:
As for not hearing then truck - headphones?

She was running with her friend, so I doubt they were wearing headphones; just casually chatting amongst themselves as two people running together would do

Such a shame - I'll bet her friend is gonna have some "Survivor's Guilt" to deal with, too

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry for your loss. As someone who runs a good amount on fairly busy roads with no shoulder it hits home. One thing about running against traffic is you get to see what the drivers are actually doing while driving and it’s downright scary if not criminal how many are distracted. It’s also a reason I haven’t ridden outside in 5 years.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Runner hit and killed in rural Minnasota [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
…this isn't meant to cast blame on her, but rather meant as a cautionary note, but reading between the lines of the crash report it appears she may have been running with her back to traffic.

I see people every day, and have for years, running with their backs to traffic. Just don't. And if you know someone who does, give them sh.t about it until they stop.

Totally agree, and in some states (possibly not this one though) it is the law that you must run facing oncoming traffic, i.e., the “left side”.
Quote Reply
Re: Runner hit and killed in rural Minnasota [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
As someone who runs a good amount on fairly busy roads with no shoulder it hits home. One thing about running against traffic is you get to see what the drivers are actually doing while driving and it’s downright scary if not criminal how many are distracted. It’s also a reason I haven’t ridden outside in 5 years.

You also get an opportunity to make yourself seen, and shout "Over HERE, you fucking asshole!!!" Or "Heads up, motherfucker!!!"

Or words to that effect #YouDoYou

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible to hear.
I live in a very rural and hilly area and I am constantly concerned about just such an incident. I always run on the left side of the road and when a car is coming towards me I'll momentarily switch to the right until it passes then its right back to the left side of the road.
On the bike I can't do that so I am constantly checking behind me for drivers and if I hear a car coming from behind I sit up and try and get as "big" as possible sometimes even standing up and pedaling so as not to be unseen.
I have driven these roads myself and have come upon cyclists over a rise in the road that are way too far to the left and thought to myself they better watch it or they're going to get hit.
My condolences to the family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry for your loss. Her poor kids, and husband. I cannot imagine the grief.

I would not be surprised if the driver was distracted, and that is the reason he did not see her. I hope they check his phone to see if he was texting at the moment of impact.

I run on a busy road, some mornings. Fortunately this road has a very wide shoulder so I am never in close proximity to cars. And I run facing oncoming traffic. As I am running, I am watching each of the drivers and its is downright scary the percentage of drivers who are on their phones texting and/or watching entertainment while driving. I bet it's at least 75% of drivers I see each morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Condolences to you and the rest of her family! It is unusual to read a post of a runner being hit and killed while training because most often it is someone riding. I agree with others that when running its best to face oncoming traffic to give you that chance to take evasive action if necessary. I did read that both driver and runner(s) were heading east in the early am. That could definitely be a contributing factor as the sun can be blinding at that time of day. If it turns out to be distracted driving, I hope they throw the book at the kid. If it was truly an "accident" I feel for him. Either way he will have to live the rest of his life with the fact that he killed someone. Sad all around.
Quote Reply
Re: Runner hit and killed in rural Minnasota [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, as other have mentioned: from what we understand the two were running on the right (not left, so typically considered the "wrong" side of the road.) We aren't sure why they were on the right side of the road with traffic coming from behind them, this would not have been normal for them on their runs. We can all agree this isn't the optimal or safest way to run on a road. So being on the wrong side of the road certainly contributed to them not seeing the car coming and being able to get out of the way if they saw that he wasn't maneuvering to avoid them. They were running east, the driver was traveling east, it was early in the morning about 2 hours after sunrise, so the sun could have also been a factor. They were running side by side talking, so Marie was more "in the road", there isn't much extra pavement/shoulder on these roads. Many little things aligning resulted in the outcome.